Trip Report Phil getting swallowed by a shark is so September. It's time for a November Disney trip report!!!

NOTE - November 7, 2016 - For those of you just looking for the Disney portion of this trip report, it begins on Page 11. If you're looking for the Key West portion, begin on Page 5. PS - Original title of this thread was "Phil got swallowed by a Great White Shark - it's time to go back!"

NOTE - September 9, 2016 - For those of you who don't feel like scrolling through the "pre-trip report" stuff, I totally get it and the Key West portion of the actual trip begins on Page Five. The Disney Old Key West portion will begin in November. :) I'll give the page that starts on too. Now back to your regularly scheduled pre-trip report for those who want to read all of the posts.

Well, not exactly.

Or should I say, not yet.

Or should I say, Phil is actually the Great White Shark.

Ummm.... what exactly am I saying here, or trying to say, totally unsuccessfully?

Well, here goes.

For those of you who don't chat with us on the Chit Chat Thread, and damn you to all of you who don't (kidding! - come chat!), you will not really know how anti-Disney my partner Phil has been toward Disney since our last trip, which was last June. I'm not going to mince words - he has basically been a total jerk. Every time I bring up going back to Disney, he does something very similar to this:

The last time I brought it up, he said, and I quote, "I would rather be waterboarded than go back there!!!"

That can be arranged, is what I was thinking.

But wait! How can he possibly hate it so much when he acts like he loves it when he is there?? Your honor, I present to you the following evidence:

Biergarten.JPG

And this (if he's a little less happy here it's just cause there is no drink in his paw. :hungover:

Mexico.JPG

And this!

Boardwalk Villa.JPG

And this!!

Spoons.JPG

I could keep going all night, but you get the idea. I find him guilty of secretly liking Disney - at least once he gets there. This is not a tortured, miserable soul at a Disney park. He is having fun. So why all the pushback for going back?

Well, let me quote once again:

"I don't know why we have to go there all the time when there all all sorts of other places to go to!!!!"

Okay. Point taken. I didn't bring it up again for a while.

Then, a series of unfortunate events happened in very quick order, or actually just two that felt like a lot:

I got downsized (that means fired, due to budget cutbacks) from a job I had held for 19 years.Here is what was my incredible office:

Office 4.JPG

And then, soon after, our little cat, Spooky, started screaming in the middle of the night and we ran downstairs to find out what was going on, and the back half of him was paralyzed and cold. He wouldn't stop screaming. We rushed him as fast as possible to a 24-7 animal hospital and they told us that he had a sudden blood clot that had burst and paralyzed him and there was a 99.9% chance that there was no hope. We were basically forced to put Spooky to sleep. :(

Spooky hockey.JPG

Spooky snow.JPG
Spooky tub.JPG

The tears flowed like the River Jordan.

Yeah, it's been a rough patch folks.

But on the good news side, my contract got picked up by one of my previous job's competitors, and I was only out of work for 2 weeks. On the other hand, nothing can replace a sweet cat that didn't deserve to go in such a violent way. Where am I going with this?

Oh yes, that's right. You see, from my previous job, I got a small, but to me, significant severance package. People I tell about it laugh and say it's nothing, but to me, who has lived from paycheck to paycheck my entire life, I finally have money in the bank ---- but not for long if I have anything to say about it, dammit!!

This is my very long and meandering way of saying that I finally convinced Phil to go back to Disney, but only because I surprised him by telling him that for his birthday (on September 15), I was taking him to Key West. We've never been, and assuming that he does not get swallowed by the great white shark in the title of this thread, we are then doing a Key West-a-Palooza and we are going to be staying at Old Key West from November 1 - 4 for Food and Wine Festival.

Look! I themed our Fall! :)

I feel like this resort is totally out of the way of everything, but when I looked at the 25% discount offer that they currently have, I was able to book a one bedroom villa (!!!!) at Old Key West for $150.00 less than it would have been to book a standard room at the Contemporary. It was kind of like an offer I could not refuse.

Yeah, so three nights is basically just a tease, but as I told my pals on the Chit Chat thread (and again, why aren't the rest of you having fun there too??) , I'm going to use this as an excuse to demand a new trip for 2017. ;) And since the Philmonster is bound to throw a fit about that, I am going to search out that Bounce Back Offer as soon as I get to the room. :) If you want, I'll post the details/pics of the Key West trip in September prior to the November trip to the World.

Hope you are all having a great summer.

:D

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

Well, not exactly.

Ummm.... what exactly am I saying here, or trying to say, totally unsuccessfully?

Well, here goes.

For those of you who don't chat with us on the Chit Chat Thread, and damn you to all of you who don't (kidding! - come chat!), you will not really know how anti-Disney my partner Phil has been toward Disney since our last trip, which was last June. I'm not going to mince words - he has basically been a total jerk. Every time I bring up going back to Disney, he does something very similar to this:

The last time I brought it up, he said, and I quote, "I would rather be waterboarded than go back there!!!"

But wait! How can he possibly hate it so much when he acts like he loves it when he is there?? Your honor, I present to you the following evidence:

View attachment 157027
And this (if he's a little less happy here it's just cause there is no drink in his paw. :hungover:

View attachment 157028

And this!

View attachment 157029

And this!!

View attachment 157030

I could keep going all night, but you get the idea. I find him guilty of secretly liking Disney - at least once he gets there. This is not a tortured, miserable soul at a Disney park. He is having fun. So why all the pushback for going back?

"I don't know why we have to go there all the time when there all all sorts of other places to go to!!!!"

Then, a series of unfortunate events happened in very quick order, or actually just two that felt like a lot:

I got downsized (that means fired, due to budget cutbacks) from a job I had held for 19 years.Here is what was my incredible office:

View attachment 157032

And then, soon after, our little cat, Spooky, started screaming in the middle of the night and we ran downstairs to find out what was going on, and the back half of him was paralyzed and cold. He wouldn't stop screaming. We rushed him as fast as possible to a 24-7 animal hospital and they told us that he had a sudden blood clot that had burst and paralyzed him and there was a 99.9% chance that there was no hope. We were basically forced to put Spooky to sleep. :(

View attachment 157033
View attachment 157034 View attachment 157035

But on the good news side, my contract got picked up by one of my previous job's competitors, and I was only out of work for 2 weeks. On the other hand, nothing can replace a sweet cat that didn't deserve to go in such a violent way. Where am I going with this?

Oh yes, that's right. You see, from my previous job, I got a small, but to me, significant severance package. People I tell about it laugh and say it's nothing, but to me, who has lived from paycheck to paycheck my entire life, I finally have money in the bank ---- but not for long if I have anything to say about it, dammit!!

This is my very long and meandering way of saying that I finally convinced Phil to go back to Disney, but only because I surprised him by telling him that for his birthday (on September 15), I was taking him to Key West. We've never been, and assuming that he does not get swallowed by the great white shark in the title of this thread, we are then doing a Key West-a-Palooza and we are going to be staying at Old Key West from November 1 - 4 for Food and Wine Festival.

I feel like this resort is totally out of the way of everything, but when I looked at the 25% discount offer that they currently have, I was able to book a one bedroom villa (!!!!) at Old Key West for $150.00 less than it would have been to book a standard room at the Contemporary. It was kind of like an offer I could not refuse.

Yeah, so three nights is basically just a tease, but as I told my pals on the Chit Chat thread (and again, why aren't the rest of you having fun there too??) , I'm going to use this as an excuse to demand a new trip for 2017. ;) And since the Philmonster is bound to throw a fit about that, I am going to search out that Bounce Back Offer as soon as I get to the room. :) If you want, I'll post the details/pics of the Key West trip in September prior to the November trip to the World.

I'm so sorry about your cat. That's just awful. Glad your rough patch has turned around!! Looking forward to hearing more about your plans!

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
I'm so sorry about your cat. That's just awful. Glad your rough patch has turned around!! Looking forward to hearing more about your plans!
Thank you so much. That night was so awful. But I guess us pet lovers know what we are getting into. It's basically a countdown to heartbreak. But hopefully we can provide them with a beautiful life in the meantime.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So sad about your cat! I am so sorry :(.

Glad you're getting to go back to WDW though!! I'm excited to see how Old Key West is. I've always thought it looked really nice.
Thank so much - but don't you feel like Old Key West is in the middle of nowhere? I'm not really sold on this yet. There must be some reason why they offered me a crazy low rate for a one bedroom villa. Anyway, it'll be fun. :)

sheriffwoody

Thank so much - but don't you feel like Old Key West is in the middle of nowhere? I'm not really sold on this yet. There must be some reason why they offered me a crazy low rate for a one bedroom villa. Anyway, it'll be fun. :)
Yeah, but no more so than the other resorts that aren't on the monorail or boardwalk. I enjoyed both Port Orleans resorts, and they are in the same area. I think it'll be fun for y'all! One of the couples we met at a Food & Wine event last year has DVC at Old Key West and they love it. They talked it up a lot because of the relaxed vibe. I have gotten spoiled by the convenient resorts though!

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Yeah, but no more so than the other resorts that aren't on the monorail or boardwalk. I enjoyed both Port Orleans resorts, and they are in the same area. I think it'll be fun for y'all! One of the couples we met at a Food & Wine event last year has DVC at Old Key West and they love it. They talked it up a lot because of the relaxed vibe. I have gotten spoiled by the convenient resorts though!
Me too. How am I going to get back to Old Key West in one piece after a drink around the world? Errrr... don't answer.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
At first I wondered how many drinks you'd had before coming up with your trip report title ;). Then I read about your job loss...and worse, the loss of your beloved Spooky...and I felt awful. Putting down our furry friend was one of the worst days of my life that still causes me to tear up two years later.

(Dries eyes) But so happy for your Key West-a-thon (oops, a-Palooza!) and of course count me in for the pre- and post trip reports!

Paging @brifraz, lover of Old Key West resort! Help encourage Buddy about his resort pick! :p

Tony the Tigger

Awww, Buddy. Very sorry about Spooky, that must have been awful.

Been there. My Baby (no, I really named her Baby) was with me from 2 weeks after my 18th birthday in my first apartment until 2 weeks after my honeymoon at age 36. Couldn't talk to anyone for days. I get it.

It took me almost 2 years before I would even go look at a dog at the pound (which ended up turning out really well!!)

Please don't make me start reading the chit chat chit chat thread.

Re: Key West: love the real one. Never stayed at the Disney one, but we have eaten at Olivia's a few times and always enjoy it. Laid back, decent, not too pricey, cocktails...

A friend of ours has a DVC rental there and she seems to like it. I wonder if you could get an even better deal renting DVC points to stay there? Might be worth checking into.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Thank you so much. That night was so awful. But I guess us pet lovers know what we are getting into. It's basically a countdown to heartbreak. But hopefully we can provide them with a beautiful life in the meantime.

That's certainly the truth. I'm so, so sorry about Spooky. :cry: :cry::cry:

It will be fun!! What a brilliant idea, to combine a trip the actual Key West with a stay at Old Key West! OKW is my home resort and I love it so much. When we bought into DVC, we had the choice between OKW and Boardwalk. Now that F&W exists, Boardwalk was probably the smarter choice, and I do love to stay there (especially during F&W ;)), but I fell in love with Old Key West and its pastel, relaxed vibe. They sell DVC as "home away from home" and OKW really feels like it, it's like a neighborhood. The rooms are larger than anywhere else, and you are going to love that 1BR villa, I promise. The only drawback is the bus service, which can be frustrating, probably because the resort is so big. Request a room in the vicinity of the Peninsular Road bus stop. That's the first bus stop on the way back from the parks, and it's easy walking distance to the Hospitality House, which is the last bus stop before heading out to the parks--I always walk to HH for the bus when on the way to the parks, and coming back, first stop and you're "home". Oh, and it'll put you in easy walking distance to the Gurgling Suitcase ;)

Me too. How am I going to get back to Old Key West in one piece after a drink around the world? Errrr... don't answer.

Valid point, but...

I wouldn't worry too much they're Disney drinks. Besides you're from the city so I'm sure you know the word Taxi lol

there's your answer!! :D

Please don't make me start reading the chit chat chit chat thread.

We'll make a pact to resist. Stay strong!! :joyfull:

betty rose

Well, not exactly.

Well, here goes.

View attachment 157027

View attachment 157028

And this!

View attachment 157029

And this!!

View attachment 157030

View attachment 157032

View attachment 157033
View attachment 157034 View attachment 157035

I'm excited for your trips, and so so sorry about Spooky. I hope you and Phil have the best time, no matter where you are!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom