"Pete's Dragon" Remake

Donillary Crumpton

Just read through your breakdown and I agree with everything completely! I was trying my best to watch the new movie with an open mind...pretend I never even saw the original. I didn't want to dislike the remake just because it isn't the original. Regardless, the remake was bumming me out and had me wishing I was sitting in Sausage Party instead lol.
I went into it pretty optimistic as well. After being very impressed with how the Cinderella & Jungle Book remakes were executed...I was very much looking forward to a 3-in-a-row streak of brilliant Disney remakes. But you can't win 'em all, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was a *horrible* movie per-say. It just wasn't Pete's Dragon. (imo)
The 1977 original had great balance of toe-tapping fun, heartfelt emotion, and slapstick shenanigans. And through it all, the film still kept it's focus, and got it's underlying message across. This remake, however, focused too heavily on one, lost all the other, and sorta misinterpreted the message of trust that was at the core of 1977's family musical.

And gosh how I missed the fun show-stopping numbers like this:

Disneyfanman

I've never loved the original except for a few of the songs. I did REALLY like the remake. Maybe that was the difference. For me it was just the right blend of fantasy and drama. My wife didn't like it as well as I did. I would put it among my favorite movies of the year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom