"Pete's Dragon" Remake

Figments Friend

Well, that is what a trailers job is......to 'sell' a movie in a form that gets your interest and entices you to want to see it.
Some of the crappiest films ever have had magnificent looking trailers.
That said, I can recall some terrific films that had absolutely lame trailers.
It's all in the marketing approach.
;)

I am totally getting a 'Mowgli' vibe from Pete .....but Elliot actually looks more like a dragon in motion and in the long shots here.

Still really strange that they decided to make him furry.
I would like to know why the designers chose that when creating this version.
Perhaps to sell more stuffed animals of him?
( have already seen major retailer plush versions )

-

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
[QUOTE="Figments Friend, post: 7265593, member: 15152"

-[/QUOTE]

http://nerdist.com/elliott-petes-dragon-furry-disney/

The film’s director David Lowery has an answer for that. Nerdist learned about the reason behind the softer texture while attending a sneak peek of the new Pete’s Dragon. Lowery said, “The very first hook I had for myself when I was going in to meet the producers on this film about the story–we didn’t have a pitch yet or anything–but I wanted the dragon to be furry. And that’s because I love my cats, and I was probably with my cat thinking, ‘I wish this guy was 20 feet tall.’ I was like, ‘Look, if you put a Game of Thrones dragon in this, it would be scaly and cold and it would be cool, but I want this to be the kind of dragon who you really want to give a hug to and that I want to give a hug to and snuggle up with.’ The best way to do that was to make him furry, and there’s no reason why dragons can’t be furry.”

Lowery continued, “I went through a thought process of figuring out what design choice would break the idea of it being a dragon. There were certain things we found you can’t do like the wings–we started to do things differently that made it feel like a chimera or other various mythical beasts. But if we kept the wings, kept the head, kept the ridges on the back, you can have fun with the rest of the design and it still feels like a dragon. And the fur was an integral part of the design for me. It made the character for me.”

Magenta Panther

[QUOTE="Figments Friend, post: 7265593, member: 15152"

-

http://nerdist.com/elliott-petes-dragon-furry-disney/

The film’s director David Lowery has an answer for that. Nerdist learned about the reason behind the softer texture while attending a sneak peek of the new Pete’s Dragon. Lowery said, “The very first hook I had for myself when I was going in to meet the producers on this film about the story–we didn’t have a pitch yet or anything–but I wanted the dragon to be furry. And that’s because I love my cats, and I was probably with my cat thinking, ‘I wish this guy was 20 feet tall.’ I was like, ‘Look, if you put a Game of Thrones dragon in this, it would be scaly and cold and it would be cool, but I want this to be the kind of dragon who you really want to give a hug to and that I want to give a hug to and snuggle up with.’ The best way to do that was to make him furry, and there’s no reason why dragons can’t be furry.”

Lowery continued, “I went through a thought process of figuring out what design choice would break the idea of it being a dragon. There were certain things we found you can’t do like the wings–we started to do things differently that made it feel like a chimera or other various mythical beasts. But if we kept the wings, kept the head, kept the ridges on the back, you can have fun with the rest of the design and it still feels like a dragon. And the fur was an integral part of the design for me. It made the character for me.”[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Why didn't the guy just make the CGI dragon look as much like the original Elliott as possible? What was wrong with his design? I think the new design sucks. Still looks like he's part pine tree. :p

What I want is for Robert Redford's character to be obsessed with "the dragon who saved my grandfather Peter", that as a kid he caught a glimpse of Elliot after hearing the story and has been searching ever since.
Then after years of nothing and being mocked by his peers, BOOM, this kid is found and maybe, just maybe, it is time!

Figments Friend

Thanks Random Princess and Magenta Panther for that article quote.
Interesting to hear why furriness was chosen.
It does make this 'dragon' unique, that can be said at least.

Interested to see how this film plays out.
Hoping for something good, but everything so far has me watching cautiously from a distance.

-

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We have seen a furry dog dragon in Neverending story.

I'm am seeing this as a completely new movie. The original musical I loved is still there. When I was a kid I liked it even more the Mary Poppins.

Mad Stitch

The second trailer is much better than the first. I'll go to the theater to see this. The original had so many great songs I'm still a little disappointed this one will not have any. When the cop said at the end "A dragon, it's a dragon." I was really hoping he would end that line with "I swear I saw a dragon!"

Phroobar

Saw the preview at DCA's old Muppets theater. This one looks like it is going to bomb big time. They seem to have taken the heart and soul out of the movie by removing the songs and giving us Mogel on Endor with Smog.

brb1006

Saw the preview at DCA's old Muppets theater. This one looks like it is going to bomb big time. They seem to have taken the heart and soul out of the movie by removing the songs and giving us Mogel on Endor with Smog.
This might end up as the only Disney Live-Action film that I'm going to skip. I'm more excited for Beauty And The Beast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom