"Pete's Dragon" Remake

lebeau

LOL. Did you notice they seemed to have done the same thing in the symphony set during the Disneyland 60 special last night? They had scenes from the original trilogy and the new movie. I did not see any from the prequels.

As for "Pete's Dragon," I noticed the same thing that some are saying here: It seems that they have completely ditched the original except for the concept of a boy and his dragon friend (who could disappear). The original was in a coastal New England type of setting with a lighthouse and the "Candle on the Water" as a central theme (a beacon helping us stay centered, which transferred to the dragon's relationship to Pete also). This one, however, seems to be set in the mountains, and would hardly seem to have a place for a lighthouse. Can't say for sure, but it seems like it will be completely different, and likely will not have that very beautiful song fit in.

I also remember the movie as being very quaint, and pleasant. Like everything else Hollywood and Disney seem to make these days, it looks like this one will be more about CGI and over-the-top effects than story. I hope that is not the case.

I spied Hayden Christensen as Anakin. But the majority of clips were from the original trilogy and the new one.

Brer Panther

Sooooo, they turned Pete into Mowgli and ditched a large percentage of the original characters...

I wonder if the scriptwriters have even seen the original movie at all. I'm not saying there's no way that this movie will be good, but it seems a tad weird that they'd pretty much ditch everything from the original movie aside from the title characters.

petesdragon.jpg
Is it just me, or does Elliot look like Eeyore here?

Figments Friend

A while back i read somewhere some official marketing blurb about this 'remake' being totally different from the original.
Primarily, it was not going to be a musical and was more a fantasy / action / adventure / drama retelling for 'today's modern audiences'.
The stress was on 'action / adventure', second only to 'drama'.
This was back when word first started making the rounds that this was going into production.
Have no idea at this point where i read it....but i remember it as it sounded so strikingly different in tone.

I'm taking the 'lets' wait and see' approach, but as a avid fan of the original 1977 feature it will be interesting to see how this 'remake' is presented and executed.

To me, the film does not need to be 'remade'.
The original was great as is.
Some might find the original corny looking at it today, but the songs were wonderful and the overall tone was playful and innocent....with a few dashes of things today's PC society would probably find very in-appropriate for a 'children's movie'
Elliot was a delight...and wonderfully animated and personified vocally.
I loved the original film as a kid....enjoyed it even more as an adult.

-

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
A while back i read somewhere some official marketing blurb about this 'remake' being totally different from the original.
Primarily, it was not going to be a musical and was more a fantasy / action / adventure / drama retelling for 'today's modern audiences'.
The stress was on 'action / adventure', second only to 'drama'.
This was back when word first started making the rounds that this was going into production.
Have no idea at this point where i read it....but i remember it as it sounded so strikingly different in tone.

I'm taking the 'lets' wait and see' approach, but as a avid fan of the original 1977 feature it will be interesting to see how this 'remake' is presented and executed.

To me, the film does not need to be 'remade'.
The original was great as is.
Some might find the original corny looking at it today, but the songs were wonderful and the overall tone was playful and innocent....with a few dashes of things today's PC society would probably find very in-appropriate for a 'children's movie'
Elliot was a delight...and wonderfully animated and personified vocally.
I loved the original film as a kid....enjoyed it even more as an adult.

-

Pete's Dragon is so interesting because you have an abused child trying to break free of of the family that is abusing him. Pretty much every adult in the movie but Nora, and eventually her dad is an awful person. But it's so up beat you don't even notice as child.

Figments Friend

Pete's Dragon is so interesting because you have an abused child trying to break free of of the family that is abusing him. Pretty much every adult in the movie but Nora, and eventually her dad is an awful person. But it's so up beat you don't even notice as child.

Yes!
It is crazy when you actually take the time to look at what the characters really are and what they are doing to each other, but gosh darn it the musical soundtrack was fantastic.

It was supposed to be the big follow up to 'Mary Poppins' but i don't think it ever reached those heights even back around it's original release.
Still, it's a film i always enjoyed...

-

Kate F

It doesn't look bad, but I kind of want it to flop just so it gets a message out to Disney to stop with all of these live-action remakes. It probably won't mean much to Disney if it does flop though, seeing as how Jungle Book and Alice will likely both be hits.

CJR

It doesn't look bad, but I kind of want it to flop just so it gets a message out to Disney to stop with all of these live-action remakes. It probably won't mean much to Disney if it does flop though, seeing as how Jungle Book and Alice will likely both be hits.

In all fairness, these live action remakes are much better than most of the Disney branded movies that came out in the late 1990's and pretty much the entire 2000's minus Pirates and Narnia. Disney never did put out the best live action films, in my opinion. Their heart was always animation.

prberk

In all fairness, these live action remakes are much better than most of the Disney branded movies that came out in the late 1990's and pretty much the entire 2000's minus Pirates and Narnia. Disney never did put out the best live action films, in my opinion. Their heart was always animation.

Go back to Walt Disney's days and you will find the reference standard for their live-action films. Old Yeller, The Parent Trap, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Pollyanna, Swiss Family Robinson, So Dear to My Heart, The gy Dog, The Absent-Minded Professor...

Yes, some clinkers came out among them, but overall the attention to detail and good characterizations was the order of the day. Like his parks, movies that parents could enjoy with the kids.

Watch Old Yeller again if it has been a while. You will be amazed at how well-drawn the character of Travis is, and what exactly we was expected do. He was treated truly as a "young adult," with all of the responsibility and ingénue that comes with that... yet in a film that is both entertaining and meaningful.

When it is all said and done, what matters is a well-executed, good story -- one with heart and one with which we can connect. When these re-makes miss that mark, they plummet, just like any other movie. "Bigger and badder" does not always mean better, any more than "older" means better.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

What the-??? Since when is Elliot part pine tree?

Oh, it's for camouflage you say? But he can turn invisible! Why would he need camouflage if he can turn invisible?

This is awful. I'm not saying this because Pete's Dragon was one of my childhood favorites. It wasn't. This is awful because it's just...awful.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What the-??? Since when is Elliot part pine tree?

Oh, it's for camouflage you say? But he can turn invisible! Why would he need camouflage if he can turn invisible?

This is awful. I'm not saying this because Pete's Dragon was one of my childhood favorites. It wasn't. This is awful because it's just...awful.
You cannot be upset...Elliott is not a muppet.

Figments Friend

He's furry

djx1ob18uoirqt8ngluc.jpg

Well that design is sure ...unexpected.
Looks very strange and does not visually scream 'dragon' to me.
I should know, my best buddy is a dragon!

But seriously....why furry...?
Why so feline looking...?
What the ...fluff.....
Looks more like a green tiger with a long neck and wings on its back.

Interest in this project was dim, but seeing this makes it more questionable.
Here was the chance to make a CGI 'real' version of Elliot, but this is completely out in left field in my opinion.

-

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Every time they announce one of these live action remakes I'm like "What are they thinking?!?!" Then in the end I'm like looks good, and I end up in the theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom