Pet Peeve: Mis-using the term "ride"

It doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me more are the guests who "had their brains sucked by the finger scanners" as the CMs say. These are the people who get these ideas about attractions they've never experienced and think they're so smart.
"Space Mountain broke down earlier, I don't ride rides that break down."
"Someone died in the Carousel of progress."
"I don't get how you can mess up a ride so badly. That wasn't anything like the Pirates movie."
If you want to sound smart at Disney, kids, do your homework first!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
It doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me more are the guests who "had their brains sucked by the finger scanners" as the CMs say. These are the people who get these ideas about attractions they've never experienced and think they're so smart.
"Space Mountain broke down earlier, I don't ride rides that break down."
"Someone died in the Carousel of progress."
"I don't get how you can mess up a ride so badly. That wasn't anything like the Pirates movie."
If you want to sound smart at Disney, kids, do your homework first!

"Someone died in the Carousel of progress." - Well, they were close, but incorrect, it was America Sings...an attraction put in Disneyland after the Carousel of Progress moved to WDW and it was a Cast Member and I won't go into details

jloucks

I think this statement sums it up perfectly but I will add - Meet and Greets shouldn't be attractions.

Why not?

I would think that anything that attracts people, by very definition, is an attraction.

Meet and greets definitely are attractions. Restaurants are attractions. And based on some threads I have read on this board, certain restrooms are attractions. :p

JusticeDisney

Anyone else feel like the term "ride" gets thrown around too often for attractions where you don't GO anywhere?

I've seen things like Stitch Encounter/Alien Encounter, even Philharmagic being referred to as a ride even though it's really just a show.

Therefore, Carousel of Progress, though mostly a show, does have ride elements, so I think it fits both definitions.

I think it's laziness, instead of calling it an attraction, (which I believe is the preferred term for Disney officially) people call them "rides" as a general term but it bothers me as there's a lot of shows that have nothing to do with "riding" anything.

If you don't go anywhere or have a simulation of going somewhere, then it's considered IMO to be a show. Star Tours, Soarin', Flight of Passage are rides because you're having the effect of going somewhere and the seats move.

The really freaky part though that I really JUST thought of..... is if I think about the original Mission to Mars attraction, you're supposed to be simulating riding on a trip to Mars, though it's technically the same exact building and layout of the Alien/Stitch Encounter. The way it's presented is that it is a ride, though I don't know if they had other effects like seats vibrating to simulate motion.

Any thoughts on this?
My thoughts are, if this is the type of thing that actually bothers you, then you must have a pretty good life. #firstworldproblems

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom