Pet Peeve: Mis-using the term "ride"

correcaminos

Meh, if you know what the person means why let it bother you? Now I'm going to ride Philharmagic!
:joyfull:

Seriously this is something I don't get annoyed with. Only thing that slightly gets me is the mistake of calling WDW Disneyland or MK Disneyland or similar. Even then I really don't get bent out of shape over what others say. I keep calling DHS MGM, are you going to snip at me for that? Never mind the TTA People Mover.

epcotisbest

Had some friends from church telling us they went to Disneyland. We knew they went to Florida, so I asked them which parks they went to. "You know, Disneyland, the one with the castle."
Did you go to any of the other parks?
"Nah, thought about going to the golf ball place, but we went to the beach instead."

rob0519

I just remember in our training we were told that we have "guests that experience our attractions" not customers that ride rides.

Just an opinion, but I have rarely felt that I was treated like a guest in the last 15 or so years, but I still enjoy the Muppets ride every time we're in that movie amusement park place.

Amidala

Doesn't bother me. As CMs we used "attraction" as a catch-all term, but this is pretty specific to Disney, and guests who aren't on property (or thinking about being on property) 24/7 will default to "ride" out of habit. It may be different at DL where so many guests are locals and Disney fans, but at WDW so many people are from out of state or out of country (lots of first timers and people who rarely get the chance to visit) that I don't think that "attraction vs. ride" is at the forefront of their minds.

Also, guests might not articulate it the right way, but they can generally tell the difference between a ride and a show–and if they can't, there are descriptions of each attraction on the maps, and CMs to clear up any confusion.

Bobb_o

It doesn't bother me unless it's clearly a show (Like Festival of the Lion King or something) with actual performers. I'm fine with people calling Muppets 3D or Enchanted Tiki Rooms "rides"

Princess Leia

I've seen discussions over the years where people have stated that there is only one ride in the Disney parks - Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I guess because the word "ride" is in the title. Everything else is an "attraction". I don't go that far, but I would never call The American Adventure or The Hall of Presidents or Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor rides. I don't let it bother me, but I tend to agree that a ride needs to have a moving component.
I don't remember which thread it was in, but someone definitely called Hall of Presidents a ride once. :banghead:

Incomudro

:joyfull:

Seriously this is something I don't get annoyed with. Only thing that slightly gets me is the mistake of calling WDW Disneyland or MK Disneyland or similar. Even then I really don't get bent out of shape over what others say. I keep calling DHS MGM, are you going to snip at me for that? Never mind the TTA People Mover.
Half the people in WDW think They're in Universal and vise versa.

jloucks

Really? This is a discussion.
Well, no, not going at it from that angle.
C8DT9acW4AALMoP.jpg

jloucks

It's annoying, but not as bad as people just making up their own names for some of the best attractions ever.

"Let's go on the Haunted House and after that we'll hit that Pirate Boat Ride Thing."
Oh sheesh,, I am soooo guilty. More because my memory is poor than disrespect for a ride and/or attraction.

jloucks

Anyone else feel like the term "ride" gets thrown around too often for attractions where you don't GO anywhere?

I've seen things like Stitch Encounter/Alien Encounter, even Philharmagic being referred to as a ride even though it's really just a show.

Therefore, Carousel of Progress, though mostly a show, does have ride elements, so I think it fits both definitions.

I think it's laziness, instead of calling it an attraction, (which I believe is the preferred term for Disney officially) people call them "rides" as a general term but it bothers me as there's a lot of shows that have nothing to do with "riding" anything.

If you don't go anywhere or have a simulation of going somewhere, then it's considered IMO to be a show. Star Tours, Soarin', Flight of Passage are rides because you're having the effect of going somewhere and the seats move.

The really freaky part though that I really JUST thought of..... is if I think about the original Mission to Mars attraction, you're supposed to be simulating riding on a trip to Mars, though it's technically the same exact building and layout of the Alien/Stitch Encounter. The way it's presented is that it is a ride, though I don't know if they had other effects like seats vibrating to simulate motion.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, it does cause me a mild mental short circuit when somebody calls a show a ride. I should start messing with people and start calling Omni Movies rides. ...or maybe all movies.

What annoys me more than the ride -vs- show issue is posters abbreviating rides their entire post so that non-hard-core readers have too go out and google stuff. POTC, IASM, TGMR, ETC. :depressed: It really gets tricky with resorts, train colors, pavement markers, and water attractions.

Last edited:

crxbrett

What annoys me more than the ride -vs- show issue is posters abbreviating rides their entire post so that non-hard-core readers have too go out and google stuff. POTC, IASM, TGMR, ETC. :depressed: It really gets tricky with resorts, train colors, pavement markers, and water attractions.

I am guilty of doing this sometimes. I usually try to spell the title/name out the first time it is mentioned in my post and then abbreviate it from then on out. Sometimes I spell it all out...and then other times - "So I was at WDW the other day and went to the TTC to get to the POLY so I could head on over to the MK and get on POTC, SDMT and JC and take advantage of my FP+ and EMH and finally enjoy a nice dinner at BOG in FL.:D

danyoung56

I should start messing with people and start calling Omni Movies rides. ...or maybe all movies.

I'm getting really picky now, but there's no such thing as an Omni Movie. There's an Omni Mover, and some of the attractions that used Omni Movers had movies as part of their ride. But people were riding on an Omni Mover.

Ag11gani

I've seen discussions over the years where people have stated that there is only one ride in the Disney parks - Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I guess because the word "ride" is in the title. Everything else is an "attraction". I don't go that far, but I would never call The American Adventure or The Hall of Presidents or Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor rides. I don't let it bother me, but I tend to agree that a ride needs to have a moving component.

But then dosn't that mean that BTMRR is a ride because the safety spiel they say it's the, "wildest ride in the wilderness."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom