Penny Press Machines

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
So, does anybody here ever use the penny presses? Or do you think they're just for kids?

I have two pressed pennies. The first one is of Goofy that I got when I was a kid. The other one is Simba from the Magic Kingdom that I got last month.

What pressed pennies, if any, do you guys have from the parks?

WhatJaneSays

I think the pressed pennies are a really cute/cheap collectable. Especially because they can have some rarer characters that are not really on much (or any) other merchandise. I don’t go out of my way to collect them but always look and see if there is a pattern I like when I notice a machine.

I think I have about 25-ish between WDW and DL. My favorites are the “lucky penny” from DL and Scrooge McDuck from WDW.

JIMINYCR

I put together a book full pressed pennies for DW for Christmas one year when I was looking for something unique for a gift. Since then she has added to the collection whenever she sees something that interests her. The pressed penny guides online are helpful to find the ones you want since they are scattered all around.

I collect them, and have about 100, I'd say. I go for characters and designs that I like. Especially machines for special anniversaries and other events. I just visited Disneyland last month and made sure to get a complete "60th" set from their machines.

Mergatroid, penny press machines essentially take a regular penny and press it between two rollers in the machine. These rollers have designs etched in so that the design is transferred to the penny during pressing. Most machines in the park have rollers with three designs on them, so you have 3 design choices. The pennies come out oblong and with a new Disney design etched on them. Great souvenirs, and cheap!

Cluno

I borrowed an idea from Pinterest, and collected a pressed penny from each country in the WS and I'm going to put them on a WS map. The only one I missed was Canada since the machine was broken. Oh well... just another reason to go back!!

mergatroid

Essentially, they squish the living daylights out of a coin, and leave a Disney-themed design on the newly-elongated slab of metal. Think of the old "squish a penny on a train track" trick, only with a Mickey stamp. :happy:

Ah ok, that sounds alright. How much is it or is it free and you just put your coin in?

mergatroid

51 cents. You put in two quarters and a penny (that will be turned into the souvenir).

Thanks for replying, that's not too bad really is it. Just need to make sure Mrs Merg doesn't get addicted to it and starts stealing all my quarters, she loves 'borrowing' $10's & $20's yet I never seem to get them back for some reason.

World_Showcase_Lover007

I use the penny presses every time I go because some of them change periodically. I always try to get a couple of them that include the year on them just as a unique special memory. My fiance used to get aggravated at our having to stop frequently to press the pennies, but now she enjoys it and even points the machines out to me as we walk through the parks...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom