1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Payless Car Rental

Discussion in 'WDW Offsite Hotels, Dining, Shopping' started by kellydisney, Dec 12, 2005.

1. kellydisney

kellydisney New Member

Has anyone rented from here before? How was your experience and would you recommend it? Where is the courtesy phone/bus located at MCO? Thanks!

2. mikeanabean

mikeanabean New Member

You get what you pay for. I used them couple of years ago and it was a bad experience (hidden fees and bad customer service). A friend of mine used them this year and he wished he listened to me because because they did the same thing to him. I hope this helps? The phones are down by the baggage claim.

3. kellydisney

kellydisney New Member Original Poster

Can you specify what you mean by hidden fees? Was there a way around this? Were you late to picking up your car?

4. mikeanabean

mikeanabean New Member

The fee was a restocking fee or something like that, it was not on the quote or receipt. Then they said they could not verify my insurance and tried to tack on that charge then they said I was late returning the car even though I had the return reciept showing I was 2 hrs early and they still tried to charge me. It wasn't a good experience your best bet is to get a national brand. I have had good experiences with dollar and alamo.

disney4life2008 likes this.
  5. s2jrston

s2jrston Member

Definitely not worth the headache

Don't risk it! Everything could work out fine with Payless but my two experiences with them at FLL and RSW were terrible. My car broke down last October while in Marco Island and was swapped-out in less than 2 hours but I've never had a rental car break down with Avis, Alamo or National. In Fort Lauderdale they were just plain weird. It seems like Pay-less cars are always dented or scratched and they try to blame it on you. Pay-less is just too risky for vacations. If you can afford the major companies then that's the way to go. Avoid the headache.

disney4life2008 likes this.
  6. Nemo14

Nemo14 Well-Known Member

Kelly -
    You might want to try L&M car rental. I believe there was a thread about them on here last week. They are right at the airport, reasonable rates, good service, and we've never had a problem with them. Just a thought...

7. mkt

mkt Awesome

I **heart** Enterprise

8. kellydisney

kellydisney New Member Original Poster

Thanks guys! We made a "just in case" ressie with Alamo. Hopefully we don't run into any problems with Payless. We'll see! The difference in prices is over $200 so that's why we're taking a leap of faith. I'll probably have a POed trip report to share when I get back! ;) hehe

9. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member

Be careful. They got an F rating

10. BigRedDad

BigRedDad Well-Known Member

11. UCF

UCF Member

Last time i rented a car, Payless had a 2 hour line while every other rental car provider had a 5 minute line. The rest were significantly more expensive and I had time to kill anyways, so I waited in the line.... they gave me a significant discount for waiting in the line. When I went to get the car, I realized the 12V plug wasn't working, so I told them, and they offered to significantly upgrade my car for free. When I returned the car, the discount was even larger then the original receipt said.

12. BigRedDad

If you rent from this place, you deserve all of the hidden fees they stick you with.

13. G00fyDad

G00fyDad Well-Known Member

That's kind of aggressive. o_O

We rented a car from them when we drove to St. Louis and had nothing but a positive experience. No hidden fees and no issues with the car. I always check out the car I am given (If I don't have the option of choosing myself) and I even look at the tires. The SUV we got from them was in wonderful shape. I guess we either got very lucky or the agency in Louisville, KY is not full of crooks. :D

14. BigRedDad

When a company is making National news on how bad their practices are, hidden fees that are 3x the quoted bill, and an F rating from BBB, it is not aggressive. It is common sense.

15. G00fyDad

Your comment just seemed a little aggressive. Yes. People should be wary of this place but if they are on the spot and have no other choice they don't "deserve" to get over-charged and given an unsafe car. Not everyone has the compulsive desire (like many of us here do) to do a ton of research on a car rental company. Just because they don't it doesn't mean they should get what's coming to them.

16. SAV

SAV Well-Known Member

@kellydisney,

Did you use the Discount codes from mousesavers.com for your Alamo rental? If not, go and try all of the codes available and see what comes out the least expensive. I have also had good luck with Thrifty at MCO.

G00fyDad likes this.
  17. G00fyDad

No matter which car rental company you use I would do my own inspection of the vehicle and make absolutely sure they document every little "ding" and scratch. Also, check your tires. It may seem like you are being overly-worrisome but you are only looking out for yourself both physically and financially. If you bring back the car with a scratch that they did not document they could say that you damaged the car and take the cost of repairs out of your card.

Also, just because you have your own insurance you may not be as "covered" as you may think. These car companies have ways of squeezing you for every dollar. If you rent a car and use your own insurance they may not like it but they will eventually have to suck it up and deal with it when you rent. However, read the fine print. Most of these places will still charge your card if you have an accident for a daily rental on the car for as long as it takes to get the vehicle repaired. So if you have an accident and the car needs to go to the shop and is there for another 20 days the rental agency may charge you another 20 days rental because it is not "in service" and making them money because of your accident. No. It is not right for them to do this and yes, it is a dirty trick but it does not stop them from doing it. It is just another way for them to force you to take their insurance. Using their insurance keeps you from incurring this daily fee in case of an accident.

Also, if you rent through a third party (Expedia, Kayak, etc.) do NOT take that insurance if you choose to go with "their" insurance and not use your own. Wait until you get to the agency to get the insurance through them. Otherwise it is no different than using your private insurance and they can still charge you for the daily fee on a wrecked car.

Am I advocating taking the agencies insurance? No. Just beware and know all the facts first. :D

18. fireworkz

fireworkz Member

Another rental car tip: if your a Costco member you can also get some pretty good discounts at times - they use Alamo, Budget and Avis. Use the Costco web site to get the price.