Passports required?

Squigglove

Original Poster
Hello!!

I need to know which Disney Cruises need passports please. We are U.S. residents/citizens.

I'm especially interested in the cruise to the Bahamas, I'm pretty sure that Nassau and Castaway Cay are Disney owned, which would make them U.S. land, correct? So we wouldn't need passports for this cruise?

Which cruises require passports?

Thank you so much!!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Nassau is not owned by Disney, and would usually require a passport.. Castaway cay is owned by Disney. Normally, traveling to the Bahamas would require a passport, but I believe DCL only requires a birth certificate for both ports.

If you have passports, best to bring those.

KeithVH

Take it from an ex-Consular Affairs person from the State Dept., better safe than sorry. Travel with one. With at least 6 months before expiration on it.

Some places may allow birth certs and such but you never know what will happen. See here for most authoritative info.

If the cruise is what is called a closed loop, it is possible to travel with an ID and a B.C., but I wouldn't recommend it. Especially kids.

YMMV. But you also don't want to be in front of Homeland trying to debark w/o what you really need.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

sweetpee_1993

Nassau is a port/city in the Bahamas. Castaway Cay is leased by Disney from the Bahamas thru 2096. The island is still subject to Bahamian law, taxes, etc. ((hence the VAT tax added to everything at CC.)) A closed-loop Bahamian cruise that originates and concludes in the same US port does not require a passport. Currently. You're talking about the government. Things change without much notice. As @Monty stated, if anything should happen that requires you to fly home from a foreign port you're going to have some added difficulty without a passport. It's an investment to obtain the passports initially but they're great to have. Adults renew every 10 years which is nice. Personally, I've never cruised without a passport. I wouldn't.

wogwog

As @sweetpee_1993 says. Get a passport. Disney does not care if you do or do not have a passport on a closed loop cruise. They want your business and will let you board with a photo ID and a government issued birth certificate with a seal, no copies. But in an emergency you really need a passport. I know of many cruises that have left a non US port and left passengers behind because they did not re-board by departure time. It is not easy to leave any country as a citizen or non-citizen if you do not have a passport. At the very least you can be delayed for days at your expense for lodging and transportation home.

sweetpee_1993

As @sweetpee_1993 says. Get a passport. Disney does not care if you do or do not have a passport on a closed loop cruise. They want your business and will let you board with a photo ID and a government issued birth certificate with a seal, no copies. But in an emergency you really need a passport. I know of many cruises that have left a non US port and left passengers behind because they did not re-board by departure time. It is not easy to leave any country as a citizen or non-citizen if you do not have a passport. At the very least you can be delayed for days at your expense for lodging and transportation home.
Hey there, Mr. @wogwog! Long time, no see, huh? FYI, copy of US birth certificate with government-issued photo ID sails on closed loop Bahamian. I never would've believed it had I not witnessed it first-hand when a travel companion forgot her passport at home. Her spouse scanned & emailed it. We printed it out & presented it with a photo ID. We sailed. I also found it on DCL's website and am attaching the screen grab. I would NEVER advocate sailing on just that but in a pinch like we were in, it can be the difference between going or not.

image.jpg

Take care, my friend!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom