Passing August/September thunderstorms or washouts?

SamJYung

Original Poster
We're heading to orlando on Monday, and I know the general consensus is that this time of year is 'hurricane' season, and rain is expected daily, I'm hoping we see some sunshine! Are these thunderstorms generally passing showers, or will there be complete days of rain and a washout?

21stamps

We're heading to orlando on Monday, and I know the general consensus is that this time of year is 'hurricane' season, and rain is expected daily, I'm hoping we see some sunshine! Are these thunderstorms generally passing showers, or will there be complete days of rain and a washout?
It all depends what storms are going on nearby, but it's rare that it will rain all day every day. When we were there last year, over Labor Day, it rained every single day for 2 weeks- in Orlando and then in Key West. It didn't stop us from having a great time though! The Orlando portion there was plenty of sunshine, and luckily a lot of times the rain was at night, or it was the standard midday downpour. The great thing about Disney is most of the rides are inside, so rarely close. 7DMT, barnstormer, etc closed for a little bit maybe 1 or 2 days, but opened back up shortly after.
Bring or buy ponchos! You'll have fun no matter what :)

KirstyLou

When I've been in the past (and going again this Sept) - hopefully I on't jinx the weather by what I am about to say....but usually there is a thunderstorm around lunchtime. It's over and dry within an hour - this may have changed / be different, but that's the weather I am used to. I rarely remember any of our days being a wash out due to the weather.

SamJYung

Original Poster
It all depends what storms are going on nearby, but it's rare that it will rain all day every day. When we were there last year, over Labor Day, it rained every single day for 2 weeks- in Orlando and then in Key West. It didn't stop us from having a great time though! The Orlando portion there was plenty of sunshine, and luckily a lot of times the rain was at night, or it was the standard midday downpour. The great thing about Disney is most of the rides are inside, so rarely close. 7DMT, barnstormer, etc closed for a little bit maybe 1 or 2 days, but opened back up shortly after.
Bring or buy ponchos! You'll have fun no matter what :)

That's my concern, as we don't have unlimited access to parks over our 2 week period. We have 5 days, (one at each park +1 extra for whatever we choose) We've already planned the days we are going to each park, as I've made some restaurant reservations, I just pray that the days we choose to go the weather holds out! Obviously rain isn't an issue for us, only if it completely washes out an entire day it may be a bit of a problem with limited park access!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom