Parks in January

Melissa Strause

Hey everyone! So from Jan. 5-14, I'll be staying at Disney World for the second time (split stay between AKL and Pop Century). My first visit was at the end of August, so I'm betting that the weather will be much different, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a January trip? How crowded the parks might be, weather, if there's anything I should pack that I wouldn't have brought for a summer trip, and anything else you can think of!

Also, am I allowed to add the Magical Express if I made a reservation already and didn't add it? I'll be heading back from Peru on Jan 5th, and since I'll be on a tour I won't know my flight info until late November. Will I still be able to add that info?

Thanks!

doctornick

Well, don't count on riding Splash Mountain in that time frame.

As for the Magic Express, yes, you can add it later to your reservation. You have to do it a couple of weeks in advance our your trip, though, to get the luggage tags.

Upvote 0

Laura Ellen

Hey Melissa,

I will be there at the same time as you, literally the exact time frame lol

I have been twice before in Jan. Weather wise...it can be variable. I would say pack layers, as one year it was freezing cold when i went and the next it was boiling, so to be on the safe side pack two pairs of jeans and a warm jacket just in case.

Crowds are busy, cause its the marathon, but not as busy as summer. Its Brazilian tourist time so be prepared for large tour groups, but they are easy to avoid.

A few rides will be closed, like splash, but most will be up and running.

I have a lot of other little tips, such as going to Universal on the day of the full marathon.

I think Jan is the best time to go, personally. If you can get past a few refurbs and roll with the weather, it can be a great time.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

I'll be staying at Disney World for the second time (split stay between AKL and Pop Century). My first visit was at the end of August, so I'm betting that the weather will be much different, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a January trip?
I go in January and August every year. Yes, the weather will be much different in January. Generally, you won't have to deal with as much rain, although you should still bring an umbrella. You will want to check the weather before you pack and pack as if it could be 80 or it could be 40. I went about the same timeframe last January that you're going, and we got there, and it went from 70s to 80s to 40s and back up to 80s in the space of nine days. Mostly it should be in the 60s or so, but it's hard to tell.

Don't plan on riding Splash Mountain. It goes down every January. I wouldn't plan for waterparks either. But on the plus side, the castle will look like this:
1013285_766193166742803_1597977412_n.jpg

As far as the crowds go, you won't see as heavy crowds as you see in August, but you will see some residual crowds from the holidays. The tour groups are the worst part of the crowds. With the marathon, just avoid Epcot on that Sunday and you'll be fine. I didn't notice a significant difference between the parks on the marathon weekend and the week other than normal weekend crowd fluctuations. That might be a good day for you to start out at AK and then go over to MK for EMH. I wouldn't expect AK to be crowded that day. It's actually more crowded on week days than the weekend, so a Saturday or Sunday is a good day for that park. The day before the marathon (Saturday) might be a good Epcot day.

As a general rule, avoid MK and DHS on weekends except if you are utilizing MK EMH on a weekend.

Also, am I allowed to add the Magical Express if I made a reservation already and didn't add it? I'll be heading back from Peru on Jan 5th, and since I'll be on a tour I won't know my flight info until late November. Will I still be able to add that info?

Yup. DVC owners book their trips up to 11 months out, so we always add our flight information later. They're used to this. You can add it right up until you go, but if you were to add your flight info just a few weeks ahead of time, they might not be able to get your luggage tags out to you in time, although you would still be able to use Magical Express. I don't see this being an issue in your case, though.

Upvote 0

Matt_Black

One of the water parks should be open while the other one is down. In the off-season, they shut one down for approximately three months, and then reopen it and close the other, though it seems they rotate the order every year. Even if it's supposed to be open, it could close if the weather is cold enough.

Upvote 0

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
When I've gone in January it's been moderately warm. Best to bring a light jacket for night hours. Don't bother with water parks. Personally, my favorite time to go is early September.

Upvote 0

BigTxEars

We are there in Jan 2015 for the first time as well, the 24th to 31st at AKL. Should be a nice change from this past June when we were there. I really think we have done our last summer visit to WDW, just too many people for me. I don't mind the weather in summer, it's as hot if not hotter here than in Florida anyways. But the crowds stink.

Upvote 0

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
While spending the "New Year' at WDW is fun, in my opinion,from January 1st to the 30th is the best for adults. Fewer folks in the queue and fewer special events allow for more elbow room in all the parks. Be advised, however, that any "low volume" time at WDW means something is getting refurbished. Be aware of what will be scheduled to be "down" so you are not surprised by a reduction in "value" for "your" vacation.

*1023*

Upvote 0

John

I have been going to WDW in January for years. Everyone has pretty much covered what you might need to know. If I was going to give any advice....as most mentioned, be prepared for almost any kind of weather. Cold or warm. We live in the north east and one year we had to wear our heavy winter coats that we had on when we left home. The next year we wore shorts and Tee's. You just never know. At night it always gets a little chilly. No matter what the temps will be, they will be much better in Florida then they were at home:)

The best part of going in January is the crowds. It has been increasing the last few years but it is still nothing like the summer season. There are times when you can literally get off an attraction and walk right back on. One year we just got tired of riding TOT we rode it so many times. In the evenings its even better. January is less hustle and bustle. I have been on buses where it might have five or six people on the bus. For me the Brazilian tour groups have again been hit or miss. Some years worse then others.

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

We'll be there in January, too! One thing nobody has mentioned yet is that January Park hours will be shorter than what you're used to in August - there are nights where Magic Kingdom closes at 8 pm, and Epcot tends to close at 9pm.

Upvote 0
We go every January because this is the only time we can get out of work, Last year was freezing.

Does anyone know when the castle lights show finishes? Usually we always miss the shows but end up with the crane in all our Main Street Photos. Every time we have seen the crane it has never been in use during park operating hours, can they not wind the crane down during the day so they don't ruin everyones holiday photos???

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

I used to go there from Vermont in January. I had such a fun time with CM's. It usually was a bit chilly in the morning (depending on where you are from) and I would show up at the parks wearing shorts and a t-shirt only to be greeted by CM's wearing parkas, knit hats and mittens. Never failed to make me snicker. I always asked them what they were going to wear when it got cold.

Seriously though, it is a good idea to layer in the morning. It will sometimes stay pretty brisk throughout the day depending on the wind direction, but, it can also warm up to the 80's by midday. You know your own weather tolerance so just dress accordingly.

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

I love going to Disney in January! The weather is usually in the cooler but very comfortable side. Crowds are not existent if you plan it right. I love going over marathon weekend as well now since I started doing rundisney but in general January is one of my favorite times

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

Does anyone know when the castle lights show finishes? Usually we always miss the shows but end up with the crane in all our Main Street Photos. Every time we have seen the crane it has never been in use during park operating hours, can they not wind the crane down during the day so they don't ruin everyones holiday photos???

My CM pal told me that the lights usually come down right after New Years. We arrive on January 5th and she thinks we'll miss them by a day or two (bummer!). I seem to recall reading somewhere that it usually takes about 2 weeks to get the lights on or off - last year the crane was up for an unusually long time because it was doing extra stuff - paint or refurbishment on the castle towers, there was a lot of talk about how they were temporarily silver.

As for taking the crane up and down every night - configuring a huge piece of machinery like that isn't like folding a ladder. It would take time to get it up and into position, so breaking it down every night wouldn't give them enough time to do the actual job.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

When we were there last year from January 3-11, they were up the entire time. They were down by the time the rest of my family went. So basically the week after New Years.
My CM pal told me that the lights usually come down right after New Years. We arrive on January 5th and she thinks we'll miss them by a day or two (bummer!).
You might get lucky. As I said above, last year I was there from January 3-11 and they were up the whole time. They are just finishing up with the New Years festivities that weekend, so they'll probably keep them up for another week or so and then take them down. You should be good. There are enough residual crowds that they don't want to ruin a ton of vacation photos.

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

You might get lucky. As I said above, last year I was there from January 3-11 and they were up the whole time. They are just finishing up with the New Years festivities that weekend, so they'll probably keep them up for another week or so and then take them down. You should be good. There are enough residual crowds that they don't want to ruin a ton of vacation photos.

That's great to know, thank you! I shall cross my fingers and hope they're still up when we arrive! :)

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

My CM pal told me that the lights usually come down right after New Years. We arrive on January 5th and she thinks we'll miss them by a day or two (bummer!). I seem to recall reading somewhere that it usually takes about 2 weeks to get the lights on or off - last year the crane was up for an unusually long time because it was doing extra stuff - paint or refurbishment on the castle towers, there was a lot of talk about how they were temporarily silver.

As for taking the crane up and down every night - configuring a huge piece of machinery like that isn't like folding a ladder. It would take time to get it up and into position, so breaking it down every night wouldn't give them enough time to do the actual job.
You are correct, it takes an entire 8 hour shift to take apart the sections of the boom and the tracks have to be removed so it doesn't tear up the pavement in the park which requires another crane which is rubber tired. The body is jacked up and the tracks are removed and later the body is loaded onto a flat bed and moved out on rubber tires.

Also even if they are still up, they stop lighting them shortly after New Years so by the 5th there is a very good chance that you will miss them. You should get some good shots of the crane though. :)

Upvote 0

Bparso87

This will be my second time in January this year it does get cold at night and if it rains it is a cold rain. Crowds to get to crazy except MLK weekend they tend to be higher

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

I like Disney any time of year, but I have to say, January is one of my least favorite times to go.

You'd think the crowds would be great, but I've been both mid and later January after the New Year and it's still somewhat crowded. I hate that Splash is closed and the weather seems to be one of the worst months of the year for Florida.

Yes, it's warm sometimes, but I've been there on a couple occasions where it's been in the 40s and uncomfortable for us.

Tour groups are also kind of a beating and the marathon is a slight annoyance.

All that said, I've always had a great time in January and it beats any of the true "peak" times. However, I think it's one of the worst "non-peak" times to go. I MUCH prefer, September, October, early May, or even later March, early April.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom