1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Park and Resorts layoffs coming

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by lentesta, Sep 12, 2017.

1. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Mem11 and JudyHopps like this.
  2. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

It probably would be most likely internal layoffs is what you are telling me?

3. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Yeah... you can’t exactly lay off people who aren’t your employees.

xdan0920, njDizFan, Mem11 and 3 others like this.
  4. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

Like Office Employees for instance.

5. monothingie

monothingie OOOOWEEEEEEE! Premium Member

Driver and ford91exploder like this.
  6. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

THIS X 1,000,000

Ask a wall streeter do you want 2 dollars today or 25 ten quarters from now they will universally vote for 2 dollars today

7. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Here's the deal if EPS constantly goes up most of the so called analysts will look no further they are not looking at the fundamentals of the business just EPS

Stock buybacks by reducing shares on the market inflate EPS, Cuts in park hours and employees go straight to the bottom line also inflating EPS

Frankly i expect the cuts to be massive at P&R and WDW will be especially hard hit because Iger needs to close out 2017 showing year over year growth in EPS or Disney will be savaged by Wall St.

The fact that these actions will damage the business long term is not even a factor in Wall St's calculus of destruction

Nubs70 likes this.
  8. Bender123

Bender123 Well-Known Member

Its like the stupid ESPN layoffs...They got rid of just about every analyst and actual journalist on the roster and kept every single overprice loudmouth former athlete...they basically gave Fox/NBC/CBS Sports free expert talent and only kept a bunch of flakey ex jocks that annoy most of the people watching. I have honestly not even watched ESPN since the layoffs. They took everything that used to be a strength and turned every sports show into two guys yelling at each other in a match of "Facts vs Volume".

Its sad...

Jim S, Mem11, ford91exploder and 3 others like this.
  9. ABQ

ABQ Well-Known Member

Agreed, mostly, however as long as Bob Ley is there, imho, they have credibility. He's the one guy that I respect, but he's not charismatic, so he doesn't drive ratings, still his journalism is legit, to me. The ex jock blow hards, however.

10. Bender123

Bender123 Well-Known Member

Chris "Get a Fall guy" Carter is still there...why????

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/cri...to-get-a-fall-guy-in-case-they-get-in-trouble

Yeah...that was two years ago and he still works there, but Jayson Stark isn't...

11. raven

raven Well-Known Member

This would be very odd timing since they still are giving HUGE sign-on bonuses and CM referral perks that a higher than average for certain roles.

rreading, Kiff and NeXuS1000 like this.
  12. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

Key phrase there is certain roles.

13. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be nasty, but the only reason that Disney is allowed to "suck" the money out of your wallet is because you let them. You let them tell you where you need to stay, they have conned you into thinking that if you don't pay mega-bucks for the "Disney Experience" that you will be missing something. The way they have it figured they can convince you that in order for you to have a good time you have to open up that wallet for them and let them vacuum it clean. I still go, and even though the admission to the parks is expensive, I don't find it extreme considering the number of hours of constant entertainment that is there for the taking. By the hour, it's pretty cheap. I do not buy into staying at an overpriced resort when I can get a nice, as comfortable, offsite location for a fraction of what Mickey presence requires. I can eat at all types of venues, with quality food for a lot less money and can even rent a vehicle for the time, if necessary, and still save thousands.

I looked up the price for 4 nights at the Poly (standard room) and with even a 4 night stay I can save over a thousand dollars. Result? I don't leave feeling ripped off, because I control the degree that I let Disney have access to my wallet. They can only control what I let them. I have been going there for almost 35 years now, and have never left feeling taken because I won't let them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    rreading, dizowl, thejester and 6 others like this.
  14. pax_65

pax_65 Well-Known Member

I actually agree with your post and I take similar steps. Today our WDW experience is much different than 15 years ago. We actually spend LESS for extras today than in the past. Perhaps as a reaction to Disney's tactics, I've become very protective of my wallet. We do fewer upcharge stuff like tours, holiday parties, renting boats, and fewer sit-down dining on property (in part because reserving tables is such a hassle for popular spots).

We also visit WDW much less often (once every other year vs. twice a year).

So I don't feel ripped off by my decisions, I feel ripped off by Disney's attitude and tactics. There are also things I can't do much about, such as reduced live entertainment, no night MK parade, reduced park hours, MK closed for special event, etc. So even with my protective efforts I still feel I'm not getting the same value as before.

thejester, Jim S, backspace1 and 10 others like this.
  15. Jim S

Jim S Active Member

Do what people are doing to Espn-turn it off. Disney has obviously made a corporate decision and it has become fairly obvious to informed people. Iger has made no secret about his political ambitions and he is a man of the left. He should not be using Disney to elevate his political posture. This is a divided country politically and Iger ignores that fact at the expense of the Disney corporation.

ford91exploder likes this.
  16. monothingie

monothingie OOOOWEEEEEEE! Premium Member

Stroller Parking Greeter

17. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

That's because they know they'll make the other 23 dollars on the churn.

18. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

I wonder who will write the book -- "The Man Who Killed Walt Disney"...

thehowiet, ford91exploder and Jim S like this.
  19. macefamily

macefamily Member

My daughter and her boyfriend are currently doing the the Disney College work program. No wonder they're laying off full time employees. From the stories she is telling me, Disney has a robust line of low-cost employment with these college kids. Her boyfriend has put in a 53 hour week and she has worked full weeks without a day off.

20. EricsBiscuit

EricsBiscuit Well-Known Member

Depends on the market. The person who takes two dollars now thinks that they can compound that into more than 25 dollars 10 1/4s from now. There's more to it than what is implied in your post. You have to evaluate more than just look at the raw numbers.

ford91exploder likes this.