News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Ismael Flores

I kind of wished RSR indoor section had been slightly different. To me it seems kind of weird that you are walking thru radiator springs then get in about afar and go inside a large cave and find yourself back in a section of radiator springs but at night.

George Lucas on a Bench

I guess what I'm saying is I would like Disney to base entire lands around POTC, HM, and Splash Mountain. Is that too much to ask?

Yes. An attraction should exist within a themed land, not be the theme of the land. Otherwise, you end up with this:

Pagemaster_13.jpg

1994 concept art for Haunted Mansion Land.

c-one

I think the part of RSR that falls flat for me is I just don't care about the Cars movies or characters. Taking me through their world does nothing for me. I like the outside portions of the ride because it is an impressive and beautiful vista, and the race part is fun. Personally though, I would have much preferred almost anything else to Carsland.
The weird thing for me is that I'm a real sucker for the American West, and the retro Route 66 kitsch stuff, and visual puns. So I actually love Cars Land as a place to spend time. I'm glad the imagineers drew so much on that part of the Cars world, I think it gives it a little more interest to people who don't care about the franchise at all. But I'll pass on the rides and characters. I'll happily just stick to the path to Pacific Wharf that doesn't really have anything on it.

Also interesting to consider in the wake of TOT. I am legitimately curious how many TOT lovers had seen a Twilight Zone episode beforehand. I'm betting...not that many? Particularly among the younger set. That strikes me as an interesting case of a ride being beloved in spite of its IP.

TROR

Also interesting to consider in the wake of TOT. I am legitimately curious how many TOT lovers had seen a Twilight Zone episode beforehand. I'm betting...not that many? Particularly among the younger set. That strikes me as an interesting case of a ride being beloved in spite of its IP.
Well, with Tower of Terror, the IP was essentially irrelevant. You can remove Rod Serling and all the references to Tower of Terror and its core story of a haunted hotel elevator in Hollywood is still pretty good. I'd say a better argument in case of IP based rides being popular without their IPs being popular in Splash Mountain.

TwilightZone

why go to Carsland since we don't like the Cars movies?
I hate the cars movies they bore me to death, but I love carsland. The theming is excellent imo and it offers a great and fun time even if you just ride one ride there. Plus it has soft serve, and I love me my ice cream.
. You're expecting to be bored, because the movies bored you, even before you see it.
Also before going to carsland, I was not expecting to be bored despite the movies boring me simply because of the amount of exposure rsr got. Not to mention disney's rides are usually fun for me, even the kiddie ones (spinners and the like). The only thing that bores me at disney are the shows, but those can be easily skipped.
Basically the lesson here is don't judge before you ride, IP or otherwise. You might have a great time, you might not. But at least you and your kids can at least say that they experienced it.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm a sucker for good theme design and atmosphere, so of course I love Cars Land despite my disinterest in the Cars film series. That said, I can see why some people might find it ho-hum, especially kids who are more particular about characters and stories, and who have little interest in marveling at stunning details.

EPCOTCenterLover

"Not to mention disney's rides are usually fun for me, even the kiddie ones (spinners and the like). The only thing that bores me at disney are the shows, but those can be easily skipped.
Basically the lesson here is don't judge before you ride, IP or otherwise. You might have a great time, you might not. But at least you and your kids can at least say that they experienced it."

Perfectly said - and I agree 100%

mickEblu

As an AP, their are a few reasons I don't spend a lot of time in Cars Land despite it being beautifully themed. I don't find RSR very repeatable so it's never a must do. Im usually never there early enough for a FP and the standby wait times are not worth it for me.
I'm not particularly fond of the any of the restaurants or food options. The smaller rides ( Maters/ Luigis) wait times are usually too long and not worth the wait. I can get nearly the same experience for my 2 year old son at Bugs Land or Paradise Pier for a 1/3 of the wait time. Then there is convenience, if I am willing to wait longer for a flat ride with my kid I would rather do it in FL which has more options that are within 50 feet of each other. Not to mention FL is a hop, skip and a jump away from the Red Wagon and Plaza Inn- two of the finer food options at DL.

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, with Tower of Terror, the IP was essentially irrelevant. You can remove Rod Serling and all the references to Tower of Terror and its core story of a haunted hotel elevator in Hollywood is still pretty good. I'd say a better argument in case of IP based rides being popular without their IPs being popular in Splash Mountain.

The Tower of Terror didn't live up the Twilight Zone TV show at all. It wouldn't have made any sense as an episode, which were usually intelligent and featured social and political commentary. The story of the TOT is quite stupid compared to the TV show. A hotel is truck by lightning and the elevator goes to...The Twilight Zone!

giphy.gif

D.Silentu

That notion hints at a road not taken. Disney is so IP obsessed, I wonder if they might have ended the Twilight Zone license and developed TOT as their own totally owned property. Suppose they had used the recent six month change over, with concurrent refurbishments in Orlando and Paris, to scrub all Twilight Zone references in favor of their own narrative and redo the preshow(and of course add varying drop profiles). With the proven ability to reprogram the ride, over time an eerie mythology could be developed. At one point wasn't there discussion of a TOT movie(nevermind the 90's groaner)? It seemed like there was a lot of associated merchandise for them to expand on. I can't help but wonder if this was a missed opportunity for them, or I simply miss the ride.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I hate the cars movies they bore me to death, but I love carsland. The theming is excellent imo and it offers a great and fun time even if you just ride one ride there. Plus it has soft serve, and I love me my ice cream.

Also before going to carsland, I was not expecting to be bored despite the movies boring me simply because of the amount of exposure rsr got. Not to mention disney's rides are usually fun for me, even the kiddie ones (spinners and the like). The only thing that bores me at disney are the shows, but those can be easily skipped.
Basically the lesson here is don't judge before you ride, IP or otherwise. You might have a great time, you might not. But at least you and your kids can at least say that they experienced it.

I was speaking more to the general public. Not me and my kids who are big DL fans. I don't hate Carsland or RSR. I think it has some amazing views. And RSR is pretty fun. My kids don't hate it either, they just don't love it. And I think the general public will be less inclined to want to check it out if they don't care for the movies.

TwilightZone

I was speaking more to the general public. Not me and my kids who are big DL fans. I don't hate Carsland or RSR. I think it has some amazing views. And RSR is pretty fun. My kids don't hate it either, they just don't love it. And I think the general public will be less inclined to want to check it out if they don't care for the movies.
Eh I don't know about that, I know some of the "general public" personally and they love it, even if they haven't seen the movie or dislike it. Not to mention that land is super crowded most of the time. I'm betting that not everyone there is a super disney fan, or like/have seen the cars movies.

Curious Constance

Eh I don't know about that, I know some of the "general public" personally and they love it, even if they haven't seen the movie or dislike it. Not to mention that land is super crowded most of the time. I'm betting that not everyone there is a super disney fan, or like/have seen the cars movies.
I'm not speaking in absolutes. All I'm saying is if you lived a 1,000 miles away and saw a commercial on TV for Carlsland, if you have zero interest in the movies, on average I doubt the majority of people will be knocking their drinks over in excitement and on the phone to their travel agents to book a trip.

TwilightZone

I'm not speaking in absolutes. All I'm saying is if you lived a 1,000 miles away and saw a commercial on TV for Carlsland, if you have zero interest in the movies, on average I doubt the majority of people will be knocking their drinks over in excitement and on the phone to their travel agents to book a trip.
Oh yeah that's true lol. But I think that's the case for any ride at disney. If your not a fan of horror, you wouldn't be knocking your drink over for haunted mansion either (just for example).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom