News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

JD2000

not sure exactly how I feel about this. paradise pier has always been mediocre (as the rest of the park) but is it necessary to brand everything to some movie? i visit the parks for the originality, not to ride the movies. and how do they work around all the other themes (mermaid, boardwalk games, etc)? do they actually even have a comprehensive plan or are they just winging it at this point? because that really seems to be the case with marvel land. oh, and didn't miceage talk about doing this (or something very similar) years ago? and i am calling it now: slinky from toy story is taking over screamin'. ;)

SMLR

Wasn't Pixar Pier something that was proposed back then when DCA was still struggling? I remember seeing concept art too (the swings would have been themed to the green alien from Toy Story, etc.) I just can't remember where I saw it.

Last edited:

SSG

This re-theme suggests the Up theme to Redwood Creek Challenge Trail will be gone, if not the attraction itself. And Monsters Inc will go, but that isn't a surprise.

Kiwiduck

not sure exactly how I feel about this. paradise pier has always been mediocre (as the rest of the park) but is it necessary to brand everything to some movie? i visit the parks for the originality, not to ride the movies. and how do they work around all the other themes (mermaid, boardwalk games, etc)? do they actually even have a comprehensive plan or are they just winging it at this point? because that really seems to be the case with marvel land. oh, and didn't miceage talk about doing this (or something very similar) years ago? and i am calling it now: slinky from toy story is taking over screamin'. ;)
Perhaps they were so eager to announce something that hadn't been spoiled online already they designed it on the laptop during the limo ride to the convention centre!

nevol

move monsters inc and buzz lightyear astroblasters over there then. IDK why you need a designated "pixar pier" when you still have carsland and nemo over in disneyland (and buzz). What a mess. I'm all for all of it... just not the rename and how that forces them to retheme mickey fun wheel. Disneyland has great nighttime entertainment and they force a pixar firework show into it? I can't even recall any music from pixar films. When you have a refreshed Fantasmic! and nothing but redundancy in world of color... God forbid anybody had any common sense because they could have brought in a fresh new world of color and left disneyland out of this mess.

nevol

I figured Pixar Pier would be like a Liberty or Edison Street to Paradise Pier. But if they giving the ferris wheel a new name, surely they'll have to take down that giant Mickey head, a non-Pixar character if there ever was one. This is raising more questions than the Star Wars Land.

get ready... i'm imagining a whack-a-mole version of the green aliens in the target in the center of california screamin's loop.

A "Dinner in the sky" under a floating Up house would be great as far as extra-diegetic story-absent IP integration goes. But no, who knows what will happen. Seriously, until and unless all pixar is shoved over there and the subs, then it makes ZERO sense. Maybe this signals the end days for the subs and autopia, post-SWL when they redo tomorrowland? not that P + R can even see 24 hours in front of their faces, so plans for 2021 are not to be trusted.

October82

The four stages of Disney fan acceptance. I guess we are in the "I hate it" mode now. When construction starts we will say "this isn't so bad". When construction is almost done we will say " I can't wait for this to open." Finally when it opens everyone will love it.

Less a consequence of people's feelings changing over time, and more a consequence of who chooses to comment most vocally. People are most likely to voice their opposition to something before it occurs, and most likely to voice their support after.

thepirateking

Less a consequence of people's feelings changing over time, and more a consequence of who chooses to comment most vocally. People are most likely to voice their opposition to something before it occurs, and most likely to voice their support after.

I think you're right. Plus, it's easier to like something once you can see and experience it and have your fears allayed.

This announcement, and several others, seemed a little frustrating because they made a big deal out of it, but gave hardly any information. They trotted John Lasseter out on stage to plug it, but it's hard to even know what they are selling. They are putting "PIXAR" on some signs and adding a picture of Bing Bong, apparently. It's really cool for Disney to show their hand and tell us what they are working on, but I don't think they always do it in the best way.

I think some people are reacting to the opportunity cost as well. Every time PIXAR gets associated with something, it lessens the chance that it gets done better somewhere else. I think there is a lot of pent up demand for additional PIXAR e-tickets. It seems pretty clear (so far, at least) this is not going to deliver on that wish.

lazyboy97o

I don't mind it. When Paradise Pier first opened it was one of those things that you smiled at but always felt a bit odd with the carnival games that were fairly random save the prizes. At least theming it to Pixar brings together TSMM and gives it a land styling.
I don't get the opposition to this. Paradise Pier as it stands now smacks of the failed original DCA and doesn't really have much of a coherent identity. None of the rides are iconic or even very good, so overlays won't hurt.

And the Tokyo TSMM is a great tribute to the classic Trolley Parks - spot on. The Woody head is a riff on Coney Island, of course.
This is not a theme, it is the complete abandonment of theme and storytelling. It is Pixar branding applied to a completely unrelated and arbitrary aesthetic.

How sad that the acquisition was supposed to protect the integrity of Pixar's storytelling from Disney's nonsense.

Figments Friend

This is a shallow exercise in pure laziness.

As I was watching the panel earlier when it was announced via a live feed online, for a moment I thought this was a joke being played on the audience by Lasseter.
The way he was behaving ( too much wine...?) just threw me off when the concept art was shot up on the monitor screen during the presentation.

For about 20 seconds I was a little stunned with confusion.....but then when I realized this was NOT a joke, I was surprised and then quite disgusted.
Absolutely LAME excuse for a 'overlay'.

They need to seriously just rename the Park to 'Disney Pixar Adventure' already.
Gawd dang it....
So done with all the Pixar over saturation within the Parks.

:cautious:

-

britain

I don't see it

upload_2017-7-15_22-25-48.png

Disney was doing SUCH a good job garnering good will from me... and this very nearly has blown it.

Grr.... I'm going back to looking at pictures of the Star Wars model...

Californian Elitist

This is a shallow excercise in pure laziness.

As I was watching the panel earlier when it was announced via a live feed online, for a moment I thought this was a joke being played on the audience by Lasseter.
The way he was behaving ( too much wine...?) just threw me off when the concept art was shot up on the monitor screen during the presentation.

For about 20 seconds I was a little stunned with confusion.....but then when I realized this was NOT a joke, I was surprised and then quite disgusted.
Absolutely LAME excuse for a 'overlay'.

They need to seriously just rename the Park to 'Disney's Pixar Adventure' already.
Gawd dang it....
So done with all the Pixar over saturation within the Parks.

:cautious:

-

I thought it was a joke, too. I even let out a "heh" when he announced it. Then they kept going and my smirk turned into a confused face quickly.

Suspirian

Wasn't Pixar Pier something that was proposed back then when DCA was still struggling? I remember seeing concept art too (the swings would have been themed to the green alien from Toy Story, etc.) I just can't remember where I saw it.

It was Toy Story Pier if I'm not mistaken
Please tell me they re not replacing Mickeys face with the Pixar lamp?

I was hoping it would be Babyface

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom