Parade information

WDWLover#1

Original Poster
I just wanted to know if anyone knows how the logistics of parades work. How does the music work and change and is choreographed to happen at the exact same time. How long does it take to get it ready? It'd be great if someone could answer I've just always wondered that's all. Thanks!

Tom

Beta Return
The parades are very carefully choreographed and timed, with a lot of things working in harmony.

As for the music, there is a base track that plays along the route, using all the hidden speakers in the buildings and light poles. The intro spiel is played zone by zone, as the lead float approaches that zone. Then, it just loops the same harmony throughout the duration of the parade.

Then, each float has on-board speakers which play the float-specific melody. The floats loop their own music over and over as well. The float melodies sync perfectly with the underlying harmony played along the route using a wireless SNTP time synchronization system. For the sake of simplicity, SNTP uses an inaudible pulse that syncs multiple computers.

In the MK, they used to track the locations of each float using radio transmitters embedded in the pavement, but I believe they've abandoned that system and monitor the parade by way of multiple cameras, and human spotters. Via radio communication between Parade Control, the floats, and spotters, they keep the floats spaced appropriately. Drivers will speed up or slow down based on direction from Control and spotters.

The performers just repeat their routines over and over, and follow along with the tempo of the music. Certain floats with "speaking" characters will have some phrases that play on the on-board speakers. The furry characters know when they play, and will gesture accordingly (as if they're speaking).

As for getting ready, the time varies based on the role. Some performers can get ready in mere minutes, while others take much longer to get dressed, do hair and make-up, or don their fur.

I believe it takes around an hour to get all the floats out of the barn and line them up in starting position. They can't stage them too early, or the batteries will not last.

I'm sure there are former/current parade performers on here who can offer more specific information, but this is the gist of it.

WDWLover#1

Original Poster
The parades are very carefully choreographed and timed, with a lot of things working in harmony.

As for the music, there is a base track that plays along the route, using all the hidden speakers in the buildings and light poles. The intro spiel is played zone by zone, as the lead float approaches that zone. Then, it just loops the same harmony throughout the duration of the parade.

Then, each float has on-board speakers which play the float-specific melody. The floats loop their own music over and over as well. The float melodies sync perfectly with the underlying harmony played along the route using a wireless SNTP time synchronization system. For the sake of simplicity, SNTP uses an inaudible pulse that syncs multiple computers.

In the MK, they used to track the locations of each float using radio transmitters embedded in the pavement, but I believe they've abandoned that system and monitor the parade by way of multiple cameras, and human spotters. Via radio communication between Parade Control, the floats, and spotters, they keep the floats spaced appropriately. Drivers will speed up or slow down based on direction from Control and spotters.

The performers just repeat their routines over and over, and follow along with the tempo of the music. Certain floats with "speaking" characters will have some phrases that play on the on-board speakers. The furry characters know when they play, and will gesture accordingly (as if they're speaking).

As for getting ready, the time varies based on the role. Some performers can get ready in mere minutes, while others take much longer to get dressed, do hair and make-up, or don their fur.

I believe it takes around an hour to get all the floats out of the barn and line them up in starting position. They can't stage them too early, or the batteries will not last.

I'm sure there are former/current parade performers on here who can offer more specific information, but this is the gist of it.

It's my understanding that FoF and Soundsational doesn't have a base track as the music from the floats just blend as they move along the parade route. HiH in Tokyo does however. Is there a reason for this?

Tom

Beta Return
It's my understanding that FoF and Soundsational doesn't have a base track as the music from the floats just blend as they move along the parade route. HiH in Tokyo does however. Is there a reason for this?

I haven't seen these new parades, so I can't attest to the accuracy of your statement. But I can say that it's tremendously more expensive to orchestrate/compose a harmony and several separate melodies, and to coordinate them perfectly with all the floats. I presume that had MSEP not already been outfitted with the technology years ago, it would not utilize this method of broadcasting the audio.

Tom

Beta Return
Soundsational is awesome!!! Festival of fantasy not so much!!! Blahhhhh

Our next trip is in 25 days....in August. There is a 100% guarantee that we will not see any outdoor daytime entertainment. I'll rely on YouTube to help me avoid those sweltering activities.

pug

So people are in them driving them?

JoeCamel

So people are in them driving them?

Absolute, there are spotters to keep an eye on what the driver cannot see and the drivers control the float forward movement. Think what would happen if a guest was injured by an automated float, no they don't take that risk. They are under control at all times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom