Pandora - The World of Avatar opening day reports

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, Disney planned to open it on Memorial Day weekend to ensure massive crowds. That's also why they had a surprise EMH this morning. All to make the crowds looks busier than the opening of Harry Potter. They are fishing for mass media coverage.

It wasn't a surprise emh ..it's been advertised since at least the 17th as emh here at our resort

Evening EMH

@raven - What is your problem?

You are that prototypical 'hater' who feels they must always mock Disney and its leadership.

Proof is here. You just made spit up. Just so you can spit on Disney.

EMH for both two mornings a week and every night for a month was announced back at the end of March. See this post.

So, why the alternative facts just to spit on this?

[Obviously, 'spit' is a metaphor, and a rhyme.]

freediverdude

I like on this site that there is positive and negative viewpoints represented. Let's keep it like that, and not turn into that other site where the pixie dusters swoop in and attack if you say anything negative about Disney. (And I even suspect some of them are paid by Disney to control the narrative about complaints over there.)

raven

I like on this site that there is positive and negative viewpoints represented. Let's keep it like that, and not turn into that other site where the pixie dusters swoop in and attack if you say anything negative about Disney. (And I even suspect some of them are paid by Disney to control the narrative about complaints over there.)
Thank you. I just don't sugar coat anything and never have. I tell it like it is.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Ok so one of my posts was wrong, fine. That doesn't make me a "prototypical hater."

Well, thank-you for admitting it. No, really. I appreciate you did. That was the issue. When it was pointed out that your criticism was based on wrong info, you didn't respond. That would put you in the category of @ford91exploder who still hasn't admitted they were wrong about the holiday party times being shortened (they're not).

You can be critical. I can be critical (you can find my screeds on this forum against MK's PotC). We all need to make sure it's based on real information.

Thank-you.

CaptainAmerica

I normally would agree, but also keep in mind Star Wars has been around 20 years longer than Potter and has far bigger multi-generational fan base. It will settle down but I think it's going to be a capacity nightmare on both coasts (probably more Disneyland because they already have capacity issues as it is) for a few years after it opens.
A "capacity nightmare" is a GOOD thing. I'm curious why you seem to insist that Disney should be upset at the fact that AK is bursting at the seams and DHS will do the same with Star Wars. Would you advise them to do less popular things that won't sell tickets and merch and food and hotel rooms?

xstech25

Since the park hasn't ran out of parking or hit capacity yet, I think it's safe to say Star Wars will be a busier opening day (because lets be serious we all know that will happen at like 9am on SW opening day.

That being said Avatar is clearly a huge success and can stand on its own. 60+ minute wait just to get into the land, 2+ hour wait for each ride, and 60 minute wait for the gift shop...i'd put that in the huge success category. James Cameron must be wetting his pants.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
A "capacity nightmare" is a GOOD thing.

I would argue it is only to a point, because you're turning away customers. And that negative experience can affect their future purchases.

This is one of the faults of the pay-one-price and go-anywhere-and-anytime model of Disney Ticketing. With a few exceptions (black-out dates for some passes), you can wind up with everyone (and I mean 'everyone') showing up at the same park at the same time. You serve 10,000 customers and 600,000 get turned away and may never come back. Disney has to use black-out dates, surge pricing, increased general pricing, off-peak incentives, and the limitations of housing to keep that from happening; which can not work effectively at times.

This is why we should all expect prices to continue to climb faster than inflation while there are still excellent off-peak discounts. It's the most logical way to spread attendance.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
A "capacity nightmare" is a GOOD thing. I'm curious why you seem to insist that Disney should be upset at the fact that AK is bursting at the seams and DHS will do the same with Star Wars. Would you advise them to do less popular things that won't sell tickets and merch and food and hotel rooms?

We'll know as the days go by if they've hit it out of the park. I'm pretty sure that they have.

raven

That being said Avatar is clearly a huge success and can stand on its own. 60+ minute wait just to get into the land, 2+ hour wait for each ride, and 60 minute wait for the gift shop...i'd put that in the huge success category. James Cameron must be wetting his pants.
...on opening day at least.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That being said Avatar is clearly a huge success and can stand on its own. 60+ minute wait just to get into the land, 2+ hour wait for each ride, and 60 minute wait for the gift shop...i'd put that in the huge success category.

While I expect Pandora to be successful, I wouldn't use opening day/weekend/month/year as the measure. People naturally flock to things that are new and haven't done before. If there are hour waits for the Pandora rides come mid-January... then that's a success.

The other measure of success which you can use right now, are customer surveys... although, they'd be skewed a little more to the negative (or less positive) right now because of the crowds. I'm sure the surveys from the AP/DVC previews are telling WDW right now whether they have a success on their hands.

CaptainAmerica

I would argue it is only to a point, because you're turning away customers. And that negative experience can affect their future purchases.

This is one of the faults of the pay-one-price and go-anywhere-and-anytime model of Disney Ticketing. With a few exceptions (black-out dates for some passes), you can wind up with everyone (and I mean 'everyone') showing up at the same park at the same time. You serve 10,000 customers and 600,000 get turned away and may never come back. Disney has to use black-out dates, surge pricing, increased general pricing, off-peak incentives, and the limitations of housing to keep that from happening; which can not work effectively at times.

This is why we should all expect prices to continue to climb faster than inflation while there are still excellent off-peak discounts. It's the most logical way to spread attendance.
I agree with all of this. My post is based on the assumption that Avatar and, to a greater extent, Star Wars will continue to be hugely popular but certainly not at the levels we're seeing on opening day.

Either way, guests aren't really "turned away" from experiencing the Disney product. If they can't get into Pandora, they have the rest of AK to explore. If AK is too crowded as a whole, there are three other parks and tons of resorts to experience. As long as those things deliver positive experiences, the impact of the new "draw" lands will be greater than guests' specific reactions to the lands themselves. In other words, come for Pandora, stay for Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom