Pandora forgotten

Gelatoni

Original Poster
I really feel like Star Wars land has totally stolen the thunder from Pandora. When ever disney talks about new stuff it seems like they are like "omg new concept art of star wars land ! And oh yea heres some Pandora crap..

Especially when the fan base people get so excited for Star Wars Land they completely forgotten about Pandora.

BigRedDad

From what I have seen of Pandora, it looks amazing. The problem with it is that it will be slammed for months to come. I am sure it is going to be enjoyable but there is just nothing there that is truly innovative. It is very possible the VR for FoW is incredible but it is something that is already done. Na'vi river is simply PotC, IaSW, Splash Mtn with a Pandora theme. It is great that they have more area to thin out the herds. It would have been nice to have an extremely innovative attraction.

That's my opinion and people will disagree. But when you boil it down, that is really all it is with Disney Imagineering.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
There are certainly more fans of Star Wars than Avatar, however wait and see the reviews from SW land and it will be obvious you can't please everyone.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I think the advertising for Pandora has been nice and subtle.
untitled.png

Gelatoni

Original Poster
Your right they put it in every shop. How did pandora not sponsor pandora?

I don't think the quality of the park has much to do with it. I think the day the announced star wars land and toy story lsnd everyone just moved on. I almost feel like if they weren't so far in on pandora at the time they would've canned it.

correcaminos

My thoughts are that Pandora sounds huge now. Even my non-Disney friends say "oh so you'll see the new Avatar stuff" when I say I'm going. While I cannot think of anyone who was a huge Avatar fan, people know about it.

Not Star Wars' fault that it has a better following than Fern Gully 2 ;) I still think the timing of Pandora was poor. Too far from the original and the new ones keep getting pushed back to the point I am not sure if or when we'll ever see them.

This admittedly doesn't bother me in the least as we'll check it out because it looks cool but none of us liked the movie to begin with.

Raineman

I can't believe how many people are still missing the point that you don't have to have even seen Avatar to enjoy Pandora at DAK. No extensive knowledge of the IP is needed. From all accounts, the majority of sneak peek visitors have been positive about Pandora. DLR & WDW have many classic attractions that did not have any tie in with an existing IP, and they became must do attractions for years, and are still hugely popular today. There are even Disney attractions that are IP based, but based on IPs that very few people know, and are still loved (Splash Mountain). I don't understand how people can't just wait until they actually go to Pandora, and let the experience speak for itself, instead of making judgements based on limited information they have gotten on the Internet.

drizgirl

When you take this many years from announcement to opening, you run the risk that people will move on to thinking about other things.

Kamikaze

Especially if the rumor about closing Star Tours is accurate. Although I have no doubt the theming of what they do will be outstanding.

Star Tours isn't part of SWL regardless. The same complaint will happen at DL, where ST is clear across the park.

Bandini

When you take this many years from announcement to opening, you run the risk that people will move on to thinking about other things.
I think it was the same with NFL and Frozen in Epcot. These were OK, but they weren't that impressive for the amount of time they took to upgrade. I am waiting to see what the general public thinks of Pandoraland.

JTT

I have never been a fan of Avatar and thought it being at WDW was a mistake BUT I've been impressed by the videos of the new land and the rides. I'm looking forward to going back and spending time in Pandora.

Mickey5150

The best thing about Pandora is that it increases capacity enough at AK that once SWL opens and draws so many people to HS it should give Disney the opportunity to shut down Everest and finally fix it. Also the fact that there are multiple Avatar movies coming in the future will give DIsney a chance to draw people back to Pandora in 2020, 2022, etc...

Oddysey

From what I have seen of Pandora, it looks amazing. The problem with it is that it will be slammed for months to come. I am sure it is going to be enjoyable but there is just nothing there that is truly innovative. It is very possible the VR for FoW is incredible but it is something that is already done. Na'vi river is simply PotC, IaSW, Splash Mtn with a Pandora theme. It is great that they have more area to thin out the herds. It would have been nice to have an extremely innovative attraction.

That's my opinion and people will disagree. But when you boil it down, that is really all it is with Disney Imagineering.

With respect to innovation.

Before experiencing Pandora, seeing the Shaman, and especially after riding FoP, I would have wholly agreed with you.

After experiencing Pandora, seeing the Shaman, and especially after riding FoP, I now respectfully disagree.

I am not a fan of the film, and have been unimpressed with many of Disney's new offerings over about the last decade. I entered the area with low expectations and was presently surprised. One thing I will agree with you on is that it will be slammed for a long time. During the preview I was able walk around slowly and take it all in. The lines were short, nobody was rushing, and I truly got the whole of the experience. I fear that much of that enjoyment and ability to focus on the outstanding detail will be lost when Pandora is officially open to all.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
No, but it means the net availability of Star Wars attractions in each of those parks will go up by....... one.
The vast majority of WDW guests, i.e. 100% of the people who aren't on this type of message board plus half of us who are on this type of message board, never think to count numbers of attractions and evaluate the parks according to that criteria. WDW is at its best when you're being entertained without queuing for or riding a "ride." Think of the rave reviews Universal has gotten for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. That's two major new lands with one new ride each. Not at all impressive from a "quantity of attractions" perspective, but tremendously impressive from a themed entertainment perspective.

Lets Respect

Pandora will be well-used and loved and all of that. But it will never have the diehard fan base that Star Wars does, or even Mickey Mouse. And that's ok.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom