1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Pandora Dining?

Discussion in 'WDW Restaurants and Dining' started by NiarrNDisney, Aug 22, 2015.

1. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Well now that the D23 Expo has created a huge to do on WDW's future by releasing information, confirmed some rumors, and stirred the pot of speculation!

What do you think the dining experiences are going to be like in Pandora?

How is the Mouse going to create menus for this new land in DAK?

We have got a small sneak peek on a few of the items envisioned for the Star Wars Land with the Rebel Hangar but I personally can't really grasp what they could do with the menus!

Exactly what do Na'Vi eat? Is their diet primarily vegetarian? Do they plan on serving us bugs? :hungover:

Thought's?!

2. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Its about damned time. Premium Member

image.jpg

Marc Levin, bee, NonnaT and 6 others like this.
  3. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member Original Poster

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    NonnaT likes this.
  4. ItlngrlBella

ItlngrlBella Well-Known Member

Wondering if they will get creative with certain edible compounds and mold them into "new foods" and get a little artistic with molds, edible airbrush paint? I've seen pics of Tokyo Disneyland doing some cool stuff with mochi and food art. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

SamN'Dean, NonnaT, afar28 and 4 others like this.
  5. ItlngrlBella

ItlngrlBella Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    NonnaT, afar28, lunchbox1175 and 4 others like this.
  6. NiarrNDisney

I would love to see some sort of Molecular Gastronomy dining experience though I am not sure many guest would get it or like it for that matter.
    I have always wanted to go to one of Jose Andres restaurants and enjoy one of his multiple course dinners. He's considered one of the fore fathers of the cooking style and easily one of my favorite celebrity chefs.
    I can't see Disney using all of the different types of cooking techniques used in the craft but trying a few here and there to make some variety and new creative foods would certainly be interesting!

7. HouCuseChickie

HouCuseChickie Well-Known Member

Funny...I was also thinking Molecular Gastronomy, but wondering if Disney would go for some of the media appeal of someone like Wylie Dufresne. He seems to be featured on a number of popular cooking shows, so they might lean more for the average public familiarity if they were to go that route. Still, that's a big if since it seems a bit too out of the norm for a TS inside one of the parks.

Beyond that, a vegetarian concept might be interesting.

8. NiarrNDisney

Well it seems that the Na'Vi eat very healthy balancing their diets with lots of fruit, grains, seeds, and vegetables with a little meat.

From what I can gather from the menu I can see something like this being offered at a CS restaurant:

Snacks - Edamame
    Flat Breads and dips (Similar to Sanaa Bread Service or Victoria Falls)
    Lettuce Wraps (Chicken, Shrimp or Tofu)
    Shi****o Peppers
    Veggies and Hummus

Sides - Corn and bean salad (Similar to what is served with many Vegetarian meals)
    Kale Chips
    Lentil Salad (Similar to Tangierine Café)
    Pickled Veggies (Similar to Tangierine Café)
    Quinoa and Couscous salad
    Spinach salad
    Tabouleh salad
    Yucca fries

Entrees - Chicken Kabobs w/ choice of sides
    Fish of the day w/ choice of sides
    Fresh Greens Salad (Made to order choice of Chicken, Shrimp or tofu) w/ Flat bread & dip
    Pork Kabobs w/ choice of sides
    Pork tenderloin medallion's w/ choice of sides
    Shrimp Kabobs w/ choice of sides
    Wild Mushroom Soup w/ Flat bread & dip

Deserts - Banana tapioca pudding
    Flax seed Carrot Cake
    Fruit salad
    Oatmeal and Chia seed cookies
    Yogurt w/ granola and berries

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    NonnaT, afar28 and ItlngrlBella like this.
  9. Bairstow

Bairstow Well-Known Member

I thought it was the District 9 prawns that were crazy for cat food.

10. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Well-Known Member

No idea what the menu will be like but I believe we're looking at a QS/TS hybrid a la Be Our Guest.

afar28 and NiarrNDisney like this.
  11. networkpro

networkpro Well-Known Member

Considering the Na'vi have pronounced canines, carry all the accoutrements of hunter gathering societies (knives, spears, bows with arrows) instead of all flat grinding molars I'd suggest that they are omnivorous and ate what was needed to sustain themselves, namely protein and energy rich foodstuffs. Most hunter-gatherer foodstuffs are not homogenized and part of modern industrial society diets... not many organ meats, entrails, or insects. Crafting equivalents to fit a menu that would also be palatable to the average guest I dare say would be light on quinoa and kale as there are not many guest that follow fad diets. Little Johnny and Suzy will be clamoring for chicken nuggets, hot dogs, un-crustables, and fries.

Theres a bean hugger outpost already in AK that doesnt get much traffic already, no need to re-create a three armed mickey.

tribbleorlfl likes this.
  12. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Well-Known Member

What the hell are you talking about? Obviously they're going to have a kids' menu that will offer those things. That has nothing to do with what the adult options will look like.

NiarrNDisney likes this.
  13. Mawg

Mawg Well-Known Member

my guess is six legged dog roasting on a spit over an open flame.

Spectro, NonnaT and afar28 like this.
  14. networkpro

Kabobs galore? Didn't see a single kabob in the film, yet the suggested menu is middle eastern/ central Asian in composition. Unique themed Pandoran food stuffs is what the area needs for immersion.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  15. NiarrNDisney

If you read the wiki page that someone posted you will see that there is a list of the kinds of foods and preparations the Na'Vi use which is what gave me the information to create my imagined menu. It listed that the Na'Vi tend to roast meats on sticks much like Kabobs and that they have a diet high in fruit, fungus, seeds, and vegetables. So I took their diet and adapted it to those of indigenous tribes that still are found on islands and plains in rainforest and savannahs around the world. I found that many of their ingredients matched things like Casava a root which can be turned into flour for baking unleavened breads as well as making tapioca, there were many seeds used in baking or eaten which reminded me of Chia and Flax seed. Leaves much like Kale and Spinach. Starches like Palm (Hearts of Palm) and Taro root. I added Quinoa and Cous Cous to fill out a meal. I noticed they had some fruit and vegetables that I tried to compare to what we have and their meats I attempted to understand. I found that outside of hunting and fishing they also kept livestock so I went with pork and chicken. As for what they hunted and fished for it described something much like shrimp. The game meat tossed me through a loop so I choose not to go there especially since Disney doesn't tend to serve much exotic meat on CS menus also it talked about a large scary fish but figured it would be better to go with something most people are used to like Halibut, Salmon or Tuna for catch of the day. Do you understand where I was going now.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    Courtney6682 and afar28 like this.
  16. networkpro

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Na'vi_Diet

Food wraps (burrito ish items) and stews I see as only the jungle inhabitants have been exposed. Diets and climates are not uniform across a globe.

17. NiarrNDisney

I honestly don't know where you are going! So I'm am just going to leave it as I made an imagined menu for a possible restaurant. If you go back to my original post you will see that this was an open question left to imagination and possibilities! Therefore you are welcome to dream up your own concept whatever it is hence the thread!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  18. networkpro

I appreciate the effort and will let it drop as well.

19. Bparso87

Bparso87 Well-Known Member

I would think it would be based on the military side and be like a mess hall

afar28 and tribbleorlfl like this.
  20. tribbleorlfl

tribbleorlfl Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was always under the assumption the QS would be in the former outpost's "Hell's Kitchen" commissary, which was confirmed at D23.
    http://www.clickorlando.com/news/theme-world-extreme-park-makeovers/34724138
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As such, I expect the menu to be cafeteria-style, "mess hall grub" with stews, casseroles, that sort of thing. Think anything you'd find in a typical institutional setting. In the above picture, I see fruit cups, eggs, toast, ketchup, that sort of thing, so I doubt we're going to get Nav'vi cusine, though it's possible they throw in an exotic ingredient and call it a Pandoran fruit.

Another possibility could be since this is the remnants of the Hell's Gate complex and RDA has been kicked out in favor of a welcome center, the infrastructure might not be there to support a fully-operational dining hall. As such, could we get some sort of futuristic MRE? Menu itsef would probably be similar to a normal mess hall situation, it could just be packaged in a bag of some sort instead of a tray like in the picture above.

All I know is SOS better be on the menu.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    PorterRedkey likes this.