Pandora and Everest

Casper Gutman

When time comes to refurb the outside of the mountain it will be interesting to see how they do it. It was built with toothpick scaffolding which you really can't put back.

Rocket pack. They intend to wait a little while.

Is there any single realistic thing WDW could do to elicit more fan goodwill then fix the yeti? Imagine the torrent of support that would follow that move.

RSoxNo1

I assume you mean Joe Rohde. He has expressed a desire to see the Yeti fixed but I do not believe he has ever said in public what the issue is. Earlier in this thread I posted what sounds like to me the most plausible description of the issue. I think if the only thing preventing the Yeti from being fixed was finding a time to do it, then it would have been done by now.
When he mentioned the yeti, his public statements about what's wrong with it were non-specific. If I recall it was a re-hashing of the three separate structures discussion that was made on the Expedition Everest special and that it was a complex problem.

Biff215

I'm sure the yeti isn't an easy fix, but I'm also not convinced it's too crazy either. I don't think Disney believes the park can handle it going down for an extended period, which is interesting when you look at what they're doing at DHS.

It's been long believed that Pandora would allow this opportunity, but now I'm not so sure. Assuming Pandora draws more guests to AK, they may need Everest more than ever to balance out the park. Maybe once the opening crowds die down and SWL nears they can carve out 3-6 months to give the entire mountain some love.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I'm sure the yeti isn't an easy fix, but I'm also not convinced it's too crazy either. I don't think Disney believes the park can handle it going down for an extended period, which is interesting when you look at what they're doing at DHS.

It's been long believed that Pandora would allow this opportunity, but now I'm not so sure. Assuming Pandora draws more guests to AK, they may need Everest more than ever to balance out the park. Maybe once the opening crowds die down and SWL nears they can carve out 3-6 months to give the entire mountain some love.
I think Everest needs more like a year to get back to opening-day conditions. Now, there's no way they're taking it down for a year, but that's my opinion

Jedi Stitch

I assume you mean Joe Rohde. He has expressed a desire to see the Yeti fixed but I do not believe he has ever said in public what the issue is. Earlier in this thread I posted what sounds like to me the most plausible description of the issue. I think if the only thing preventing the Yeti from being fixed was finding a time to do it, then it would have been done by now.
Multiple sources have confirmed that Disney's Imagineers have a VERY serious problem on their hands regarding the infamous "Disco Yeti". Expedition Everest enthusiasts have known for some time that the complex animatronic has been parked in B-Mode and Disney does not appear to be in any hurry to return the figure into its fully functional state. The concrete and steel foundation supporting the Yeti may be cracked and the repairs required will result a prolonged closure of the attraction.

If waiting until a scheduled refurbishment to repair the Yeti's foundation were the only obstacle facing Disney, then Expedition Everest fans' impatience would be tempered with the knowledge that the Yeti will eventually be fixed. But the real obstacle may be insurmountable.

You see, the Imagineers designed Expedition Everest as three separate and independent structures. First, the mountain itself. Second, the roller coaster track and track supports. Third, the foundation, support beams, and animatronic skeleton of the Yeti itself. Construction of all three structures was so complex that Disney had to rely upon a 4D software modeling program known as ConstructSim (a product of Bentley Systems, Inc) to help them coordinate the complex construction timeframe and coordination schedules.

There are rumors that a serious mistake in the application of ConstructSim resulted in improper staging of the Yeti foundation and support structure construction. The error in sequencing prevented adequate curing of a portion of the Yeti's foundation prior to the overlapping fabrication of mountain elements and roller coaster track. The premature construction produced additional stresses on the animatronic figure's foundation and produced excessive stress points. The mountain and roller coaster track construction, in turn, prevented the foundation from being visible to construction inspectors.

Expedition Everest was too complex in its design to allow construction without a 4D software like ConstructSim. Conversely, repair work on the Yeti's base will require selective removal of parts of the mountain structure and ride track structure. This refurbishment will also require extensive software previsualization. Disney's Imagineers must figure out what went wrong in the original construction previsualization before they can trust any future refurbishment previsualization.

A construction defect this critical in a project this complex can be a very daunting task for any organization to overcome -- even a group as talented as the Disney Imagineers. The question is -- will the Disney Corporate Bean Counters allow the Imagineers to fix the problem, or will they decide that "Disco Yeti" is "good enough"?

This is from Mice Chat. I am searching for the video now of Joe talking about the problem.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Multiple sources have confirmed that Disney's Imagineers have a VERY serious problem on their hands regarding the infamous "Disco Yeti". Expedition Everest enthusiasts have known for some time that the complex animatronic has been parked in B-Mode and Disney does not appear to be in any hurry to return the figure into its fully functional state. The concrete and steel foundation supporting the Yeti may be cracked and the repairs required will result a prolonged closure of the attraction.

If waiting until a scheduled refurbishment to repair the Yeti's foundation were the only obstacle facing Disney, then Expedition Everest fans' impatience would be tempered with the knowledge that the Yeti will eventually be fixed. But the real obstacle may be insurmountable.

You see, the Imagineers designed Expedition Everest as three separate and independent structures. First, the mountain itself. Second, the roller coaster track and track supports. Third, the foundation, support beams, and animatronic skeleton of the Yeti itself. Construction of all three structures was so complex that Disney had to rely upon a 4D software modeling program known as ConstructSim (a product of Bentley Systems, Inc) to help them coordinate the complex construction timeframe and coordination schedules.

There are rumors that a serious mistake in the application of ConstructSim resulted in improper staging of the Yeti foundation and support structure construction. The error in sequencing prevented adequate curing of a portion of the Yeti's foundation prior to the overlapping fabrication of mountain elements and roller coaster track. The premature construction produced additional stresses on the animatronic figure's foundation and produced excessive stress points. The mountain and roller coaster track construction, in turn, prevented the foundation from being visible to construction inspectors.

Expedition Everest was too complex in its design to allow construction without a 4D software like ConstructSim. Conversely, repair work on the Yeti's base will require selective removal of parts of the mountain structure and ride track structure. This refurbishment will also require extensive software previsualization. Disney's Imagineers must figure out what went wrong in the original construction previsualization before they can trust any future refurbishment previsualization.

A construction defect this critical in a project this complex can be a very daunting task for any organization to overcome -- even a group as talented as the Disney Imagineers. The question is -- will the Disney Corporate Bean Counters allow the Imagineers to fix the problem, or will they decide that "Disco Yeti" is "good enough"?

This is from Mice Chat. I am searching for the video now of Joe talking about the problem.

Yes, I have heard this before, and I (as well as other) question whether it is the truth or not. The problem with the Mice Chat post, this is from a message board post, is that it doesn't site a source. The information I posted above can be traced back to the specific Imagineer who said it.

The problem is there is no direct record of anyone from Disney explaining what the problem is, it's all been second hand. I would not be surprised to find out that the "cracked foundation" is one of those things that's been repeated on fan sites so many times that people believe it is true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom