Pandora and Everest

RunnerEd

Original Poster
I have no insider knowledge and am mainly asking a question. Joe Rohde has said that one day, he will fix the Yeti. It has always seemed logical that Everest would stay running until Pandora opened and then be fixed. With an opening date for a new land that will consume a lot of guests, what is the possibility of finally getting an Everest overhaul including a moving yeti?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have no insider knowledge and am mainly asking a question. Joe Rohde has said that one day, he will fix the Yeti. It has always seemed logical that Everest would stay running until Pandora opened and then be fixed. With an opening date for a new land that will consume a lot of guests, what is the possibility of finally getting an Everest overhaul including a moving yeti?

The depends if you believe that the ride needs to be closed to fix the Yeti or not. If, as some have suggested, the ride doesn't need to be closed to do the repair, then Avatar opening likely won't have any impact on whether it gets fixed or not.

Biff215

Even if they can fix the yeti without closing, you'd still think this coaster (and the mountain itself) is due for some general maintenance after all these years of almost constant operation. The opening of Avatar might seem like an obvious time to do it, but this summer will also bring a surge of guests that could cause capacity issues with Everest closed. Personally I wish they had shut it down after the holiday season so that it could be ready for May. At this point that seems unlikely, so I'm guessing they'll at least want to get through summer if not next holiday season before taking it down.

Now whether or not they'll actually fix the yeti is an entirely different conversation, whether Rohde said it or not. My guess would be a modified version with limited movement but nothing like the original. We're lucky he's still there at all with Disney's apparent fear of moving pieces above guests (see BTMR).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Even if they can fix the yeti without closing, you'd still think this coaster (and the mountain itself) is due for some general maintenance after all these years of almost constant operation. The opening of Avatar might seem like an obvious time to do it, but this summer will also bring a surge of guests that could cause capacity issues with Everest closed. Personally I wish they had shut it down after the holiday season so that it could be ready for May. At this point that seems unlikely, so I'm guessing they'll at least want to get through summer if not next holiday season before taking it down.

Now whether or not they'll actually fix the yeti is an entirely different conversation, whether Rohde said it or not. My guess would be a modified version with limited movement but nothing like the original. We're lucky he's still there at all with Disney's apparent fear of moving pieces above guests (see BTMR).

I do agree that the ride has to go down for some maintenance sooner then later. I think once the initial crowds let up it will go down for a refurb. Maybe early next year.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I think Everest will close, but the focus of the refurb will be the track/ mountain. The whole ride is dirty, just look at the broken track scene. The yeti was disappointing when the ride was 100% perfect, now it's just fallen into general shabbiness. It really looks like 2012 Splash Mountain, as seen here:

EagleScout610

Premium Member
But does the yeti itself need fixing or is it the structure he's placed on meaning he's turned off?
I believe it was confirmed recently all damage to the yeti is internal, and that he hasn't been repaired due to Disney being stingy about overhead FX (BTMRR)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wasn't it said or rumored that he can't move because of the structure being cracked? There's just too much rumor about both. @marni1971
The damage is within the figure and it's structure.

The platform, platform support structure and foundation are sound I believe.

Aside from the broken figure (broken) and missing mist (track mist damaged beyond repair) there's not a lot more that can go wrong show wise. Water pumps, a stick and blue screen of death. For such an epic concept it's amazingly lacking in show.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But does the yeti itself need fixing or is it the structure he's placed on meaning he's turned off?

This was posted in the Everest Effects Status thread recently and provides what to me is the most plausible explanation of what it wrong, and has a pretty solid connection to a reliable source...

"I've been meaning to post this for quite a while, but just haven't had time. Thanks to a recent reminder from @Master Yoda to try and shed some light on the Yeti debacle....

Ok, so back in September I was at a conference at WDW, and the wife decided to book a Dine With An Imagineer lunch at DHS. I skipped one of my educational sessions to do this, and we ended up with a 2-for-1. The main imagineer was a Show Design and Production manager, who was a DWAI veteran (and most recently involved in the Frozen Ever After project); the other guy was a mechanical engineer in charge of show quality, who was a newbie-in-training, at least when it came to these dinners. He explained to us that it was his job to do periodic "reviews" of the rides, and point out areas where show quality is falling below certain standards. He's also heavily involved in maintaining ride systems and animatronics. It was a fantastic experience, and we learned a lot about how things work behind the scenes, but nearing the end of our time, I (obviously) couldn't resist bringing up the Yeti.

Immediately upon my mentioning the Yeti, I could see that it was an obvious a sore spot for him. He stated that there have been multiple proposals put forth for repairing it, but none of the "big shots" have been on board. As for the specific problem, he mentioned that there are a couple of factors: flaws in the original "design calculations" (these were his words), particularly with regard to operational and maintenance conditions on such a large animatronic, and inability to perform proper maintenance on the Yeti. No mention of "shifting/failed foundations" as is often suggested. As a practicing structural engineer, I wanted to know whether this was the problem, and he indicated that the main issue is the animatronic itself.

The other factor is the ability to perform maintenance on the animatronic. I think this is the source of rumors that they "can't replace /fix it without opening up the mountain" rumors, but it's actually much simpler, and this issue ties into the first. He specifically talked about unanticipated stresses in parts of the animatronic due to lack of maintenance in other parts. If one of the motors in the yeti's elbow wears out or isn't functioning properly, but they continue to operate under those conditions, then higher stresses are transferred to the shoulder and chest, etc. My best guess regarding his comments about "incorrect calculations" is that he was referring to fatigue related problems in the robotic parts, and possibly in other structural supports.

The other major factor is that things have changed dramatically at WDW in the last few years regarding their compliance with OSHA standards for maintenance and fall protection. Any new work done to get the Yeti operational means that they have to update the design to meet these standards, so that ongoing maintenance on the animatronic can be safely performed. This would involve major upgrades to allow compliance with fall protection and other things related to maintenance workers.

It was encouraging at least to see how much it bothered him that it didn't work. He brought up the Universal dig re: their Kong animatronic (it moves...) and said that he and his colleagues all read blogs and other social media comments for research and to pick up on things they miss in their reviews. So, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth, but this guy was no bus driver...;)"

EagleScout610

Premium Member
This was posted in the Everest Effects Status thread recently and provides what to me is the most plausible explanation of what it wrong, and has a pretty solid connection to a reliable source...

"I've been meaning to post this for quite a while, but just haven't had time. Thanks to a recent reminder from @Master Yoda to try and shed some light on the Yeti debacle....

Ok, so back in September I was at a conference at WDW, and the wife decided to book a Dine With An Imagineer lunch at DHS. I skipped one of my educational sessions to do this, and we ended up with a 2-for-1. The main imagineer was a Show Design and Production manager, who was a DWAI veteran (and most recently involved in the Frozen Ever After project); the other guy was a mechanical engineer in charge of show quality, who was a newbie-in-training, at least when it came to these dinners. He explained to us that it was his job to do periodic "reviews" of the rides, and point out areas where show quality is falling below certain standards. He's also heavily involved in maintaining ride systems and animatronics. It was a fantastic experience, and we learned a lot about how things work behind the scenes, but nearing the end of our time, I (obviously) couldn't resist bringing up the Yeti.

Immediately upon my mentioning the Yeti, I could see that it was an obvious a sore spot for him. He stated that there have been multiple proposals put forth for repairing it, but none of the "big shots" have been on board. As for the specific problem, he mentioned that there are a couple of factors: flaws in the original "design calculations" (these were his words), particularly with regard to operational and maintenance conditions on such a large animatronic, and inability to perform proper maintenance on the Yeti. No mention of "shifting/failed foundations" as is often suggested. As a practicing structural engineer, I wanted to know whether this was the problem, and he indicated that the main issue is the animatronic itself.

The other factor is the ability to perform maintenance on the animatronic. I think this is the source of rumors that they "can't replace /fix it without opening up the mountain" rumors, but it's actually much simpler, and this issue ties into the first. He specifically talked about unanticipated stresses in parts of the animatronic due to lack of maintenance in other parts. If one of the motors in the yeti's elbow wears out or isn't functioning properly, but they continue to operate under those conditions, then higher stresses are transferred to the shoulder and chest, etc. My best guess regarding his comments about "incorrect calculations" is that he was referring to fatigue related problems in the robotic parts, and possibly in other structural supports.

The other major factor is that things have changed dramatically at WDW in the last few years regarding their compliance with OSHA standards for maintenance and fall protection. Any new work done to get the Yeti operational means that they have to update the design to meet these standards, so that ongoing maintenance on the animatronic can be safely performed. This would involve major upgrades to allow compliance with fall protection and other things related to maintenance workers.

It was encouraging at least to see how much it bothered him that it didn't work. He brought up the Universal dig re: their Kong animatronic (it moves...) and said that he and his colleagues all read blogs and other social media comments for research and to pick up on things they miss in their reviews. So, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth, but this guy was no bus driver...;)"
That;s the quote I was thinking of. Thanks for posting it

Jedi Stitch

I did see a video I believe on this forum. Joe Rogan said that the size of the yeti and its motion were not factored into the stress on the structural steel. Since it was built into the rides structure, they would have to tare apart the ride to strengthen or even re do portion of the structure. It is a life goal for him, unfortunately not one for the Corp. The cost and time down are a factor. My speculation would be after all three new lands are in full swing, and the additional revolution is picked up, he might be able to talk the power that be, into fixing a very costly mistake.

Kamikaze

How long can a coaster like Everest go on without a refurb/overhaul safely wise?

The rides are constantly safety checked. It wouldn't operate without it being safe. The issues that cause refurbishments are normally not safety issues. And if they were, it wouldn't be a planned refurb, it would just go down and not come back up until the safety issue was fixed.

As an example, since 2001, California Screamin has had basically two refurbs that were a month or longer, and a few other times it closed for a couple of days for general tidying up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I did see a video I believe on this forum. Joe Rogan said that the size of the yeti and its motion were not factored into the stress on the structural steel. Since it was built into the rides structure, they would have to tare apart the ride to strengthen or even re do portion of the structure. It is a life goal for him, unfortunately not one for the Corp. The cost and time down are a factor. My speculation would be after all three new lands are in full swing, and the additional revolution is picked up, he might be able to talk the power that be, into fixing a very costly mistake.

I assume you mean Joe Rohde. He has expressed a desire to see the Yeti fixed but I do not believe he has ever said in public what the issue is. Earlier in this thread I posted what sounds like to me the most plausible description of the issue. I think if the only thing preventing the Yeti from being fixed was finding a time to do it, then it would have been done by now.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There's a lot of cracks from being worn down by the elements. The only thing I can compare it to is how it looks when your dashboard starts to crack.

When time comes to refurb the outside of the mountain it will be interesting to see how they do it. It was built with toothpick scaffolding which you really can't put back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom