Pal Mickey 2017?

Da Bird is Da Word

Original Poster
Hey guys. It's been a little over 10 years since I've been to Disney World, and I'll be visiting again this coming June! I remember the last time that we went we had this cool interactive Mickey Mouse doll that said different things depending on which part of the parks you were at. I think he was called Pal Mickey. Are there any Mickey dolls like him now that work at the parks? Or is this a forgotten thing from another time? LOL. Thanks for your replies! :p

Cmdr_Crimson

Pal Mickey was available to purchase up to 2008 and as of 2014 the functionality does not work anymore within the theme parks. So all you have now is just an expensive Mickey doll.

mf1972

i haven't seen 1 in the parks for quite awhile now. not sure if they'll work if anyone brings it in. i didn't think it was that bad. some of those jokes were so corny, you just had to laugh at them. 1 thing i enjoyed the most was how it gave a little shiver passing by the HM.

PeteNY

Short answer they still work!!
After years of my little guy asking if I will let him take my Pal Mickey with us to Disney, I said yes. We went to Disney world this week (10-19-2019). We walked in and guess what happened, it chuckeled! I was shocked, I was trying to explain to him to stand in front of the Emporium and nothing, so I moved to the side towards the fire house, and I heard that old familiar chuckel. Then we got several thought out the day, Winnie the poo, pirates, Peter pan, one in tomorrow land but we missed it. Next time he come to all 4 parks.

Animaniac93-98

After years of my little guy asking if I will let him take my Pal Mickey with us to Disney, I said yes. We went to Disney world this week (10-19-2019). We walked in and guess what happened, it chuckeled! I was shocked, I was trying to explain to him to stand in front of the Emporium and nothing, so I moved to the side towards the fire house, and I heard that old familiar chuckel. Then we got several thought out the day, Winnie the poo, pirates, Peter pan, one in tomorrow land but we missed it. Next time he come to all 4 parks.

I have the original from 2003. If you stand in the right spot will that trigger the spiel for some now closed attraction?

Figments Friend

This reminds me of the 2001 'Magical Moments' light up, interactive pins that were sold in the Parks around that time.
They were large plastic battery operated pins shaped like various Park icons that would light up and do different 'light show' patterns depending on where you were in the Park and what you were experiencing.
These were a cool little 'plus' for a few years -

They were triggered by infa-red sensors located in certain zones within Attractions and elsewhere.
Some i have suspected were pre-exsisting ride vehicle sensors, as my pin worked for many years after they had pretty much fallen by the wayside.

For example, if you watched a night Parade go by, certain Parade units would trigger off a certain light sequence in your pin.
If you rode 'Peter Pan's Flight', it would trigger one white light ( the 'first star on the right' ) to flash on and off.
'Small World' and 'El Rio De Tempo' had the craziest, best reactions ( multiple flashing light sequences in the finale rooms ).

I still have my original 'Epcot' pin from 2001, and it still would trigger off in certain Attractions many years after the 'trend' died off.
I think it was 2009/2010 was the last time i tried it out in the Parks and it still worked in the right scenes.

The big problem with the early editions of the pins was the batteries would wear down pretty fast ( expensive button cell batteries...not easy to replace ).
So i have not tried for some years.

Would be interesting to try it and see if they still work.

-

Last edited:

muddyrivers

I'm quite surprised he still worked and said anything at all. I know several years ago they removed what I had assumed were the sensors that would trigger his speech. Disney Mom's Panel answered a post just this year saying something to the same effect as well: https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...-work-parks-removed-cant-imagine-trip-402513/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom