deleted

JohnD

Not something to be proud of, but remember - people grew up in a differnt time and culture.

My grandfather, circa 1990, in EPCOT, he was about 65-70 at the time. "What are all of these foreigners doing here?"

He is also the guy who thought the music for Illuminations was too lound, so he stuck rolled up napkins in his ears.

-dave

I was watching Illuminations with my parents. At the first explosion, my father exclaimed, "Something went wrong!" A guest next to us lean over and told him, "Sir, it's supposed to do that."

NEmickeyfan

A couple that I can think of.
Two men standing by Cinderella Castle and one tells his buddy that it's made of styrofoam.
Teen girl and her family passing by American Adventure Pavillon. She asks "Is that the White House?"

Last edited:

Ralphlaw

Was in line for tower of terror and two people were on a tinder date. Both of their families were on Disney property and they decided to venture off for s tinder date.

Safe to say those conversations were interesting

What's a tinder date?

We were walking into Adventureland early last week when a mom next to us started explaining to her daughter which attractions are in this land.
She said - "the Magic Carpets, Pirates, the Jungle Cruise and the Stairs ride".
Really??!!!!!!??? Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse much??? :confused:
We used that line for the rest of the trip for anything that fit. "We're going on the Stairs ride!"
Oh my!

Calling it the "Stairs ride" probably makes it clearer and more palatable for little kids, especially those who never saw Swiss Family Robinson. I think that's cute.

A couple that I can think of.
Two men standing by Cinderella Castle and one tells his buddy that it's made of styrofoam?"

Reminds me of the Steve Wright bit about his Styrofoam home. Kids would come over and life it off the ground. Yeah, fiberglass -- Styrofoam. Tomato -- Tomoto.

Disney4family

Calling it the "Stairs ride" probably makes it clearer and more palatable for little kids, especially those who never saw Swiss Family Robinson. I think that's cute.
True if that were the situation, but it wasn't, which is why I added it to the thread where most posts have us reacting like this - :confused::eek:o_O
We enjoyed the attraction this year at night regardless of what people call it and got beautiful pictures of the castle and Space Mtn.

Ralphlaw

True if that were the situation, but it wasn't, which is why I added it to the thread where most posts have us reacting like this - :confused::eek:o_O
We enjoyed the attraction this year at night regardless of what people call it and got beautiful pictures of the castle and Space Mtn.

From here on out, I'm calling it the Stairs Ride too. It is indeed magical at night.

Ralphlaw

Ooh I've got one more.
My family was waiting in the Mission: Space preshow room and Gary Sinise was giving his spiel. He gets to the part in which he tells us about our vehicle and shows us a model of it.
Some guy pipes up from the back of the room "How are we supposed to fit into that?" in the most sarcastic voice ever.

The entire room cracked up and whenever I see that video I think of that quote.

That time at Mission Space can be used for many purposes. When they start talking about the duties of the Engineer, I pipe in with, "And you have to be good with a mop and bucket." When all the numbers start scrolling, I say, "Make sure you memorize those." And of course a comment or two about Sinise's paralyzed eyebrows is never amiss.

matt9112

what I find best and sometimes upsetting is how often people talk about Disney "news" and are so wrong or 3 weeks late. being on this forum means that happens alot. and you just want to interject but I bite my toung.

Goofyernmost

It just blows my mind how anybody can be so uninformed of where they are, If you're going to spend thousands of dollars you should at least know what you're spending it on.
One has to try and remember that not everyone is as uptight about Theme Parks as we are. I was just having this conversation with my daughter last night. When I first went to WDW it never occurred to me to research it. It was a Theme Park, big deal. You buy a ticket you go in and ride some rides see some shows and when blisters form you head back to the parking lot and go home. WDW got more complex in recent years, but, people still do not instantly think, hey I need to read up on this. It just doesn't occur to them.

The same for differentiating between Disney an Universal. There are always going to be people that don't really care enough about either one of them to have it even occur to them that the two are not the same thing. Especially since one of the Disney Parks has the word Studio in it. It's very easy to get confused. Many people don't even know the name of their State Governor. They will pay a high price because that is what they have come to expect from our entertainment venues. Most of the time they leave with the feeling that the cost doesn't define the enjoyment.

danyoung56

It just blows my mind how anybody can be so uninformed of where they are, If you're going to spend thousands of dollars you should at least know what you're spending it on.

With all due respect to Goofyernmost, I tend to lean this way, Derrit. I don't expect people to know all the ins and outs like we uber freaks do. But you'd think they'd know SOMETHING about the place they're vacationing in. I once heard a lady say to her guy as they were walking into Epcot, "Hey, that big golf ball - isn't there some kind of ride inside?"

Mind blowing.

Goofyernmost

Same folks that show up in Orlando in February, still dressed in cargo shorts and tshirts, even though the local temp is around 45.
Always have and always will. I've never worn anything but shorts and T's during all my February trips. Wait, I take that back. One day during the 100th Birthday of Walt, I had to wear a windbreaker cause the north wind was a little chilly. Otherwise, always t's and shorts. You have to remember that when I would leave Vermont in February, quite often it was 20 or more below zero. That is a 65 degree difference and it seemed quite comfortable to me. I did have to chuckle at the Mittens, Parkas and Knit Hats worn by the CM's though.

Goofyernmost

With all due respect to Goofyernmost, I tend to lean this way, Derrit. I don't expect people to know all the ins and outs like we uber freaks do. But you'd think they'd know SOMETHING about the place they're vacationing in. I once heard a lady say to her guy as they were walking into Epcot, "Hey, that big golf ball - isn't there some kind of ride inside?"

Mind blowing.
Just different thinking my friend. You don't understand why someone would assume that going to a "fun" theme park would require an inquisition before going there, and I don't see why it would ever occur to them that they would. As someone that has been going there for 34 years. I just don't see how I can assume that they would know that all that planning was required to take a simple vacation to a theme park. I know it does now, but, if I had never been or if I didn't frequent boards like this one I surely would not know. Those same people don't even know that Disney boards exist. Why would they if they really weren't obsessed yet?

I told this story before... I had a friend a few years back that I even tried to help on their first trip. Gave them videos and brochures, the works. They said they looked through it and made reservations and then made the trip. On their return, when asked how they like it, I got bombarded with how awful the place was and that they were never going back. They walked around MK and Epcot for a week and never saw anything but a lot of buildings and some kids rides (carousel and Dumbo, etc.). I asked didn't you see PoTC or Haunted Mansion... the reply was that they saw the buildings, but, that those were nothing more then gift shops like all the rest of the buildings were. What a rip-off they thought. Now granted there was a whole lot of stupid involved with that situation, but, there's a whole lot of stupid floating around in general.

They said that next year they were going on a cruise. I asked if they planned on just standing on the dock and waving to the ship as it sailed away. What idiots.

Goofyernmost

I can understand the mix ups with Hollywood Studios and Universal studios as well as understand the majority of people visiting these parks aren't super fans like us, but it's ridiculous to just go to the Magic Kingdom thinking you're going to Harry Potter. It's like going to McDonald's expecting to meet The burger king.
To you and to me that does sound like an impossible thing. However, I can tell you that it has happened. Many a person has gone to Burger King and ordered a Big Mac and many have gone to McDonalds and ordered a Whopper. It happens more often then we think. It is even easier to confuse something like Harry and Disney. That is just a movie that is a lot like something Disney would do.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I can understand the mix ups with Hollywood Studios and Universal studios as well as understand the majority of people visiting these parks aren't super fans like us, but it's ridiculous to just go to the Magic Kingdom thinking you're going to Harry Potter. It's like going to McDonald's expecting to meet The burger king.

I used to work at a Burger King, in high school quite a few years ago now, and many times a day we would get orders for Big Macs, McMuffins, and Happy Meals. People confuse these a lot because it might not be important to them. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom