Trip Report Our Wonder-ful October 2014 cruise and Magic Kingdom day

Hi all! We are back.:( But we had an incredible time and I can't wait to share it with you all!

First up, introductions! This was a kid free trip with just myself, Amy, and my husband, Brian. We were on a 5 night Castaway Cay double dip cruise on the Wonder starting October 1, followed by one day in the Magic Kingdom before flying home.
Here we are in DHS during my 40th birthday trip last November.

Wednesday, October 1
Our day started way too early when the alarm went off at 3:15 am! The fact we were going to Disney made it a little bit easier to get out of bed, but not much!! We were pulling out of our driveway by 4:25 am to make the drive to Columbus to catch our 7 am flight. We boarded our flight and pulled away from the gate right at 7 am. It was still dark on the ground, but once we were in the air we could see the sun rising.

The flight was uneventful, and before we knew it, we were on the ground in Orlando. I took a quick break to change from jeans to shorts, then we took our first ride of the trip!

Ok, so it wasn't a very exciting ride, but the kids always consider it the first ride!!
We quickly made our way to this sign:

And followed the signs until we found this one:

There was no line, so they checked us in and sent us right out to the waiting bus. It was pretty full, but we found a seat about 1/3 of the way back. Unfortunately, it had one of the "stickers" covering most of the window which made it hard to get good pictures! Our bus and the one right next to it pulled out very shortly after we boarded, which was about 9:30 am. I was able to get this pic of the other bus as it was pulling out.

It seemed like no time at all before the driver was telling us to look out the windows to see the Wonder. There she is:

I may have been bouncing in my seat like a little kid at that point!:oops:
Here is a picture of the terminal as we were pulling in:

I just love the seat fabric on the bus.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We arrived at the terminal at about 10:15 am and they let us in right away. We were quickly through security, and on our way up the escalators.

We were able to use this check in line since I had already cruised in June!

I got this pic while we were waiting in line:

I love all the details!
Check in was very quick. The CM was joking with Brian about him not having been on the cruise with us in June. They were trying to decide who had the better vacation, him without me and the kids, or us being on the cruise and at WDW even without him! She ended up giving him a silver lanyard anyway so he could match me! It was a great way to start the trip!
We were in boarding group 7.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We are actually looking to do a trip like this in the near future! Looking forward to the TR!
Thanks! You won't regret it if you take the trip!
Yay! You started your report! Following along and looking forward to more.
Thanks!
I'm so surprised they gave Brian a lanyard! They can be such sticklers about it! But yay! :)
Exciting start!
I was really surprised too! He didn't really care, as he had no plans to wear one, but nice anyway!
We just got back from our cruise so I cant wait to read about yours and see pics. We were boarding #7 as well.
It was amazing how quickly they flew through the boarding numbers!

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
So glad you guys had fun!! My hubby and I are going kid free next month too!! Cant wait to read more!!1
Thanks! I'm sure you guys will have a great trip!
Can't wait to read all about your trip! I'm anxious to see pics of the Wonder since I've only ever been on the Dream and will be on the Fantasy next month :)
There were parts of the Wonder that felt the same or similar to the Dream, and other parts that just felt totally different! I want to do the Fantasy next! You'll have to share pics with us when you get back!
Looking forward to your trip report, we want to do this itinerary too.
It was awesome! We loved the two days on Castaway Cay! We really enjoyed Key West as well.
Can't wait to read more!!
Thanks! Hopefully, I'll get more up tonight!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
The first order of business after check in was pressed pennies! At the end of our June trip, my two youngest discovered the pressed pennies, and they made me promise that we would look for some for them this trip. There were six for the cruise line. One for each of the ships, a Castaway Cay one, and a general DCL one. It really adds up fast when 3 kids want all 6 pennies!! Then we wandered around the near empty terminal for a little while.

I spied @sweetpee_1993 and @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy in the lounge area of the terminal, but I didn't want to appear stalkerish, so I just walked on by to get outside for a few pics. Unfortunately, this is apparently the smoking area, so we didn't stay outside too long.

Brian is not very good at getting selfies! He cut part of my face off and didn't even get Wonder in the picture! What am I going to do with him?:D I guess I'm just lucky he agreed to do the pic in the first place! He really was a good sport about letting me get whatever pics I wanted on this trip with a minimal amount of eye rolling!
We then mosied back in to see what characters were out for pictures. Mickey was up first.

Minnie was up next.

They were the only two we saw while we were waiting. We waited a lot longer that day than we had in June to start boarding, but we were able to find a seat easily which we were not able to in June. It was close to noon when they started the boarding process if I remember correctly. I got this pic while we were waiting, which is similar to the earlier one, but had a prettier sky in the background.

Once they started the boarding process, it went very quickly and we were soon seeing this:

We made a quick stop to get our picture taken before being welcomed onto the ship.

sweetpee_1993

I saw you when you walked outside at the terminal! I instantly recognized you! But I didn't wanna be all stalkerish either and wasn't sure what your hubs would think so I contained myself. Seriously tho, I love meeting friends. Next time just run up and hug me. I won't mind not one bit. I'll prob'ly loooove it...being all pseudo-famous and all. LOL! What am I saying, tho??? I'll be seeing ya in less than a year! Can't wait!!!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We were pretty darn hungry by that point since we hadn't eaten since 4:30 am, so we made a beeline for Beach Blanket Buffet. I did make Brian stop long enough for me to get a picture of an empty Shutters.

The walk up the stairs seemed to go so much faster than it had on the Dream! It doesn't seem like it should take that much more time and effort to go up an extra 2 flights of stairs, but it sure did seem like it at the time!

Much smaller than Cabanas on the Dream, but I liked it better because there was an actual line that you went through to get your food instead of the free for all stations at Cabanas! We went outside to eat, and it was trying to rain.:( We found a table that was mostly under cover and dug in. Here was my plate and our desserts. We enjoyed everything we ate.

Now that our bellies were full, we were finally able to explore the ship!

Love, love, love the chandelier

The bare Halloween tree:

Loved the jack o lantern faces on the portholes!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
It was amazing to me how few people were in the atrium throughout the afternoon! It seemed like it was full on the Dream every time we walked through, but it was almost always empty on the Wonder! It was kind of nice to easily be able to get pictures without other people in them!!

The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite Disney movies, so I loved all of the Ariel accents on the Wonder!

Another view of the bare Halloween tree:

A CM was standing there while I was taking these pics and asked if we would like for her to take some of the two of us. How could I say no?

A few more shots of the atrium:

Then we went out to Deck 4 for a look around.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We came back inside and checked out the hallway leading to the Walt Disney Theater. They had some cute displays!

Then another chandelier pic on the way to check out the kids clubs.

First up was the Oceaneer Club. It was themed to Peter Pan.

I loved the girls' bathroom in the club!

In general, I didn't feel that the bathrooms on the Wonder were nearly as cool as the ones on the Dream. They were nice, and looked upscale, but they didn't have the neat little extra touches, like the Mickey mirrors, that the ones on the Dream had. Definitely not a big deal, but a difference that I did notice.
Next up was the Oceaneer lab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom