Trip Report Our (mostly) Dream-y June 2014 Vacation

Hi all! We returned from our trip 5 days ago, and I'm ready to relive it through this report!

First, let me introduce myself and my family in case you aren't familiar (here is my PTR if you are interested: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/my-dream-vacation-a-june-2014-ptr.865397/)
Here we are on the last day of this trip:

Me (Amy), my 6 year old, Owen, my 11 year old, Logan, and my 9 year old, Lily. Also on this trip were my parents (Nanny and Papaw to the kids), my brother, Scott, my SIL, Beth, and my twin 4 year old nieces, Macy and Allison.

Unfortunately, my husband wasn't able to take this trip with us. I am greatly disappointed by this, as he ended up not starting the fire academy like he was supposed to! Long story short, the city of Columbus sucks! They told him that one of the 40 spots was being held for him as long as he passed all of the testing. Well, he did pass all the tests, but they said his labwork took too long getting back and they already gave all the spots to other guys. They guaranteed him a spot in the December class, but he also had to be available the first three weeks of the June academy, "just in case" someone didn't show up or dropped out. Of course, that didn't happen, so he missed the whole vacation and still won't start until December!:( The only good thing to come of this, is that my mom had me schedule a cruise in October for just me and Brian!

Ok, back to the actual trip! Let me just say that I will not be going on any more family vacations with my SIL and nieces. I will say that their time management (or lack thereof) is much different than mine, and not say anything else about it! We had a great time despite our differences!

We had a 6am flight on Wed. morning, so we drove from Dayton to Columbus Tues. night and stayed in a hotel. Here are the kids getting ready to leave our house:

We made sure to leave early enough so we could visit a few stores for the kids once we got to Columbus.

We grabbed dinner at Max and Erma's. It was about this time that my stomach started bothering me. I just assumed it was nerves (I was really nervous about making sure 9 other people had a good time on this vacation!) and being upset that Brian wasn't going with us. Well, it was more than that, and I was up sick all night!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Friday morning started really early for me! I was up, ready, and packed by 6:00am. Then I quickly got the kids up and packed the rest of their stuff. Logan, my dad, and I were heading down to the airline check-in with our luggage by 6:15. It took a lot longer this time than ever before to get checked in! I'm not sure what the problem was because we didn't even have to wait for anyone else before us. Oh well! We then headed back to the rooms to gather all of our carry-on stuff and get my brother's family moving. We all headed back down, this time for Scott and his family and my mom to check in, and for all of us to leave our carry-ons with bell services. Then we had to have a potty break before getting on the bus.:banghead: So I took some pics while we were waiting.

I thought of @sweetpee_1993 when I took this one:

Then we finally made it to the MK bus stop.

I talked to the driver when we got on and he told us not to get off at MK, he would just drop us at the Poly because the monorails weren't running yet!
Owen showing off his missing tooth!

The outside of the Poly was still beautiful!

The inside not so much! We still took lots of pics though!

They had lots of these set ups along the construction walls.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Then we made ANOTHER potty break.:banghead: Then we went outside to look around for awhile because we had some time before our ADR.

Then we checked out the gift shop before heading upstairs to check in.

We only had to sit a few minutes.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Because of all the construction, they didn't do a photo before you were seated. Instead, they had PhotoPass photographers with Stitch and they were doing family photos with him.

Apparently, I didn't take any food pics again!:oops:
The kids really enjoyed the food and the characters at this meal!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Then we ran downstairs because the lids wanted leis. Then we ran out front for one more pic.

We decided that we would catch a boat to MK. I would have preferred to get on the monorail and check out the other resorts, but no one else wanted to!:(

There may have been some hula dancing happening on the boat dock!

The kids enjoyed the boat ride.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Then it was time to go.

Honestly, I have never been so thrilled to be sitting under this sign:oops::

We really did have a great time, but I was ready to see Brian and I was kind of done with my extended family for awhile!
Lily gave me this at the airport:

I momentarily felt bad for wanting to go home so badly!:oops:
The plane ride home was uneventful. My seat mates:

The kids were thrilled to see Brian at baggage claim in Columbus. They can't wait for the 5 of us to be able to go on the Dream together. They are already arguing about who gets to ride the Aquaduck with him! And Owen informed me after seeing an Atlantis commercial that he wants to go there next time we are on the Dream! Guess we'll be planning another Dream cruise after Brian graduates from the fire academy.

Thank you all so much for sticking with me as I relived our wonderful vacation!

stevehousse

Loved it! I love reading all these reports to get me pumped for my own vacation which is still 121 days too far away! LOL glad u guys all had a blast and can't wait for the next trip u take with ur husband tagging along again this time!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Loved it! I love reading all these reports to get me pumped for my own vacation which is still 121 days too far away! LOL glad u guys all had a blast and can't wait for the next trip u take with ur husband tagging along again this time!
Thank you! Yours will be here before you know it! Have a great trip!

joan237

Amy,
Another question for you.
Your family and extended family all seem so well dressed in their cute disney outfits.
Is it best to buy right in MK or another place on site
Or do we buy from the disney store online.
Are their price differences.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Amy,
Another question for you.
Your family and extended family all seem so well dressed in their cute disney outfits.
Is it best to buy right in MK or another place on site
Or do we buy from the disney store online.
Are their price differences.
I bought most of the kids things from Etsy. If you can find things at Disneystore.com that you like, you stand a chance of getting them on sale. Doesn't happen very often in the parks. Having said that, if you see something in the parks that you like, go ahead and get it, because you may not be able to find it later online! The only shirts we bought at WDW that we were wearing were our matching shirts on our departure day that said Walt Disney World.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Great report! And I can totally understand being ready to go home. It's time for a trip with just your family!!
Thanks! It definitely is time for a trip with the 5 of us! The kids already have it all planned out! I guess I'll just have to struggle to make it through the next one with just Brian!!:D

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I got more Mickey thank you mail today! I guess because we had a 1 night stay and a 5 night stay we got two!?!
IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

dancingtodisney

WOW just read through your entire report, GREAT photos and looks like you had a fantastic trip. You have me really wanting to try a Disney Cruise too!

There is no better cure for Disney blues than planning your next trip! We're heading over in October too ;)

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
WOW just read through your entire report, GREAT photos and looks like you had a fantastic trip. You have me really wanting to try a Disney Cruise too!

There is no better cure for Disney blues than planning your next trip! We're heading over in October too ;)
Thank you! The cruise was incredible! I'm definitely recommending it to anyone who will listen to me!:D Have a great trip!!

jjbrooks567

I also just finished reading your entire trip report and I loved every bit of it! We have planned our 1st Disney cruise on the Dream for April 2015 with a visit to WDW before the cruise. I am so excited! All your pictures were great! Thank you so much for sharing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom