Pre-Trip Our First Disney Cruise....will it be "Magic"al?

Hi All! We're about 10 days away from our very first Disney cruise (on the Disney Magic if you hadn't guessed!) and I can hardly contain my excitement, so thought I would start my very first pre-trip report!
Disney cruise.png

We have been to WDW plenty of times, but have always wanted to go on a Disney Cruise. Every year we say that we're going to, but end up choosing WDW instead or a non-Disney vacation.

Our typical WDW vacations consist of myself (Chris), my husband (Brian) and our daughter (Emily) who is 14.

Brian and I on our own cruising vessel (aka our pontoon boat :hilarious:):
Brian and Chris Pontoon.jpg

Emily - the TYPICAL 14 year old teenager:
Emily 2.jpg

The three of us together (which is a rarity to have the three of us in the same photo since I'm always taking them!) on our last trip to WDW in June of 2015:
Brian Chris and Emily.jpg

This trip will be very different, not only because of the cruise, but we are also going with my husband's entire family - mother and father-in-law, two sisters and their husbands and they each have two children, so 13 total! Brian's parents are taking the entire family on this vacation to celebrate their upcoming 50th wedding anniversary:inlove:

Our cruise leaves Miami on Sunday, February 25th at 4:00 p.m., so we are flying into Miami on Saturday afternoon. A long day of travel too - we leave Madison at 6:45 a.m. (but we'll drive down to Madison Friday night since we're about an hour and 40 minutes away) and don't get into Miami until 3:00 p.m. But we do have a three hour layover in Chicago, so we'll have time to get something to eat before our flight to Miami. We are staying at the Intercontinental, Miami Saturday night so we'll be very close to the ship port even thought our boarding time isn't until 1:30 p.m. We will have time to explore Miami Saturday evening and Sunday morning before we board!

Our five night cruise stops in Grand Cayman and of course Castaway Cay. Since we don't have to plan FP's, dining reservations and which park we're going to on any given day, there isn't a whole lot we have scheduled for the five days, which seems odd not to have to plan ahead! We are choosing not to dine in any of the adult-only restaurants this trip since we'd like to experience the entire trip with the kids. We do have the Dolphin Swim and Stingray City excursion booked in Grand Cayman, so if anyone has done this - any special tips you could pass along? We are super excited for this, but I will admit, I'm not a huge fan of salt water, so it could be interesting:hilarious:!

As for Castaway Cay, a couple of us would like to run the 5k and I have read that this is something you sign up for when you board the ship? Any tips for this as well?

Any other must-do's on the ship? I did buy pirate t-shirts for Brian and I for Pirate Night (of course Emily said "no" when I asked if she wanted a t-shirt or any other pirate night gear - as I said, typical teenager!). We do have full blown pirate costumes from prior Halloween parties, but that's just too much to take along with us, so we're going subtly instead with t-shirts! Oh and I did buy pirate mouse ears from Etsy - for myself, not Brian!

So I guess that's it for now!! Any thoughts/tips/advise that anyone would e willing to give, we would be very grateful:happy:

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Thanks! We've been on two cruises in the past, but that was a loooong time ago and was not on Disney, so I'm sure there will be lots of differences! Good luck on your move to Florida:happy: We used to live in Florida many moons ago and really enjoyed living there. But family brought us back to Wisconsin;)

lostpro9het

As for Castaway Cay, a couple of us would like to run the 5k and I have read that this is something you sign up for when you board the ship? Any tips for this as well?
As soon as you get on the ship head over to guest services and sign up, not so much becasue it will sell out but becasue that is a very slow time for guest services. After you meet on the boat the morning of the race they will heard you off the ship usually before everyone else. If you plan on not going back to the ship after the race be sure to grab your towels when you get on to the pier. The CC5k will probably be the flattest run you ever do. Living in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains it seems every direction you run in is a hill so the CC5k felt like I was running down hill the whole time! They will provide water before, during, and after the run so that is covered. They do offer a bag drop location so you can bring a change of clothes so there is no need to get back on the boat if you don't want.

Any other must-do's on the ship?l
If you are sharing a stateroom with multiple people I'd highly recommend getting some passes to Senses Rainforest for the showers alone!. This will allow you to come and go as you please from their rainforest room while also getting to use their showers, which are huge and have an unlimited supply of soap and shampoo!

Don't forget you are allowed to bring on two bottles of "wine" per adult or a six pack of beer per adult.

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Thank you! We will take care of signing up as soon as we get on the ship, and that's good to know about bag drop - was wondering about that since we'll want to hit the beaches as soon as the race is finished. Sounds like the running we have in our area - all flat!!

Each family has our own stateroom - so it will be just the three of us in ours. But that is great advice - I hadn't even heard of the Senses Rainforest, so will be sure to check that out as well.

We are already deciding if we're bringing two bottles of wine per person or a six pack of beer per person - decisions, decisions:oops:

And I will definitely have to catch up on your trip reports - @blgauger wasn't kidding that you were the resident cruise pros:joyfull:

Thanks so much for your input!!

imahistorygeek

If you are sharing a stateroom with multiple people I'd highly recommend getting some passes to Senses Rainforest for the showers alone!. This will allow you to come and go as you please from their rainforest room while also getting to use their showers, which are huge and have an unlimited supply of soap and shampoo!

I believe you can use the showers without the pass. I think it's a come and go as you please type of thing, but I would double-check. We've always had passes, so it's not been something we needed to ask about.

We have a 15 year old daughter. She's your typical teenager. We found that just letting her do her own thing (she ate dinners with us) was for the best. We took full advantage of the adult areas. There's plenty for her to do.

One thing I recommend is snorkeling at Castway Cay. If you already have your own snorkel gear, you can use it. You can use a Disney life vest at no charge. You can also rent snorkel gear from Disney. I think it's in the $30s price wise, but @lostpro9het can confirm. We saw so many fish, a stingray or two, and a sea turtle. It was a lot of fun AND our daughter loved it.

Last edited:

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Thanks for the updated info. This really might come in handy when we're all trying to get ready for dinner with only one shower. Definitely going to look at this when we arrive.

Our daughter has already told us see you at the end of the trip LOL! She's very much looking forward to exploring the ship (she will have a cousin along who is the same age, so that will help too) without mom and dad by her side. Looking forward to hearing about her adventures when we're not with her.

Our daughter has mentioned she wants to try snorkeling, so this is a great recommendation. Trying to pack as much stuff in as possible on this trip as who knows when we'll be able to take another cruise!

Thank you again for all of the tips - appreciate it!

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
I'm so excited for you! I can't offer any advice since I have never been on a cruise (Disney or otherwise) but I can't wait to hear all about it :)
Thank you - can't believe it's almost here! It was an interesting weekend, this past weekend so am definitely looking forward to getting away for a week!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom