Our Dream Vaca Trip Report!

Hi All!

My DH and I spend 9 days of wonderfulness at the World, staying at the Grand Floridian. We have a lot to celebrate this year - my DH's bday was the 7th of June - we'll be celebrating our 5th year Anniversary this year - we honeymooned at the World with a few magical days at the Grand Floridian so going back was like a 2nd honeymoon - and like everyone dealing with so much b/c of the economy and just life, we were rejoicing that we have gotten through so much together. We really wanted to "do it up" this trip - we decided to endulge after we took advantage of the buy 4 get 3 free deal. (On a personal note, we'll be moving this year and trying to start a family again and it could be pricey and we might even adopt, so we may not have the opportunity or the extra moola to take a trip like this again for a very very long time.) We upgraded to Deluxe Dining to take advantage of some Signature Dining experiences, and we made ressies for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. We had the Park Hopper tickets for the entire length of our stay. So here it is ... Our trip report!!!

Our intenion was to head out by 5 a.m. on Saturday June 6th. We are 5 hours away, from our door to the door of the Magic Kingdom! And our plan was on day one to stay at the resort and take advantage of it. We were delayed by an hour b/c it was pouring!! And we had to pack the car and I didn't want everything...and us...soaked! We ended up leaving about 6:30 a.m. For the trip, we usually watch Disney movies, but this time, we downloaded some Disney Podcasts and that was a really fun way to kill time on our way down. The drive was easy - 95 was good for change! ha ha and just before we pulled into the World, my DH started playing Disney tunes from my ipod. I was already fighting back tears just by seeing the big sign welcoming us to Walt Disney World, but as we pulled into the Grand Floridian, he sent me over the emotional edge by playing Steve Tyrell's "When You Wish Upon a Star", and the tears started then!! While my husband parked the car (TIP: we alwasy self park. The bell hops have to take the luggage for you but we save like $10/day by parking our self), I snapped some pics of the front of our "home" for the next week!

IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

We checked in and we were told that our room wasn't going to be ready for a while and they have this text message service so that you can do what you want to do and they will text you when the room is ready. You already have your Keys to the Kingdom cards so we headed to lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. We did not have an ADR and were able to walk right in. (TIP: If you want to grab a meal that is at a resort, but easy to access the MK still b/c on the monorail, then head here if you do not have ADR's. Easy to walk in and great food). The food was amazing! French Onion Soup, the Cobb Salad and Lemon Cheese cake! YUMMY!! It was absolutely storming like mad outside so we were not able to use the pool like we had originally hoped. So we hit the shops! I got a new camera case and we got some bath supplies at the White Basin and we got the text that our room is ready. This is where things didn't go as perfectly as I had hopped as I referenced in a previous post, but in the end, we were upgraded to a concerige room in building 6, Sugar Loaf. It was a king bedroom on the first floor and it was huge in comparrison to the room they previously gave us on room 5. This is the view from our building. (TIP: if staying at the GF, although the best views are from higher floors, some of the higher floor rooms are "dormer" rooms so the ceiling is lower and they are smaller. Also, building 6 is great location - easy to get to main building and the quiet pool.)

IMG_3284.JPG

We would have seen this out our balcony but there is a privacy fence so you can sit on your balcony with more privacy from the pool.

And here's our first Mickey to welcome us to our new room!

IMG_3288.JPG

We unpacked and did some more exploring of the resort since it had stopped raining for a bit.

IMG_3294.JPG

The beach area:

IMG_3295.JPG

The fun pool!

IMG_3296.JPG

The water slide at the fun pool:

IMG_3299.JPG

You can watch the monorails go by when at the fun pool!

IMG_3301.JPG

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
:sohappy::sohappy: I'm excited for this trip report. Very detailed and GREAT photos so far. Can't wait to see more :wave:

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Original Poster
Some great pics of the GF:

IMG_3304.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

The castle view from Gaspirella Grill:

IMG_3307.JPG

We headed back in b/c it started to rain again and the band had not started yet for the day.

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

Of all the times that I have been in the GF ... I never looked up!

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

We headed back to the room and I finished unpacking and we got ready for dinner at the California Grill!! We were celebrating this meal as my DH's bday even though his bday was really on the 7th. So I surprised him with some Champagne before we left for dinner.

IMG_3321.JPG

Neither my DH or I had ever been there before so we were both very excited. We had 8:10 ADR's but headed over about an hour early so that we could grab a drink. Since we had checked in early, an amazing table was available that they suggested we take this one now, rather then wait an hour for another one.

IMG_3333.JPG

They weren't kidding! This was the view from our table!

IMG_3330.JPG

We both had the same meal - we got the filet! OH MY HEAVENS! This was one of the best meals I have ever had!!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
The food was amazing!!

I got the salad with frest peaches!

IMG_3342.JPG

My DH got the onion flat bread which he wasn't thrilled with - it was a bit "mushy".

The filet was DEVINE! If you have not had the experience of dining here, I highly recommend you do it. This one of the best meals that we have ever had!!!

I had another surprise for the bday boy and we had a cake delivered to the table! (TIP: The cake hotline was amazing! I would totally do this again! Not only was the cake perfect and delicious and oh so cute! It was exactly what I ordered and having that surprise, makes the meal so much fun! And we munched on cake for a whole week!!)

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

The waiter was super fast and I did not have a chance to grab a full pic of the cake but you can see that it was a cute Mickey and Happy Birthday Niles! And YUMMY!!

We were so full and tired from leaving so early in the a.m. (I had been up since 4 since we were planning on leaving earlier) that we opted not to wait for another hours until Wishes started.

What a great Day 1!!

IMG_3355.JPG

TxNewsies

The cake looks awesome! So you would recommend the cake hotline? I've been debating about whether or not to surprise my DH with a cake for his birthday while we are there but was unsure.

GF looks gorgeous!! Love the pics!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
The cake looks awesome! So you would recommend the cake hotline? I've been debating about whether or not to surprise my DH with a cake for his birthday while we are there but was unsure.

GF looks gorgeous!! Love the pics!

Yes, would do the cake again for sure!! They were so nice and helpful! :sohappy:

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Great report so far friend!! Can't wait to read your other posts!:sohappy:
You and DH look so cute and happy!

Hello my friend! I can't believe we are back and it's been a week already! I finished all the Trip Reports! It was fun going through all the pics!!!! We love at the World so much! You know we are trying to get jobs there now! ha ha! We can't get enough!!! It's so hard to get a job there though but we'll see!!! Enjoy the rest of the trip reports!! :wave:

:sohappy: Hurray for you guys!! So happy you had such a wonderful start to your trip. The GF looks amazing, I think we'll try it for our upcoming trip in Sept.!!(to eat!!)

DizneyPryncess

Your trip report is awesome! So happy to see the cake pictures since we talked about our cakes for so long. It turned out amazing! Great pictures of everything actually, and so glad you had a wonderful trip. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom