Otter exhibit refurbishment

Soarin' Over Pgh

I don't think the old Tapir exhibit met current AZA standards for them. I think that's partly why they haven't acquired a new one. The birds are nice but something else would be a better fit for that exhibit.

Red Pandas, Langurs etc

My local zoo got a red panda last year and he's become quite the highlight of a trip to the zoo. The younger kids- and even the adults- love watching him pace back and forth between his outdoor exhibit and his indoor (with clear glass so you can see) den. He has a lot of character!

Not to mention absolutely adorable. :)

The Duck

I'd love to see Red Pandas in the old Tapir exhibit as well.
Central Florida may be a little warm for red pandas. Some babirusas (SE Asian wild pig) might be a good choice for that exhibit.
Audubon Zoo 1-21-10 049.jpg

The Duck

They've got them in the Oasis.
I know but why couldn't they move them to MJT and free up that area for something else? (Assuming that The Oasis is still around a couple of years from now). Is there still talk about tearing it up to make room for the night time show?

RSoxNo1

I know but why couldn't they move them to MJT and free up that area for something else? (Assuming that The Oasis is still around a couple of years from now). Is there still talk about tearing it up to make room for the night time show?
It would be Discovery Island's Trails and the Tree of Life exhibits that would be on the chopping block.

startraveler

Can anyone else verify? Also are there multiple? I thought they only had one Komodo Dragon the last time.

We heard on a tour that they had two, but they couldn't display them both at the same time. They would hurt each other. They may have been down to one recently.

Last edited:

WendyTinkerbell

Any word on whether the otters are back on exhibit?

Also, I would expect Animal Kingdom to acquire many animals this year as they, The Living Seas and Sea World are hosting the AZA Conference this year in September.

Kman101

Yay! Glad to see them back. Only took a year (almost to the day!). Gave the Flame Tree Gazebo a run for it's money ;)

Kman101

Do you know the open/close dates of the refurb?

Not exact dates. I know it was around April 11th of last year that I could find a photo update for that shows walls closed and that it had walls "for a few weeks" (prior to April 11th). I'm guessing around March. It's been at least a year. Maybe not 'to the date' lol (technically over a year)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom