OS: Fire department serving Disney in talks to drop special operations

Should RCES Have a Special Operations Team as Described Above?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jensenrick

I think RCID is true genius on Walt Disney's part, and I think to be fair, it demonstrates that a private company can actually do a better job at running a city than many more traditional durisdictions.

I'm certain the challenges of running WDW are very different to another similar sized parcel of land with a similar number of people, but in terms of the overall layout, road standard, building standard and transportation systems, the place functions on a higher level than many government run cities.

I know it's apples to oranges, but if Disney ran the whole world it may not be worse.

Yes, it's very much apples to oranges, or possibly apples to oysters, as it's not a city, it's a tourist attraction.
The idea that private companies can "run a city" better than a duly elected government is absurd.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Yes, it's very much apples to oranges, or possibly apples to oysters, as it's not a city, it's a tourist attraction.
The idea that private companies can "run a city" better than a duly elected government is absurd.

What do you mean, its not a city? You have 150,000 people on property at any given moment. You have all the infrastructure problems (traffic) a city has and requires the same services a city needs (water/power/sewer/fire/police).

lazyboy97o

What do you mean, its not a city? You have 150,000 people on property at any given moment. You have all the infrastructure problems (traffic) a city has and requires the same services a city needs (water/power/sewer/fire/police).
There is no urban center. Walt Disney World is a county with suburban sprawl, not a genuine urban environment. There is also only one property owner and one stake holder.

IMFearless

I disagree, I think that while WDW has noteable differences to more typical cities, I believe that the precision with which they manage the setting could teach a lot to many public governments.

Just as an example...
Look at the fiasco we have going on with the channel tunnel at Calais at the moment. Total chaos, bureaucracy, red tape, politicians not taking responsibility for the situation, multi levels of management and various departments blindly following badly designed protocols, with little to no interagency cooperation. The word "farce" would not be an understatement.

I would imagine that the management structure at WDW would indeed be able to take ownership and do a better job of managing this situation, if they were magically put in charge of it for the next month.

At the same time, I would doubt if our Prime Minister could supervise the smooth running of Main Street Electrical Parade as well as Disney.

While the way Disney is run is obviously different to more typical governmental regimes I do think they do a great job. I am not suggesting we replace duly elected democratic leadership, I am only suggesting that many government departments could perhaps learn from the way Disney do things. That's not absurd, there's a lot of very good practice going on at WDW.

lazyboy97o

I disagree, I think that while WDW has noteable differences to more typical cities, I believe that the precision with which they manage the setting could teach a lot to many public governments.

Just as an example...
Look at the fiasco we have going on with the channel tunnel at Calais at the moment. Total chaos, bureaucracy, red tape, politicians not taking responsibility for the situation, multi levels of management and various departments blindly following badly designed protocols, with little to no interagency cooperation. The word "farce" would not be an understatement.

I would imagine that the management structure at WDW would indeed be able to take ownership and do a better job of managing this situation, if they were magically put in charge of it for the next month.

At the same time, I would doubt if our Prime Minister could supervise the smooth running of Main Street Electrical Parade as well as Disney.

While the way Disney is run is obviously different to more typical governmental regimes I do think they do a great job. I am not suggesting we replace duly elected democratic leadership, I am only suggesting that many government departments could perhaps learn from the way Disney do things. That's not absurd, there's a lot of very good practice going on at WDW.
Disney controls the Reedy Creek Improvement District, but it is not the same as Walt Disney World's management and operations. The Improvement District runs so smoothly because there is only one voice they must consider. Disney themselves however are very much a bureaucracy that is plagued by indecision, a lack of strong leadership, competing interests and cost overruns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom