OS: Fire department serving Disney in talks to drop special operations

Should RCES Have a Special Operations Team as Described Above?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Another example of things being all about the money at Disney. In this case, its public safety.

From the Sentinel....

The government agency providing fire-rescue service to Walt Disney World has proposed disbanding its special operations and response team, whose members get specialized training on complicated jobs such as rescues from collapsed buildings and detection of chemical agents.

The proposal is a point of contention in contract negotiations between Reedy Creek and the union representing its firefighters. Fire-rescue personnel have worked without a contract since January, when the last one expired.

"They're going to take away that training from these people and not have them certified anymore," said Tim Stromsnes, president of the Reedy Creek Fire Fighters Association Local 2117. "I think it's a disservice to the guest … for us not to have that team."

Reedy Creek is a public agency similar to a county government. It is controlled by Walt Disney World, which owns most of the land within the district and is by far its largest taxpayer.

District Administrator Bill Warren said there has been "minimal need for the program to respond and so we're taking a hard look at it." Disney had no comment.

Reedy Creek created its special operations team – known as SOAR – after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. On its Web site, Reedy Creek said it created the team "to establish a timely response for detection and mitigation of hazardous situations without relying on, or depleting our neighbor's resources." Incidents the group has responded to include a chemical reaction in a hotel kitchen, fuel spills, and the rescue of a worker from a hotel under construction.

The 45 members of the special operations team would perform regular fire-rescue duties just as they do now. They would no longer be paid an extra dollar an hour and the higher-level continuing education would no longer be provided.

The department said it would save hundreds of thousands of dollars annually by disbanding the team. Those savings would be poured into more advanced training for its general emergency force — though not at the in-depth "tech" level of the special operations team.

"The cost of the program is not the driving force here," Warren said. "It's the delivery of the highest qualified team and the county clearly has that."

Disbanding Reedy Creek's team would mean relying more heavily on Orange County firefighters for unusual situations. Reedy Creek already has a mutual aid agreement with Orange County.

Orange County's fire-rescue department has had a special operations team since 1989 that provides services to local cities as well as unincorporated areas. "If we're needed, we'll be there" for Reedy Creek, spokeswoman Kat Kennedy said.

Stromsnes argues that because Disney World is so high-profile and attracts so many visitors, it warrants having its own specialized force that could quickly respond to a catastrophe.

Reedy Creek's team would no longer be able to lead a rescue operation if a building were to collapse. It also would not be able to handle hazardous chemicals.

Though the special operations team gets advanced training for rescues from high buildings, Reedy Creek says its firefighters can still handle many of those calls.

The union and Reedy Creek are also in disagreement over pay and insurance benefits. Reedy Creek has proposed an average 3 percent pay increase and paying 3 percent more in insurance costs.

The union also wants access to body scans as part of its annual physicals. Reedy Creek says it is investigating that cost.

Rutt

Im confused by this, the government agency running this is trying to disband it? Is Disney the government? Not sure I'm reading this right? NM, the RC government runs it Im guessing

kap91

It is worth noting that Reedy Creek often works against Disney's desires (requiring a very tough permit process for example) so it's not clear whether this is Disney wanting to save a few bucks or more a typical labor dispute.

GrumpyFan

I don't see a problem with them dropping this. It's a "nice to have" feature that seemed like a good thing at the time, but now, in the wake of such events, where there hasn't been a specific incident (thankfully) at WDW or elsewhere really, in which they were called upon to have this sort of training, I'm not sure it makes sense. Now, that's not to say that I don't think they need at least a couple of people on staff who have this training/certification current, but a whole team, no, just doesn't make sense.

For me, it's like having snow removal equipment for Texas road crews in Houston. They might need a couple of plows they can use once every 10-15 years, but it doesn't make sense to have any more than that.

invader

I don't see a problem with them dropping this. It's a "nice to have" feature that seemed like a good thing at the time, but now, in the wake of such events, where there hasn't been a specific incident (thankfully) at WDW or elsewhere really, in which they were called upon to have this sort of training, I'm not sure it makes sense. Now, that's not to say that I don't think they need at least a couple of people on staff who have this training/certification current, but a whole team, no, just doesn't make sense.

For me, it's like having snow removal equipment for Texas road crews in Houston. They might need a couple of plows they can use once every 10-15 years, but it doesn't make sense to have any more than that.
If you haven't had a claim on your insurance why pay for it, right?

GrumpyFan

I would be curious to know what the ratio is of firefighters who have this certification level in major metro areas.
Anybody know how to find that?

The county I live in here in Texas (just north of Houston), has a population of nearly 500,000 and we have 2 "special operations teams" in our fire department. I'm not sure how many firefighters that means though.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Disney has always had a hand in crafting fire safety codes and being on the cutting edge. Bay Lake City Manager and Board of Supervisors member Tom Moses passed away last week.

From the National Fire Protection Association
  • Mr. Moses came to RCID in 1969 as construction on the Magic Kingdom was getting underway. My favorite story from Mr. Moses was that he wasn’t quite sure what was in mind for the massive plots of land in central Florida that Disney had purchased. He was a healthy skeptic - and it took the convincing of none other than Roy Disney (Walt Disney’s older brother) to convince Tom to come on board and have a say in what was about to transpire. Not only did he have a voice in these discussions, he helped set the policy, culture and tone that is still a hallmark and sets a high bar for safety at WDW.

In his role with the District in those early days, Mr. Moses oversaw innovations that are a bit more main stream today. Among those ideals were the absolute importance of putting automatic sprinkler systems into every building - no matter the size. He was overseeing performance based design before we had a name for it. He was managing cutting edge modular design and construction techniques that were used at the Contemporary Resort. In short, he embraced the innovative spirit that Disney had in 1969 with a focus on safety- something that continues in 2015

Disney has always been at the forefront and at the cutting edge of fire safety. To see them reduce their capacity during a time of enormous growth and continued occupancy levels makes no sense. The RCID has approx. 120,000-150,000 people on site at any given moment, just like a small city. They need this technical expertise and capability. Disney is going to continue to grow and to ignore specialized complex safety is IMO rather asinine.

lazyboy97o

Disney has always been at the forefront and at the cutting edge of fire safety. To see them reduce their capacity during a time of enormous growth and continued occupancy levels makes no sense. The RCID has approx. 120,000-150,000 people on site at any given moment, just like a small city. They need this technical expertise and capability. Disney is going to continue to grow and to ignore specialized complex safety is IMO rather asinine.
So then you should have no problem giving specific reasons as to why this team is a necessity.

danv3

Is there any reason why using Orange County's special operations unit would be insufficient? For example, not timely enough? If not, then seems OK for Disney to drop this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom