Orlando Attractions Magazine: Something coming to Central FL?

td1129

I'll also say that I have two young boys, so my perspective could be very different than yours. Of course I get excited about things like a Cars resort, interactive queues, phineas and furb, keys to the magic kingdom, storybook circus, fantasyland forest, etc.

If I was ten years younger I'd probably be ticked we don't have a new Harry Potter ride.

td1129

So your message count is 70....and you spent about 10 of those today - not engaging in actual debate or discussion - just kind of whining and being snarky to the people who see things realistically - and not the perfection that you Disney as?

I'm sure you're equipped to lecture me about reality.

Lee

Adventurer
Knowledge can be a powerful thing. Sometimes knowing too much about both sides isn't a good thing.
Yes. It can be a burden..
Rest assured I'll still get all tingly when I turn the corner of Town Sq and head north In a few months.
Actually, he claps his hands and squeals like a little girl. There is even sometimes skipping involved...but you didn't hear it from me...

;-)

menamechris

Well, if there was ever a park that needed a Star Wars mini-land...it would be DHS. No?

It would amazing if something like that ever came to DHS. I have to tip my hat to Legoland though. They have really taken on a lot of new things in the first year (?) of being open. They seem to be anxious to grow and keep their guests happy and impressed...

Lee

Adventurer
I'll also say that I have two young boys, so my perspective could be very different than yours. Of course I get excited about things like a Cars resort, interactive queues, phineas and furb, keys to the magic kingdom, storybook circus, fantasyland forest, etc.

If I was ten years younger I'd probably be ticked we don't have a new Harry Potter ride.
Yes. Kids, or as in my case a lack thereof, would tend to skew one's viewpoint a bit. Same with age and experience.
All of us are looking at the same thing, but through our own unique, personal filters.

djkidkaz

So your message count is 70....and you spent about 10 of those today - not engaging in actual debate or discussion - just kind of whining and being snarky to the people who see things realistically - and not the perfection that you Disney as?

Why is the person who sees the negatives considered the person who sees things "realistically" and the person who sees all the positives is not being realistic? It works both ways.

Next Big Thing

Whoa - you are excited easily. A very nicely themed area with a couple D-tickets and a pricey restaurant. And an expansion proposal that we haven't seen any plans or ideas for a year after the announcement.

Meanwhile - over at Universal...groundbreaking ride technology being implemented, incredibly immersive areas being built, average attractions be replaced, already incredible attractions being "plussed" with the best of today's technology, and construction is already beginning on projects we aren't even privy to details about yet. THAT is exciting.

Today's Universal - Start work, get projects rolling, then announce what's happening.
Today's Disney - Announce projects, feel out how excited people do or don't get, then scale back or cancel as necessary.

It's not anti-Disney. It's just two jarringly different ways to do business and grow (or retain) a fanbase.
Exactly. If anything, Comcast is running these parks the most like Walt did back in the early days more than any company ever has since, with money really not being too much of an issue. They know they are going to make boatloads from Potter and in fact they HAVE to build this attraction on SS44 bc of left over money from Potter or it goes away in taxes (hence the rush). That's pretty much unheard of and goes to show how well Universal is running their theme parks right now.

lazyboy97o

Talk about building up excitement over much of nothing. It's not like we're talking Star Wars attractions or themed land. It's models based on the Star Wars universe. Miniland is the section of a Legoland park with the models, typically of famous buildings.

WDW1974

You are right it is two different ways to do business, and while I do not necessarily like the way Disney has been handling the parks lately...I also think we have to remember they are two different target audiences, which I think some of the Disney fans on this site forget...we are not and have never been universal...we have a great family park, where families can enjoy making memories together. Uni is a great park, but it is not family friendly, a lot of the rides are rides that young children would not really enjoy. I want to see Disney up it's game, but I do not want to see us just add "e" ticket trill rides just to satisfy some people that you need to be twelve or older to go on.

Yes. I might make an argument that UNI is going after an audience with the ability to discern the difference between quality and marketing MAGIC and hype.

While UNI may have more 'thrill' attractions as a component vs. Disney, I'll also point out that is vastly overstated position. Look at TPFKaTD-MGMS, if you don't like any thrills you just eliminated the top three reasons to visit the park (ToT, RnRC, ST).

Unfortunately, Disney has also gone the other way of late in dumbing its product down to the point where everything must be acceptable to a particularly impressionable six-year-old. So, much of what is being done is simply not going to be enjoyable for teens and adults without young children.

I see more of a danger in what Disney is doing myself.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes. I might make an argument that UNI is going after an audience with the ability to discern the difference between quality and marketing MAGIC and hype.

While UNI may have more 'thrill' attractions as a component vs. Disney, I'll also point out that is vastly overstated position. Look at TPFKaTD-MGMS, if you don't like any thrills you just eliminated the top three reasons to visit the park (ToT, RnRC, ST).

Unfortunately, Disney has also gone the other way of late in dumbing its product down to the point where everything must be acceptable to a particularly impressionable six-year-old. So, much of what is being done is simply not going to be enjoyable for teens and adults without young children.

I see more of a danger in what Disney is doing myself.
We have been having that very discussion in a couple of other threads as well.

WDW1974

Again, you're letting this site blind you. The amount of work going on at WDW right now is staggering, from next gen, hundred million dollar expansions, new resorts, new restaurants, etc.

I think you need to step back and allow a dose of realism through. The amount of money being spent at WDW may be staggering, on that point you'll get no disagreement from me, but take a look at what it's being spent on.

You tout NEXT GEN because being involved in fan communities on the 'net have you believing that this is some major improvement in vacationing akin to actual attractions (like UNI and SW are building and Disney is building in Anaheim and overseas) when the people who work at WDW are well into Year Three of the initiative and can't really describe it. And it isn't because it is veiled in secrecy. It's because it covers so many things from new ways of using FastPass to datamining guests to back of the house things like tagging costumes. Those aren't the type of things that will drive folks to plan $7,000 MAGical WDW vacations. NEXT GEN is simply a non-starter in any legit fan discussion on the merits of WDW because it has meant nothing to folks visiting and when it starts to, it likely will be in ways that many people won't like and many others won't even be able to take part in.

There's only one 'expansion' going on at WDW ... the relatively modest Fantasyland project. And let's again not let Disney PR spin change the fact that there is very little expansion actually taking place. replacing lost capacity with new capacity that doesn't result in a net gain isn't really expanding ... taking one land away and expanding another into its footprint isn't expanding either.

As to the new resorts and new restaurants, while those things may be good or bad (I'd argue that the resorts are bad because they inflate the inventory and often result in massive discounting to fill and in some cases, like GF DVC, simply put stress on an existing resort and lower its overall quality in a quick money grab for TDO), they aren't part of a discussion about the parks largely (yes, I suppose you could tout EPCOT's recent dining additions as a reason to visit ... but I tend to not eat $30 Mexican entrees or $50 pizzas in the real world and see no reason to do so at EPCOT).

If there were no parks, then there would be no reason for new hotels and timeshares. So I think to call them an attraction is weak (not saying you said it, just that people do) unless you own DVC and have to visit because you're tied to the Mouse.

This site likes to forget about all of it because there's no new thrill rides. This is why every thread here devolves into an anti Disney back patting party. You yourself just praised Universal for an unannounced expansion while completely ignoring an announced $500 million project at Disney. It's nothing new though. That's what this forum is all about. Unfortunately, it's also the best site by ten miles for the latest news and rumors. That's why I stick around, but it truly is obvious to see by anyone who isn't part of this culture of negativity.

I don't think thrill rides have anything to do with it. I think the fact WDW has four stale and neglected parks might be. The fact that a WDW visit four years ago and one today would give you the exact same experiences largely ... or that a visit in 2005 and now would largely be the exact same one ...

What UNI does or doesn't do is only used as a comparison for what Disney does or doesn't do. I think you are attempting to talk about Avatar, something that was announced nine months ago and we still have no details on. WDI and Cameron have been going back and forth in very contentious discussions that have delayed the project and for a while in the spring, it looked like it might not even happen. The earliest we will see anything is now 2017. That is FIVE years from now. The modest, by comparison, Fantasyland project is taking FOUR years to complete. Four years for a C/D Ticket clone from DCA, a kiddie coaster, doubling Dumbo, turning old meet and greets into new nicer ones and adding a new food facility, along with some area freshening and reskinning.

THAT is why you see negativity. Because UNI is doing better in O-Town ... and Disney can and is doing better all around the globe. That's what some fans here refuse to acknowledge. They can't handle the facts, so they get negative about negativity, which seems to me to be a very dumb way to spend time they won't get back at the end.

WDW1974

Marni, I caught that before you deleted it. Bro, take a step back and look at how bitter and negative you've become.
I would love to see that.

Actually, I'd rather see what Martin posted originally ... the man is always honest (to a fault, one might say) and knows far more than most here regarding what happens at WDW and, more importantly, why.

If he's bitter and negative, then he has reason ... I'm sure finally seeing DL a year and a half ago might have helped that along. The fact he sees UNI and appreciates what they do and are doing might also have contributed.

WDW1974

Yes. It can be a burden..

Having to tell folks they are worshipping a false god always is.

Actually, he claps his hands and squeals like a little girl. There is even sometimes skipping involved...but you didn't hear it from me...

;-)

True, but he doesn't have your amazing singing voice. DD told me she heard you singing 'Listen to the Land' while you were out landscaping yesterday!:D

GenerationX

I agree. Knowledge can be a powerful thing. Sometimes knowing too much about both sides isn't a good thing.
Yes. It can be a burden...
Are you making the point that:
1. You know the internals of the company, see the inefficiencies, and have to rationalize why you still work there; and/or
2. You find discussing the company difficult to do in a public forum, because you're constantly having to edit yourself so that you don't get in trouble at work.

Either one is valid. I think most of us have lived through #1 (I have found most companies succeed despite themselves). I think those of us without insider knowledge can see why #2 would be difficult for you. Random discussions can raise topics that you have non-public information about, and you have to constantly watch yourself.

Lee

Adventurer
Are you making the point that:
1. You know the internals of the company, see the inefficiencies, and have to rationalize why you still work there; and/or
2. You find discussing the company difficult to do in a public forum, because you're constantly having to edit yourself so that you don't get in trouble at work.

Either one is valid. I think most of us have lived through #1 (I have found most companies succeed despite themselves). I think those of us without insider knowledge can see why #2 would be difficult for you. Random discussions can raise topics that you have non-public information about, and you have to constantly watch yourself.
If I may speak for B'rer Martin...
Neither of us work for the company, but are both "fortunate" to be privy to "inside" information. This includes both the good and the bad. Sometimes it's better to not see behind the curtain, to see the often unpleasant inner workings of the company.

It's like they say about sausage. It's good to eat, but you really don't want to know how it's made.

td1129

I think you need to step back and allow a dose of realism through. The amount of money being spent at WDW may be staggering, on that point you'll get no disagreement from me, but take a look at what it's being spent on.

You tout NEXT GEN because being involved in fan communities on the 'net have you believing that this is some major improvement in vacationing akin to actual attractions (like UNI and SW are building and Disney is building in Anaheim and overseas) when the people who work at WDW are well into Year Three of the initiative and can't really describe it. And it isn't because it is veiled in secrecy. It's because it covers so many things from new ways of using FastPass to datamining guests to back of the house things like tagging costumes. Those aren't the type of things that will drive folks to plan $7,000 MAGical WDW vacations. NEXT GEN is simply a non-starter in any legit fan discussion on the merits of WDW because it has meant nothing to folks visiting and when it starts to, it likely will be in ways that many people won't like and many others won't even be able to take part in.

There's only one 'expansion' going on at WDW ... the relatively modest Fantasyland project. And let's again not let Disney PR spin change the fact that there is very little expansion actually taking place. replacing lost capacity with new capacity that doesn't result in a net gain isn't really expanding ... taking one land away and expanding another into its footprint isn't expanding either.

As to the new resorts and new restaurants, while those things may be good or bad (I'd argue that the resorts are bad because they inflate the inventory and often result in massive discounting to fill and in some cases, like GF DVC, simply put stress on an existing resort and lower its overall quality in a quick money grab for TDO), they aren't part of a discussion about the parks largely (yes, I suppose you could tout EPCOT's recent dining additions as a reason to visit ... but I tend to not eat $30 Mexican entrees or $50 pizzas in the real world and see no reason to do so at EPCOT).

If there were no parks, then there would be no reason for new hotels and timeshares. So I think to call them an attraction is weak (not saying you said it, just that people do) unless you own DVC and have to visit because you're tied to the Mouse.

I don't think thrill rides have anything to do with it. I think the fact WDW has four stale and neglected parks might be. The fact that a WDW visit four years ago and one today would give you the exact same experiences largely ... or that a visit in 2005 and now would largely be the exact same one ...

What UNI does or doesn't do is only used as a comparison for what Disney does or doesn't do. I think you are attempting to talk about Avatar, something that was announced nine months ago and we still have no details on. WDI and Cameron have been going back and forth in very contentious discussions that have delayed the project and for a while in the spring, it looked like it might not even happen. The earliest we will see anything is now 2017. That is FIVE years from now. The modest, by comparison, Fantasyland project is taking FOUR years to complete. Four years for a C/D Ticket clone from DCA, a kiddie coaster, doubling Dumbo, turning old meet and greets into new nicer ones and adding a new food facility, along with some area freshening and reskinning.

THAT is why you see negativity. Because UNI is doing better in O-Town ... and Disney can and is doing better all around the globe. That's what some fans here refuse to acknowledge. They can't handle the facts, so they get negative about negativity, which seems to me to be a very dumb way to spend time they won't get back at the end.

Sorry, did not read. Got about three sentences in. You are blinded by the groupthink of this site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom