Original Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

lazyboy97o

And your point would be? You're saying than many ideas are reviewed before the actual decision is made? So am I! Just because that picture has shown up on the internet does not in any way mean that it was ever seriously considered. In fact, the only thing that was positively, totally and completely considered is what we have. Nothing more, nothing less.
No, I am saying you again are demonstrating your clear lack of understanding and knowledge of the design process. Much of Disney's published art is based on a chosen, developed design. It is not all from Blue Sky or concept development.

Goofyernmost

No, I am saying you again are demonstrating your clear lack of understanding and knowledge of the design process. Much of Disney's published art is based on a chosen, developed design. It is not all from Blue Sky or concept development.
So anything that is chosen was found someplace in a cave totally developed and once seen automatically becomes the way they will go. Then all other ideas are brought in through scribbles on a sticky note and promptly thrown in the trash. Then once they have chosen the developed design they proceed to take out their school scissors and cut it to ribbons to fit in the budget? That drawing was indeed nice, but, never honestly had a chance of being chosen. That much I have a clear understanding off. You apparently don't, but, thanks for setting me straight.

lazyboy97o

So anything that is chosen was found someplace in a cave totally developed and once seen automatically becomes the way they will go. Then all other ideas are brought in through scribbles on a sticky note and promptly thrown in the trash. Then once they have chosen the developed design they proceed to take out their school scissors and cut it to ribbons to fit in the budget? That drawing was indeed nice, but, never honestly had a chance of being chosen. That much I have a clear understanding off. You apparently don't, but, thanks for setting me straight.
You honestly think paintings and renderings can't come after a design has been developed? Case in point, much of the Disney Springs images come directly from the blueprints.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So time and money spent designing something to the point of having working blueprints - and that's technical blueprints, not a concept sketch - is done when they have no plan of building it?

It was designed. It was planned. It was then cut down.

And why drag the topic up again after nearly a year?

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Thanks you two (Lee and Martin) for the confirmation. I knew I recalled the green layout having been legit, planned and (at one point early on) budgeted. That budget was cut, multiple times, and the track was reduced as a result. I'm guessing the scenery also suffered as well, the exterior is lacking in some appropriate scenery and lighting at night is extremely poor. Not to mention a dry stream running in front of the Dwarf cottage, couldn't even bother to add any water to that for some reason.

A lot of the scenery in the concept art would have been obvious choices to add to the ride's exterior with a proper budget. Just better landscaping and grass would have gone a long way. But i've no doubt that it was a heavy push in imagineering to include some sort of fallen tree, preferably with the dwarfs marching along the surface. It's a very iconic and classic sceney from the original movie. And adding sparkling gemstones to parts of the exterior would have addressed a lot of the poor lighting at night.

Nice thread bump. But why do it ten months later to post incorrect statements?

Curious. And a little odd.
So, all in all, Goof is incorrect on this.

Still a strange thing to drag up from the past when the argument was shown to be wrong.
I'm beginning to suspect he may be trolling. He also claims the Grand Floridian and EPCOT resorts trim lighting looks terrible and outdated (because to heck with maintaining authenticity to the Hotel Del Coronado and similar inspirations apparently) and is glad maintenance won't fix it. And he was against the spires returning to the Great Movie Ride facade (again in spite of the real Chinese Theater having them). If he's not trolling, then at the very least he seems to have an extreme fundamental lack of design sense in his opinions.

But this conversation makes me feel like he may indeed just be trolling. He bumped an almost year old topic just to post something disagreeable. And he has ignored both yourself and Lee confirming he was wrong, and is still arguing...

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I'm beginning to suspect he may be trolling. He also claims the Grand Floridian and EPCOT resorts trim lighting looks terrible and outdated (because to heck with maintaining authenticity to the Hotel Del Coronado and similar inspirations apparently) and is glad maintenance won't fix it. And he was against the spires returning to the Great Movie Ride facade (again in spite of the real Chinese Theater having them). If he's not trolling, then at the very least he seems to have an extreme fundamental lack of design sense in his opinions.

But this conversation makes me feel like he may indeed just be trolling. He bumped an almost year old topic just to post something disagreeable. And he has ignored both yourself and Lee confirming he was wrong, and is still arguing...
Maybe the building code required that the coaster be made smaller and with fewer show scenes... :bored:

Clover Bailey

If they ever do, however, make an extension to the ride, I'd like to see a scene in the Witch's Castle. It wouldn't be scary like the original ride, but have a more silly looking Witch like the one at the cottage, with the dungeons and her at the cauldron.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If they ever do, however, make an extension to the ride, I'd like to see a scene in the Witch's Castle. It wouldn't be scary like the original ride, but have a more silly looking Witch like the one at the cottage, with the dungeons and her at the cauldron.

The biggest problem with expanding it is that there is no room. The ride if totally landlocked and takes up almost all the available space.

RandySavage

I was aware Shanghai wasn't getting WDW's final cottage/witch scene, but looking at the recent drone pic and going back to the D23 Media Board you can see it is getting a final scene: a miniature cottage, well and stump. This enhanced pic shows the art and where it is going:
Shanghai Disney Dwarfs Finale.jpg

Which finale would you prefer (assuming SDL's is a mostly static, "Storybook Land" style vignette)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom