Original Monorail Car up for auction on Ebay

Figaro

Original Poster
Got this in my email this morning. Anybody interested in bidding? :)

****Sorry! I just found the original thread on the Disney Auctions. Sorry if this is considered a repost :( ***

"Original Walt Disney World Monorail Car on the Disney Auctions Block

After Logging Nearly 1 Million Miles, Monorail Seeks Comfortable Home

For Retirement

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, Calif., May 24 /PRNewswire/ -- A primary symbol of Walt Disney World Resort for many people, a car from the world-famous Walt Disney World Monorail will be put up for auction at Disney Auctions ( www.disneyauctions.com ), presented by eBay, on May 27. In conjunction with the year-long Walt Disney World "100 Years of Magic" celebration commemorating the 100th anniversary of Walt Disney's birth, enthusiasts and collectors can bid on an authentic Monorail pilot's car from the resort for the first time.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020524/LAF003 )

The "100 Years of Magic" auction, from May 23 through June 6, also will feature a variety of memorabilia items from Walt Disney World theme park attractions, one-of-a-kind vacation experiences at each of the four Walt Disney World parks, and original artwork from various Walt Disney films and park attractions.

"We are having a lot of fun with this auction. It caters to our most passionate bidders who really want to own a piece of the history of Disney, and I'm not sure we can beat the Monorail for providing that history," said George Grobar, Vice President Auctions, Walt Disney Internet Group. "What better way for Disney Auctions to join in the celebration of Walt's 100th birthday than to offer a Walt Disney World icon and an item that was Walt's personal idea."

The Monorail - Walt's Welcoming Vision

Beginning with the Walt Disney World opening in 1971, the Mark IV "Monorail Red" greeted visitors from around the world and conveniently transported them between locations within the resort. Disney Auctions is offering the nose section of Monorail Red, which was decommissioned on January 23, 1993 following more than 20 years of service. By the time "Monorail" Red was decommissioned, it had logged a total of 943,976 miles -- the equivalent of 38 trips around the circumference of the Earth. On any given day, the Monorail system serves up to 200,000 Disney guests and is the most heavily traveled passenger monorail system in the world.

Other "100 Years of Magic" auction items include:

-- Unique Vacation Experiences -- An experience at each of the four Walt

Disney World parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, and

Disney's Animal Kingdom. Each experience includes a customized and

private park tour, access to select attractions, and a sneak peek

"behind the curtain" into backstage areas.

-- Park Memorabilia -- Official "100 Years of Magic" merchandise

available only at the Walt Disney World Resort and Disney Auctions, a

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride vehicle porthole, and a green

running light from a Jungle Cruise ride vehicle.

-- Authentic Artwork -- Items include an original artwork cel from Beauty

and the Beast, "Remember the Magic" original painting created for the

Walt Disney World 25th anniversary, an original painting of Sorcerer

Mickey, a watercolor of the famous Mickey Mouse and Goofy golf scene,

and the artist proof of the "100 Years of Magic" commemorative ticket.

Disney Auctions & Walt Disney Internet Group

Disney Auctions ( www.disneyauctions.com ) presented by eBay is an online marketplace from Walt Disney Internet Group and eBay. It features authentic, rare and one-of-a-kind Disney collectibles and memorabilia from every aspect of Disney's fabled entertainment legacy. Walt Disney Internet Group (WDIG) provides strategic leadership and operational management for The Walt Disney Company's Internet properties including category leaders Disney.com , ESPN.com , ABCNews.com and ABC.com . Steve Wadsworth is president of WDIG, which is headquartered in North Hollywood, CA, and has operations in Seattle, New York, Orlando, Fla., Tokyo and London.

For further information please contact Media, Brandy Phillips, +1-310-407-6577 or mobile, +1-323-309-8643, brphillips@webershandwick.com, or Anne Burkhimer, +1-310-407-6568 or mobile, +1-310-567-7040, aburkhimer@webershandwick.com, both of Weber Shandwick for Disney Auctions.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
This is going to be a very interesting auction....I'm going to keep an eye on it when it starts (may 27th)
But what would you do with a monorail pilot car?
Put it in your Front room?
If I owned a bar...like a disney theamed bar..that would look cool behind the Bar...just an Idea...

What would you guys do with it?

WDWFREAK53

I would put it in my backyard and have a stream running through the bottom of it (where the track would go). Then I would make it a pool (changing) house...the stream of water would run to the pool! I would put a television and a small refridgerator in it too

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I would put it in my backyard and have a stream running through the bottom of it (where the track would go). Then I would make it a pool (changing) house...the stream of water would run to the pool! I would put a television and a small refridgerator in it too

LOL Cool....great Idea...

I was just thinking... my moms house is on 8 acres... Have someone build a track...and I can just ride in it, back and fourth..or in circles all day...drinking a big bottle of brandy doing my best Dudley Moore as "Arthur" imitation ...and mooning the neighbors..:lol:;):hammer: :)

Invero

Here it is... this is what they're talking about.

Attachments

• dcp01925.jpg
    dcp01925.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 464

Invero

The front cab

(By the way... sorry for all the specs and whatnot... it was VERY VERY dusty there!)

Attachments

• dcp01944.jpg
    dcp01944.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 432

Invero

Oh, and by the way... in case anyone is wondering... These pictures of the Mark IV trains were taken a few months ago at Disney's warehouse where they have been in storage for many years. Disney gave us permission to take as many pictures as we wanted, so I did... :)

tenchu

I'd put a hole in the bottom of it and put my car in there. Then i could drive it around town. That would be cool!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
hmm.. i'd just put it back on the monorail beam and make it my personal train. ride it back and forth, to and fro....

SykedOwt

Originally posted by tenchu
I'd put a hole in the bottom of it and put my car in there. Then i could drive it around town. That would be cool!

HaHaHa

I Was Just Wondering, What Exactly is the point of Getting a Monorail car besides the fact that its a cool thing to have. Can You Do Anything With it?

Invero

Originally posted by SykedOwt

HaHaHa

I Was Just Wondering, What Exactly is the point of Getting a Monorail car besides the fact that its a cool thing to have. Can You Do Anything With it?

You won't be able to do a gosh darned thing with it. Without the rest of the train, it's pretty useless. Not to mention, it's been sitting so long, it's nowhere near working condition anyways.

Basically the only thing you can do with it is sit in it and look at it... *shrug*

Hopefully they'll provide the key to unlock the console... As I remember, only Cab 6 of Silver had it's console unlocked... both of Red's were locked tight...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom