Original Alice in Wonderland Ride

Californian Elitist

@secondstartotheright Here you go:

3497732061_a8ab306511.jpg

Wilt Dasney

The original versions of the DL dark rides are more shrouded in mystery than originals at WDW, because DL opened well before the days of vacation camcorders. Remember that DL's Fantasyland was completely overhauled in 1983, and I'm pretty sure that's when the original Snow White and Alice rides were replaced.

1983 also happens to be the year Sony released the first general consumer camcorder. As far as I know, no video footage exists of the original Snow White ride at DL, and I imagine the same is true of the first Alice ride. Photos and descriptions are really all we have to appreciate how different those rides were. That's why I love threads like this so much!

AllyInWonderland

Original Poster
At the OP: do you mind posting a link to the article you were reading about Alice?
Sure! I actually found out about it when I was reading about the Haunted Mansion's history.

Here's one with some description about the ride. For some reason it's a conversation between Iago and Zazu, but it gives a pretty good description of the ride.

http://www.emuck.com/aotw/alice.htm

Californian Elitist

The original versions of the DL dark rides are more shrouded in mystery than originals at WDW, because DL opened well before the days of vacation camcorders. Remember that DL's Fantasyland was completely overhauled in 1983, and I'm pretty sure that's when the original Snow White and Alice rides were replaced.

1983 also happens to be the year Sony released the first general consumer camcorder. As far as I know, no video footage exists of the original Snow White ride at DL, and I imagine the same is true of the first Alice ride. Photos and descriptions are really all we have to appreciate how different those rides were. That's why I love threads like this so much!

If you check out my Fantasyland 30th Anniversary thread, I posted a clip from "40 Pounds of Trouble", a movie from the sixties. It shows a little bit of what Snow White and Toad were like before the makeover in the 80s.

Wilt Dasney

If you check out my Fantasyland 30th Anniversary thread, I posted a clip from "40 Pounds of Trouble", a movie from the sixties. It shows a little bit of what Snow White and Toad were like before the makeover in the 80s.

What a fun clip! Those long, dialogue-free establishing shots of the park wouldn't be seen in a movie today. And it wasn't even in a Disney movie! Thanks for sharing.

Clover Bailey

Something a lot of people don't know, but originally, there was supposed to be an expanded version of the Alice in Wonderland dark ride at WDW. It was supposed to be built on Sir Mickey's spot, but it the ride was cancelled. I heard that Disney wanted to build a 'proper Alice ride', whatever that means. Also here is another image of the original ride:

tulgeywood.jpg

Phroobar

I remember some things about the snow white ride when I rode it back in the 70s. I mostly remember the evil queen in the castle window, the skeletons saying "Go back!" and the little mine car that almost crashes into you. Weird the witch drops things on you multiple times in the ride and how the falling jewel is not in the movie. I wish there was a better video than that one.

I don't remember the original Alice ride much. We must have ridden it but I think my parents stayed mostly with the bigger e ticket rides than the FL dark rides.

Donaldfan1934

The new version of Alice in the Tulgey Wood I suppose is more on-model than the original, but she looks kinda inflated.

unnamed.jpg

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back with modern technology and record low light video of all the original attractions, then mysteriously post them on the internet in the year 2015.
The widen your world YouTube channel doe have a lot of suspiciously perfect footage of long extinct attractions. I suspect time travel, but that's just meXD https://m.youtube.com/user/widenyourworld

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom