1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on CowFish?

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Corey P, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

I'm going to meet some of my Orlando friends for dinner Saturday night and they wanted to go to a restaurant they haven't been too at City Walk. They suggested CowFish or she said there was a new Italian place? She couldn't remember the name? Think she is talking about Vivo Italian kitchen?

I'm not excite about a $16 burger and I'm not sure if both my kids will eat sushi? 3 out of 4 would probably happy with the sushi.

I haven't been to a chain Italian restaurant in a long time and I'm kind of picky about that kind of food. I'll put it this way I think Olive Garden is crap.

Any comments on either of these places? My friends get all excited about chain restaurants but in general I don't eat in any chain places. Here's an idea what I can choose from locally if you are interested. https://www.hiltonheadisland.org/dining/?gclid=CNfZ_fWmvNQCFQsQgQodR6EM6g

UCF likes this.
  2. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

I thought the sushi at Cowfish was pretty good but the burgers were not so good.

3. zachrupertdsn

zachrupertdsn Active Member

Had Cowfish on my trip last October and overall was not very impressed. I was with a vegan, and they had options for her, but our food took over 45 minutes, and then her food was wrong. Once we did finally get our food, my normal burger was cold and sort of bland. This also just might have been a very bad experience, and our waiter did apologize and ended up giving some of the meal free.

We did enjoy that outdoor seating, and that seemed to be where lots of the families with kids were.

4. BubbaQuest

BubbaQuest Well-Known Member

I think it might be fun with kids. Really colorful environment. However, like the previous poster, we had really slow service when we went. You might want to check out Toothsome Chocolate Emporium if they haven't been and want to try something new and unique.

trr1 likes this.
  5. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member Original Poster

I want to check out Toothsome Chocolate Emporium, have to ask my friends if they have been there.

6. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Vivo isn't a chain restaurant. It is a Universal creation. They make their own pasta daily. And everything is prepared fresh. I have also found it to have good service.

[​IMG]

I love Cowfish, but the service can be inconsistent. They have some unique items that I enjoy like the Crab Wonton Dip. They also have one of the better specialty cocktail menus in CityWalk. I really like the Buffalo Bacon. Cowfish has more to distract kids. They have a virtual "Aquarium" in the center of the room. And down stairs they have an area where the kids can create their own fish before dinner and then all through dinner they can occupy themselves trying to spot their fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Between the two, Vivo is the classier option, Cowfish the more "fun" option.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  7. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Get your kids burgersushi if you end up at cowfish. They do like burgers don't they? Get a spiked milkshake for yourself.

8. lebeau

lebeau Well-Known Member

We're not sushi eaters, but the wife and kids loved Cowfish. If members of your party don't like sushi, it's not a problem. There are burgers and burger-inspired sushi. We ate there the second to last day of our trip. On the last day, we planned to eat at Vivo for lunch but the girls were lured back to Cowfish. My wife needed more burgersushi. The kids loved having edamame as an appetizer and the dessert sushi (rice krispie treat with Swedish fish). It was their favorite meal of the trip.

We also ate at Toothsome which was very good. I don't think you can go wrong choosing between the two. Service at both places was on the slow side. In fact, I don't think any of our waiters were in a hurry all week. Thankfully, neither were we.

mergatroid likes this.
  9. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

We absolutely love Cowfish and always try to visit when we do HHN multiple nights. As other have said though, the service can be slow. As for the kids not liking sushi (my wife doesn't either), there's loads of burgers on the menu. Google the Orlando Cowfish menu and take a peek. I personally like 'The cowfish has officially left the building' and 'The rise and swine' and my wife just requests a plain one which they're always happy to knock up (the burger that is).

10. Kingdom Konsultant

Kingdom Konsultant WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor Premium Member WDWMAGIC Sponsor

The burgers are some of the best we every had

Pam

mergatroid likes this.
  11. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

Agreed

12. Corey P

How's
    The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen™?

Looked at the menu and that looks like something for everyone on it. My Orlando friends didn't realize they serve food, they thought it was just a shake place. Think the kids would enjoy that place as well, maybe a few apps to split then shakes something like that.

Disneyhead'71 and trr1 like this.
  13. Corey P

Make their own pasta? Hmm.

14. Disneydreamer23

Disneydreamer23 Well-Known Member

Went last May- hated it

15. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Which one? Why did you hate it?

16. networkpro

networkpro Well-Known Member

I eat at the Atlanta location every few weeks (its across the street from my office) and it pretty good, but eclectic.

If you're not a fan of either Burgers or Sushi go somewhere else.

17. Disneydreamer23

Disneydreamer23 Well-Known Member

The one in City Walk. I loved the atmosphere it was cool, but my burger that was supposed to be medium rare was so red and literally cold. I couldn't even eat it. I sent it back and it came out the same way. I was going to ask for some thing else, but by that time It was already late and my waiter was not the fastest of people.

18. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Toothsome is great, if you like chocolate (who doesn't) it will be a real hit with your friends. Caution the portions are large, I usually get a few apps and it is enough for me. Lots of variety to the menu

19. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I are there my burger was lukewarm at best, and friends of mine have had the same experience. It seems like the burger would have been good if it had been hot when it arrived at our table.

Also, overall I was not impressed with the atmosphere of Cowfish. Overall it looked and felt kind of cheap to me.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  20. Corey P

Looking at the menu it looks like just ordering a bunch of apps for everyone to share and then desert might be the way to go.

JoeCamel likes this.