Operating System Wars - Which OS is the most used on the WDWMAGIC forums?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Operating System usage for WDWMAGIC Forums

January 2009

Windows 86%
OSX 11%
iOS 2%
Linux 0.3%

January 2010
Windows 81%
OSX 15%
iOS 3%
Linux 0.3%
Android 0.3%

January 2011
Windows 74%
OSX 16%
iOS 7%
Android 2%

January 2012
Windows 65%
OSX 16%
iOS 14%
Android 3%
Linux 0.5%

January 2013
Windows 49%
iOS 29%
OSX 15%
Android 6%
Linux 0.6%

January 2014
Windows 41%
iOS 36%
OSX 12%
Android 9%
Linux 0.4%
Chrome OS 0.2%

February 2014
Windows 41%
iOS 36%
OSX 12%
Android 9%
Linux 0.4%
Chrome OS 0.3%

October 2014
Windows 40%
iOS 36%
Android 11%
OSX 11%
Linux 0.4%
Chrome OS 0.3%

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I'd say I'm on Windows 60 percent of the time, iOS 30%, and Android 10%. Interesting that there isn't a lot of love for Macs

Soarin' Over Pgh

At work, Im using Windows. Any other time, it's iOS.

I prefer iOS as I'm constantly having issues with the browsers on Windows. The site sometimes stalls out, doesn't fully load, etc. It's not a site problem, it's the browser and there's nothing I can do to fix it (that I know of, at least) and it's a work computer so I probably shouldn't be on here anyhow.

iOS is the way to go for me. Always loads well... ironically the only time I recall having a loading issue was sitting in my room at the Polynesian last May!

lazyboy97o

It really is amazing to see how much Windows usage has dropped off. I'm guessing I was alone in ever using webOS to access the site.

I think I am the only person that does not go to this site on his/her phone.
While I am sure a lot of people are using a phone, as I do, my preferred device for the past few years has been a tablet.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Windows at home...my Android phone at work...because WDW Magic is a blocked site in my office. Probably a good thing as I'd never get anything done.

Just curious: with the zillions of web sites on the internet, why does your employer block/single out this particular site? Do they block all entertainment sites across the board, or just this one? When I'm at work, I rarely have time to go online for fun, and usually it's only to check the local news, weather, etc. Only a few, brief, times have I looked at WDW Magic while at work, but the site was certainly available for me to view.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just curious: with the zillions of web sites on the internet, why does your employer block/single out this particular site? Do they block all entertainment sites across the board, or just this one? When I'm at work, I rarely have time to go online for fun, and usually it's only to check the local news, weather, etc. Only a few, brief, times have I looked at WDW Magic while at work, but the site was certainly available for me to view.
Most corporate security gateways allow blocking by category, and WDWMAGIC often gets blocked due to having discussion forums and being entertainment based.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Most corporate security gateways allow blocking by category, and WDWMAGIC often gets blocked due to having discussion forums and being entertainment based.
How do those categories get assigned to websites?

At my office they block adult and gaming, but one of my go to gaming sites, Rooster Teeth, comes through fine.

HouCuseChickie

They have a wide variety of sites that they block. I think some of it is how various aspects of the site appear when it goes up against our firewalls. I want to say that certain structure, encryption, etc. sends up a red flag and causes the block. Most blogs, forums, and social networking sites are blocked because they carry a higher virus risk. What's crazy is something must have changed in DISBOARD's configuration as they are no longer blocked - and they've been blocked for years. Something similar recently happened with Flickr. Obviously, some kinds of content are also tabu which will also be blocked by the firewall, but that's not the case with WDW Magic. i.e. it's because of the kind of site it is and the risks associated with these sites. I work for a large financial firm and computer security is very serious, so they tend to be super cautious about what you can look at from their systems. What's crazy is while we have a ton of sites blocked in our office, DH has even more that's off limits. He works for a different large financial firm and I think YouTube and ebay are some of the sites he can't access that I can.

sweetpee_1993

I find the drop off from Windows very telling. Personally, I'm 100% iConnected: iPhone, iPad, or MacBook. There's very few functioning non-Apples in our house. The # of Windows based units in use with the exception of our sons' game consoles should be down to just one by the fall. I'm planning to replace both my boys' laptops they use for homeschool with MacBooks before the next school year begins. ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I find the drop off from Windows very telling. Personally, I'm 100% iConnected: iPhone, iPad, or MacBook. There's very few functioning non-Apples in our house. The # of Windows based units in use with the exception of our sons' game consoles should be down to just one by the fall. I'm planning to replace both my boys' laptops they use for homeschool with MacBooks before the next school year begins. ;)
I find the rise in mobile OSs more telling. You will notice drops in the usage of both Windows and OSX. This shows that people are transitioning from using laptops and desktops to phones and tablets.

sweetpee_1993

I find the rise in mobile OSs more telling. You will notice drops in the usage of both Windows and OSX. This shows that people are transitioning from using laptops and desktops to phones and tablets.
Of course they are. Everyone *has* to have a cell phone. ;) why not have one that browses? Then you don't have to depend on another piece of expensive equipment. Tablets are cheaper than laptops or desktops. Portability plays a huge role, too. I'm using my iPhone to type this even though its so blurry I can barely see it (don't have my glasses on) because I just was talking on my phone & didn't take the time to pick up my iPad an arms length away or my MacBook just a foot beyond that. Heck, I even got a longer charging cable for my phone recently so I'm not tethered as close to the outlet. LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom