Only Fp allowed to ride?

capecodhome

Original Poster
I go every year to Disney in the fall. Last year at HS we went on TSM using our FP then my 8 yr old wanted to do it again but when we went to go back in line the cast members said there was no standby line and only those with FP could ride. While we had just gotten off the ride and there were cars going through empty 2-3 at a time. Very upsetting of course to all . Does this still happen anywhere?

Minthorne

I think this was a test to see how the existing track handled the scheduled FP traffic when planning the 3rd track - which is rumored to be stand by only.

Berret

In the Parks
No
I think it's complete bullcrap to eliminate a standby line for a ride. If you're not among the elite few who get to schedule a FP for that ride then you're just screwed, have a good day, thanks for the park admission price. Hit the road, as they say.

CaptainAmerica

I think it's complete bullcrap to eliminate a standby line for a ride. If you're not among the elite few who get to schedule a FP for that ride then you're just screwed, have a good day, thanks for the park admission price. Hit the road, as they say.
1. Nobody eliminated any standby lines.

2. If they DID eliminate the standby line, the FP+ capacity would be dramatically increased since they no longer have to accommodate standby guests. If 10,000 people could ride standby, 10,000 people would be able to ride FP+. Capacity doesn't change. Your premise of the "elite few" is garbage.

3. Why would you rather stand in a 70 minute line than stroll around enjoying the park atmosphere for those 70 minutes and then get right on when your time comes around?

Berret

In the Parks
No
1. Nobody eliminated any standby lines.

2. If they DID eliminate the standby line, the FP+ capacity would be dramatically increased since they no longer have to accommodate standby guests. If 10,000 people could ride standby, 10,000 people would be able to ride FP+. Capacity doesn't change. Your premise of the "elite few" is garbage.

3. Why would you rather stand in a 70 minute line than stroll around enjoying the park atmosphere for those 70 minutes and then get right on when your time comes around?

First, I never said they eliminated standby lines, but that is certainly what they're considering and testing. Second, I'm sorry, but it does become the "elite few" if they did eliminate standby lines altogether, and you can only schedule FP+. What of those who don't have access to be able to schedule them before they get to the park, and they're all filled up for the day? Please try your call again later. Third, obviously no one wants to just stand around, but depending on how your FP+ is scheduled, you may HAVE to stand in line, especially since you can only do three at first and then only after those are used can you start to get more.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
First, I never said they eliminated standby lines, but that is certainly what they're considering and testing. Second, I'm sorry, but it does become the "elite few" if they did eliminate standby lines altogether, and you can only schedule FP+. What of those who don't have access to be able to schedule them before they get to the park, and they're all filled up for the day? Please try your call again later. Third, obviously no one wants to just stand around, but depending on how your FP+ is scheduled, you may HAVE to stand in line, especially since you can only do three at first and then only after those are used can you start to get more.
It is not what they were considering or testing.

TSMM will be adding a third track that will be FP only. The other two tracks will be standby. That is what they were testing.

The probability of them outright getting rid of standby lines for any attraction is near zero.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I guess the point is that the same number of people would be able to get on the ride whether it's standby or FP+ or a combination of the two. Yes, SOME people (and they're certainly not "elite") would be able to schedule their FP+ earlier than others, but if they eliminate standby altogether, I doubt the FP+ for the entire day would fill up before the day began, seeing as the number of FP+ openings that would be available would be incredibly high. However, as people have stated earlier, the possibility of this happening is almost zero.

The main crux of the problem in the park still remains: there aren't enough attractions that soak up people in DHS. It seems like it's going to be that way for a while.

landauh

You are making the assumption that if they move to FP+ only that they will not change the rules and procedures of FP+.

CaptainAmerica

First, I never said they eliminated standby lines, but that is certainly what they're considering and testing.
No it isn't. Please don't state "facts" about which you have absolutely no clue. You're going to confuse people who read this forum and don't know who to take seriously and who's just making things up.

Second, I'm sorry, but it does become the "elite few" if they did eliminate standby lines altogether, and you can only schedule FP+.
Every single guest has the ability to schedule FP+. Every single guest is not "the elite few."

What of those who don't have access to be able to schedule them before they get to the park, and they're all filled up for the day?
See above. Also, they WON'T all fill up for the day because there will be much more FP+ available if there was no more standby. No more standby means the supply of FP+ increases which means it's much easier to obtain one.

Third, obviously no one wants to just stand around, but depending on how your FP+ is scheduled, you may HAVE to stand in line, especially since you can only do three at first and then only after those are used can you start to get more.
If you can't find anything to do at Walt Disney World besides "stand around" waiting for your Fastpass, then I feel sorry for you. The "rides rides rides" mentality is what's led to the abandonment of immersive environments in the name of MOAR. Chill out and relax while you're in the parks instead of scurrying from ride to ride like an ADHD squirrel.

CaptainAmerica

It is not what they were considering or testing.

TSMM will be adding a third track that will be FP only. The other two tracks will be standby. That is what they were testing.

The probability of them outright getting rid of standby lines for any attraction is near zero.
Dammit Yoda. @Berret wants to be outraged and your silly "facts" are getting in the way of that.

Berret

In the Parks
No
Well, perhaps MOAR is what they need in DHS, because there are some great classic things but in many ways it's a ghost town, and that's really unfortunate. I used to enjoy it a lot more than I do now. Heck, my wife doesn't even want to go there, but my stepson and I tend to get her to go for a while.

docdebbi

we were there during the FP only test last year. I was not a happy camper. Like the good little grandmom I am I booked the FP+ at 60 days at midnight. We got there, and they were giving out FP to everyone- testing the no standby thing.
Ok, but they all got in the same line with us. no separate line for FP+ vs FP/standby. We waited the longest we have ever waited with a FP+- almost 30 minutes.
Was a flop in my opinion for those with FP+.
glad it was only a test and is over.
now.......if they start giving FP appt times for all rides, and I never stand in a line at all.....I'm all in! just don't make me book it 2 months ahead........never know when a kid is going to need to pee!

JoeCamel

I have to wonder what they were "testing", do they not know the capacity of the ride? That is how many FPs to issue if it is FP only on that section.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well, perhaps MOAR is what they need in DHS, because there are some great classic things but in many ways it's a ghost town, and that's really unfortunate. I used to enjoy it a lot more than I do now. Heck, my wife doesn't even want to go there, but my stepson and I tend to get her to go for a while.
OK, so here are the facts. HS had 20 attractions, not including any kind of parades, restaurants, or Fantasmic!, etc. They have closed exactly 3. The Backlot Tour - which totally sucked in it's last incarnation, The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow - did anyone actually go through that anyway, and The American Idol Experience - way past it's prime. So they still have the other 17 that you remember going to. How is it a ghost town if only 3 of 20 attractions closed down?

mousehockey37

IF they were to eliminate the standby lines, then the FP+ line becomes the new standby line. It's just that easy. Either way, TSMM is going to have a long wait. 2,3,4,5 tracks, guess what? They'll all have a line. A rather long line. Why? Besides ToT and RnR, there's not really anything to do there!!!!! That's why the lines are always so long!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
IF they were to eliminate the standby lines, then the FP+ line becomes the new standby line. It's just that easy. Either way, TSMM is going to have a long wait. 2,3,4,5 tracks, guess what? They'll all have a line. A rather long line. Why? Besides ToT and RnR, there's not really anything to do there!!!!! That's why the lines are always so long!
Nope, not the same at all. If it becomes totally FP+, then there is a known quantity of how many people will be there during a given hour. I believe that the test was done to see what kind of percentages do not show up, or show up late. Giving out the FP completely nullifies any kind of test, so they learned nothing from it.

Really? 3 rides in the entire park? Wow, I guess the other 12 we experienced were ghost rides or something. If all you do are thrill rides, you really need to go to Universal, and skip Disney altogether. You'll have a lot more fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom