One Way SW Land's Location Really Works

Rich T

Original Poster
Like many others, I've always viewed DL's layout as utilizing Main St. as the "home base." It's the place of comfort, safety and familiarity. Unless you're frightened of characters and crowds, there's nothin' scary about Main Street. Thrills and mysteries lie beyond the hub. In theory, the farther from Main St. you travel, the stranger and more more adventurous the park should become. Doesn't always work that way ( it was more consistent when the old Mine Train took you waaay out to a hidden desert full of "danger. ") The most effective example was the RoA; when you passed beyond the protection of Fort Wilderness, you actually witnessed a grusome murder (before they santized that bit).

The placement of Star Wars Land really works in that scenario; it's as far from the comfort of Main St. as they could possibly put it, and we'll actually have to hike a long way to discover it out in the "wilds."

I'm actually glad now they didn't put it in or by Tomorrowland; Tomorrowland is about science and optimism (or at least it should be). Star Wars is about danger and narrow escapes. I've never liked the fact that Star Tours was visible from the hub. Hiding that world in the "wilderness" sounds better and better to me the more the construction continues.

Last edited:

TP2000

Great points.

I'd love if Tomorrowland could be updated with a sharpened and cleaned up theme. As it is now it's a disaster that is oddly home to some great individual rides. Shoehorning Star Wars where Autopia is would have made the current thematic mess even worse.

mickEblu

Like many others, I've always viewed DL's layout as utilizing Main St. as the "home base." It's the place of comfort, safety and familiarity. Unless you're frightened of characters and crowds, there's nothin' scary about Main Street. Thrills and mysteries lie beyond the hub. In theory, the farther from Main St. you travel, the stranger and more more adventurous the park should become. Doesn't always work that way ( it was more consistent when the old Mine Train took you waaay out to a hidden desert full of "danger. ") The most effective example was the RoA; when you passed beyond the protection of Fort Wilderness, you actually witnessed a grusome murder (before they santized that bit).

The placement of Star Wars Land really works in that scenario; it's as far from the comfort of Main St. as they could possibly put it, and we'll actually have to hike a long way to discover it out in the "wilds."

I'm actually glad now they didn't put in or by Tomorrowland; Tomorrowland is about science and optimism (or at least it should be). Star Wars is about danger and narrow escapes. I've never liked the fact that Star Tours was visible from the hub. Hiding that world in the "wilderness" sounds better and better to me the more the construction conitunues.

I originally preferred Star Wars land to take over part of TL among all of the rumored options at DL. But now after seeing the plans, I think it was the best option and at least leaves the possibility of a proper TL redo. It's interesting though, that you bring up Star Tours being visible from the hub and not the gigantic, congestion causing, out of place eyesore that is the Astro Orbiter.

Pam Hates Penguins

I'm actually glad now they didn't put in or by Tomorrowland; Tomorrowland is about science and optimism (or at least it should be). Star Wars is about danger and narrow escapes. I've never liked the fact that Star Tours was visible from the hub. Hiding that world in the "wilderness" sounds better and better to me the more the construction conitunues.

Yes. I am thankful that Main Street is as far away from Star Wars Land as possible.

Phroobar

I really like that theory. The farther down the rabbit hole you go, the weirder things get. Star Wars land is just an extension of Fantasyland. Not all fantasies have to do with old European folk stories. But they do have to do with the hero's quest and Star Wars is nothing but that kind of quest.

Rich T

Original Poster
I originally preferred Star Wars land to take over part of TL among all of the rumored options at DL. But now after seeing the plans, I think it was the best option and at least leaves the possibility of a proper TL redo. It's interesting though, that you bring up Star Tours being visible from the hub and not the gigantic, congestion causing, out of place eyesore that is the Astro Orbiter.
Oh, Astro Orbiter's awful, to be sure, but even before the PeopleMover & Rocket Tower dismantling, I thought Star Tours looked odd so close to Plaza Inn--Too much fantasy too close. I think Inner Space got away with it because it gave off a World's Fair exhibition vibe that didn't clash quite so much with Main Street.

mickEblu

Oh, Astro Orbiter's awful, to be sure, but even before the PeopleMover & Rocket Tower dismantling, I thought Star Tours looked odd so close to Plaza Inn--Too much fantasy too close. I think Inner Space got away with it because it gave off a World's Fair exhibition vibe that didn't clash quite so much with Main Street.

Yeah I hear you. And on the flip side it's weird smelling fried chicken from the Star Tours Q. Haha

TP2000

Yes. I am thankful that Main Street is as far away from Star Wars Land as possible.

And yet Walt installed a thatch roofed Polynesian singing robot bird show literally right next door to Main Street, with a big marquee framed by African elephant tusks, which have nothing to do with Polynesia. Then 30 feet beyond that bizarre bookend to 1905 Marceline, Missouri is an 1850's log fort found along the Oregon Trail. And when you stand on the wood bridge to this log fort, you get a great view of a miniature Swiss Matterhorn. Because Walt.

But yeah, adding a Star Wars Land past Critter Country with the singing chicken log ride is really going to mess with the continuity of that thematic mash-up. ;)

Stevek

Agree with the OP and the placement of the Star Wars Experience is one of the reasons I have less of a problem with it than say, taking over all of Tomorrowland.

D

Deleted member 107043

I was a big champion of SW taking over TL because 1) Walt's concept for the land is extremely dated and tired for audiences today, and 2) I prefer that DL's distinct thematic lands (Adventure, The American Frontier, Fantasy and the Future) be linked directly to the Hub or arranged in logical progression. To me the final placement of SW Land is awkward because it breaks the narrative as you move in a circular path from west to east and vice versa, not to mention that there will be two different disconnected future/sci-fi lands on opposite sides of the park.

In the end though the improvements to the ROA and the Frontierland segment of the DLRR will be nice and I'm confident that SW will delight and amaze DL guests for many generations.

ctrlaltdel

I just see it as an extension of Fantasyland. Star Wars is fantasy with SciFi elements. It has more in common with quests and good vs evil than a vision of our future. Space Fantasy.
With a dash of Western influence as well. Despite being a huge SW fan, I can understand some of the criticisms of the placement of SWL in DL. But I don't think it's some thematic disaster, the IP itself fits in well with DL's tradition of more broadly themed lands. Plus, the location is a very good compromise for a multitude of reasons.

mickEblu

I was a big champion of SW taking over TL because 1) Walt's concept for the land is extremely dated and tired for audiences today, and 2) I prefer that DL's distinct thematic lands (Adventure, The American Frontier, Fantasy and the Future) be linked directly to the Hub or arranged in logical progression. To me the final placement of SW Land is awkward because it breaks the narrative as you move in a circular path from west to east and vice versa, not to mention that there will be two different disconnected future/sci-fi lands on opposite sides of the park.

In the end though the improvements to the ROA and the Frontierland segment of the DLRR will be nice and I'm confident that SW will delight and amaze DL guests for many generations.

The two future / sci fi lands on opposite sides of the park is a good point and also one of the original reasons I preferred SWL in TL. However, I would have to assume, or at least hope that this means TL will be receiving a proper redo and they possibly DE- sci fi the land after SWL opens.

I think it's plausible that this is the route they are considering. The most expensive attraction to run, Nemo, may go to mothballs after the Dory hype dies down. Star Tours is rumored to be replaced with something new sometime after SWL opens. I can easily see them retheming Buzz or replacing it with something during big TL redo and im pretty sure launch bay would be removed and replaced as well. That would leave Space Mountain, which in its original form isn't really sci fi. And Autopia, which of course would need a huge revamp.

D

Deleted member 107043

However, I would have to assume, or at least hope that this means TL will be receiving a proper redo and they possibly DE- sci fi the land after SWL opens.

What other story could Disney have in mind for TL other than sci-fi or "the future"?

Ideally, if Disney wanted SW Land to be a realm to itself, it would have been better for it to have been a transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland, similar to how NOS transitions between Adventureland and Frontierland. Obviously that wasn't possible though given the size and scope of SW Land.

mickEblu

What other story could Disney have in mind for TL other than sci-fi or "the future"?

Ideally, if Disney wanted SW Land to be a realm to itself, it would have been better for it to have been a transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland, similar to how NOS transitions between Adventureland and Frontierland. Obviously that wasn't possible though given the size and scope of SW Land.

I think the future and sci fi are two completely different concepts. If they could get back to a few entertaining and interesting ways to showcase the future I would be all for it. Especially since we ll be able to get our Sci Fi fix on the other side of the park. For example a ride like Tron would fit the bill for me. I think TL has to be more about playing to our senses than anything else. I just want to feel like I'm in the future. Not a mall from the 70s.

I think this needs to be done more so in the design of the land than the rides. If they could make TL look like the movie TL. That would look futuristic to us for years to come. Way past our lifetimes.

To be honest, for the rides I would prefer they be more entertaining then edutainment. I think more than anything I would like to see TL be a place with a clean, futuristic and coherent design. Somewhere that you would actually like to spend some time in.

I want I feel like I stepped into some Utopian future. With a lot of kinetic energy.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

With a dash of Western influence as well. Despite being a huge SW fan, I can understand some of the criticisms of the placement of SWL in DL. But I don't think it's some thematic disaster, the IP itself fits in well with DL's tradition of more broadly themed lands. Plus, the location is a very good compromise for a multitude of reasons.
I especially like how it's adding on to the park without getting rid of any attractions. Tomorrowland would have bulldozed some attractions to make room so there wouldn't be an actual gain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom