One Sentence Competition - Season 3 Episode 2

Sephirenn

Original Poster
Lagoon of Time:

During the Chemical incident of 2017, Disney realized that it had struck gold, in a way that could reduce demolition costs, and add an attraction. From now on, departing where the friendship boat docks are, guests will board glass bottom boats, as they look down into the acidic waters that house the rotting, and breaking down, relics of Disney past. This solution allows for them to save money, and profit on nostalgia on the "Tours of our past" Attraction.

Review

This is a friendly competition, so I am going to assume you are still following the prompt. The challenge was that the lagoon had to be drained, so I am assuming that it was drained, and then re-filled with fake polluted water :) With that said, this is such a great fit for Epcot in my mind, and would be truly unique. This could start with the glass bottom boats, and a tour across the water to see these relics. But it could be expanded in a number of ways.

- You could have self-guided tours, where you rent a small glass bottom boat and a map and try to find each of the relics
- You could have drone subs that a guest can rent and actually use to look around and find the relics using remote cameras
- You could have actual submarines that guests could board to see the old relics
- And you could continue to add a new relic every time a ride from WDW was retired

My concerns on this one have to do with the amount of value that is actually being added. Are guests going to line up to see some rotting relics at the bottom of a lagoon through a glass bottom boat that isn't always super-clear to look through? Even if the view is good, how interesting is it to non-imagineers to see old attraction relics sitting on the sea floor?

On the other hand, money-saving is at all all-time high on this one. And the ride is rife with opportunities to add in nice little touches like hidden mickeys or various logos or easter egg type trinkets. It would also potentially let you keep the idea that these boats are for transportation around the countries and not just built as a ride.

Sephirenn

Original Poster
Replacing the World Showcase lagoon will be EPCOT Tower. A large complex complete with a hotel, green space, restaurants, an observation deck, a convention center permanentaly occupied by a Big Hero 6 Style Science fair (sponsored by CalTech). This will make EPCOT more true to its original vision of a community and offer plenty of space for expansion within the various lower levels of the tower.
large.jpg

Review

Creativity: Bringing a hotel in as a part of the park would be very creative, and you described the amenities well. I think the idea of the hotel, along with your ideas of the bottom floors being practically part of the park instead of part of the hotel, wins me over and would give this a pretty good creativity score.

Realism: I am not sure how realistic this is. I think it is a great idea, but putting a hotel in the middle of the park (essentially landlocked by EPCOT) presents some logistical challenges. Also, I love the picture, but if I have to use it to judge what the hotel would actually look like, I think it is WAY too tall.

Theme: I'm torn on the theme. As for fitting this in with EPCOT, it passes with flying colors and I think you could make the structure look right at home in EPCOT. But as for the "theme" itself, I don't think an overall theme was really mentioned beyond just having an Epcot-type philosophy. Pretty good overall but I may have dinged a few points for that.

Sephirenn

Original Poster
Legacy of the World
hith-1964-worlds-fair-E.jpeg

In a tribute to both the 1964 World's Fair, and the spirit of World Showcase, the suddenly hazardous World Showcase Lagoon has been drained and filled with a central promenade that pays homage to one of the inspirations behind the area of the park. Moving it's a small world and the creation of the Ford Skyway, the center of World Showcase will be a permanent/makeshift Food and Wine Festival, in that -- even countries not seen around World Showcase with a specific pavilion, will have the opportunity to be on display in "World's Square "- the center of all the action in the sub-land "Legacy of the World"

Overall, the Legacy of the World will unite all of the pavilions together, and be the host to a dazzling fireworks display coming from the icon of the area, a large steel globe, showing unity of the planet and all nations on one earth together (the name of the show will be "One Earth" - a tribute to all of the nations that populate this magnificent planet).

Review

A nice idea that I think blends in very well with the existing area. The World's Fair idea is great, and the added room to make Food & Wine a permanent fixture is a great use of that space. Other than the fact that you are the second person to put Small World in the challenge, I'm not sure it fits here, and I think this area would be even greater without it. You have the globe as a centerpiece, you've got a great fireworks show, you've alluded to having some worlds fair-ish attractions along with food and wine tents, I think you really have what you need here. My only other concern on this one is creativity. I think this is very realistic and very well concieved, but maybe not the most creative

Overall: 7.5/10

spacemt354

Chili's
Just an FYI to everyone, I am trying out different review formats for each practice prompt :) I'm thinking of just using the short-form one I did for the first prompt reviewed (Disney Dad 3000's), but wanted to try out some others before I committed.
A great idea! Personally I am a fan of the way you did the first review. Just your own thoughts.:)

When you try to attach a number grade to these reviews, it gets to be more of a hassle than necessary I feel -- like for example "why did this person get 7.5 and I got 7?" It forces you to make sure you're consistent throughout which again is more than it needs to be.

Sephirenn

Original Poster
Welcome, Armchair Imagineers, to Episode 2 of Season 3 of the One Sentence Competition!

t1tXEY9.png

I would like to start by thanking all the previous hosts: @Turtle who started this competition and hosted season 1; @tcool123 , @spacemt354 and @David2319 who all hosted episodes of season 2; and @Pionmycake who did an amazing job hosting Episode 1 of Season 3! (Also because I am cribbing and editing a lot of his original intro posts to make things easier!)

I am truly honored and excited to be hosting Episode 2 of Season 3! In previous episodes this competition has involved rewriting history, traveling around the globe, remaking Walt Disney World, and so much more. This season's theme will be...

MngdYiX.png

All the prompts will be centered more or less in present day. But the rest of the theme will remain a mystery for now. There are some big surprises to come.
I hope everyone is excited when they see how the twists unfurl.

This competition is simple enough for new comers, but rewarding enough for veterans. This is a competition for everyone. All are welcome. Details are below and the first prompt will be posted shortly! Feel free to ask any questions you have!

And finally, for our first small taste of the twists to come: did you know that there has been a clue in the new "One Sentence" logo for our first challenge since the beginning of the thread? It is rather small. Did anyone find it?

Hello, fellow Armchair Imagineers!
Welcome back to Season 3 of the One Sentence Competition!

t1tXEY9.png

For those of you who don't know, the One Sentence Competition is a fun, casual competition. There are no eliminations and no large time commitment involved. You can drop in or drop out at anytime and most prompts should not take very long.

I'm your host for episode 2 which will have about 10 prompts over roughly two months. Each prompt will involve some sort of imagineering challenge. Some examples from the last episode were to create a new parade at Walt Disney World outside of Magic Kingdom or to create a new seasonal festival for EPCOT. This episode will be similar, but with a new theme:

MngdYiX.png

This competition is built on simplicity. Your responses can only be 1-3 sentences long and can only include 1 picture (though providing no pictures is perfectly fine too!). No videos or websites either. There will be a bonus on each prompt that you can use an additional 1 sentence to respond to. The bonus is mostly for fun, but may be used for things like a tie breaker if two submissions are very good.

Each response will receive a short review with encouragement and constructive criticism. Then, the top three will receive bronze (1 point), silver (2 points), and gold (3 points) medals. Whoever has the most points at the end of the episode gets Armchair Imagineering bragging rights, and maybe another small special surprise.

The competition aspect really isn't the focus though. This is meant to just be a fun time. Simple enough for new comers, but rewarding enough for veterans. A great way to start in the imagineering forums, to relax a bit between bigger competitions, or just to have a good time and use your imagination a bit!

Episode 2 begins Monday, April 10th (04/10/17).

I'll be posting one practice prompt soon to make sure everyone understands the format. Plus, ANYONE that makes a submission to the practice prompt receives 1 point right off the bat!

If you're interested, just reply so that we can get a list of folks I can mention in the thread before each challenge. But remember, there is no need to sign up ahead of time if you don't want because you can jump in and out at will!​

spacemt354

Chili's
Welcome, Armchair Imagineers, to Episode 2 of Season 3 of the One Sentence Competition!

t1tXEY9.png

I would like to start by thanking all the previous hosts: @Turtle who started this competition and hosted season 1; @tcool123 , @spacemt354 and @David2319 who all hosted episodes of season 2; and @Pionmycake who did an amazing job hosting Episode 1 of Season 3! (Also because I am cribbing and editing a lot of his original intro posts to make things easier!)

I am truly honored and excited to be hosting Episode 2 of Season 3! In previous episodes this competition has involved rewriting history, traveling around the globe, remaking Walt Disney World, and so much more. This season's theme will be...

MngdYiX.png

All the prompts will be centered more or less in present day. But the rest of the theme will remain a mystery for now. There are some big surprises to come.
I hope everyone is excited when they see how the twists unfurl.

This competition is simple enough for new comers, but rewarding enough for veterans. This is a competition for everyone. All are welcome. Details are below and the first prompt will be posted shortly! Feel free to ask any questions you have!

And finally, for our first small taste of the twists to come: did you know that there has been a clue in the new "One Sentence" logo for our first challenge since the beginning of the thread? It is rather small. Did anyone find it?

I see a number on the sorcerer's hat in gray that reads "5"

I don't know what it means though haha

Sephirenn

Original Poster
And as promised, here are the point rankings after our "participation trophy" first round (one point to everyone who participated):

@Disney Dad 3000 - 1
@gonzoWDW - 1
@Magic Feather - 1
@kmbmw777 - 1
@spacemt354 - 1

And a few folks that signed up but didn't get a chance to submit a practice prompt:

@FigmentPigments
@Pionmycake
@StevenU
@goofyyukyukyuk17
@S.P.E.W

Stay tuned for our first challenge! It is an oldie but a goodie (and should feel fresh since you only have 3 sentences max in this competition)!

Sephirenn

Original Poster
Prompt 1

Go Big or Go Home

propertymap2.JPG

-Scenario-

Let us kick off this episode with a true classic of a challenge.

The head honchos in charge of the Walt Disney World Resort are brimming with excitement. Over the next couple of years, Pandora will be opening, the new Toy Story and Star Wars lands will be opening, and there are rumors of a new cable car transportation system being built. What a time to be alive! All of this good news has pushed the company over the edge, and the plans and finances are falling into place for Walt Disney World's next BIG project, currently scheduled for 2025.

W9qYYAN.png

-Challenge-

Armchair Imagineers, your challenge is to name and describe the general theme or idea of your fifth park/gate for Walt Disney World!

-Bonus-

Another great way to set-up the theme and feeling of a park is through what a guest sees or hears before they even make it through the ticket counter. Use one sentence to describe your 5th gate's main entrance.

The bonus is mostly just for fun and will only be used for two purposes. The first is to break a tie if two responses are truly great. The second, and our first twist of the season, is that one bonus will be chosen from each challenge to receive a bonus point! Don't stress about this, as the bonus (and this whole competition) is still just for fun, but this offers another way to possibly grab some points.

-Rules-

You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture (plus one sentence for the bonus if you choose to participate). The deadline is Thursday (4/14) at midnight. Remember that it is the idea that matters; one sentence responses have beaten three sentence (with picture) responses multiple times in the past.

Your park must be placed somewhere within the current confines of the Walt Disney World property in Kissimmee / Orlando.

-Tips-

With the limited sentences in this competition, it may be a good idea to focus on the theme and idea of the park, instead of describing specific attractions.

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly. Try not to over complicate or over think things too much. It's a simple, casual competition. Focus on the big picture. Don't miss the forest for the trees. All that good stuff.

-Judging Criteria-

Is it creative?
Is it (generally) realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!?

As always, anyone is welcome to join in. Newcomers, veterans, anyone who wants to propose an idea!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Prompt 1

Go Big or Go Home

propertymap2.JPG

-Scenario-

Let us kick off this episode with a true classic of a challenge.

The head honchos in charge of the Walt Disney World Resort are brimming with excitement. Over the next couple of years, Pandora will be opening, the new Toy Story and Star Wars lands will be opening, and there are rumors of a new cable car transportation system being built. What a time to be alive! All of this good news has pushed the company over the edge, and the plans and finances are falling into place for Walt Disney World's next BIG project, currently scheduled for 2025.

W9qYYAN.png

-Challenge-

Armchair Imagineers, your challenge is to name and describe the general theme or idea of your fifth park/gate for Walt Disney World!

-Bonus-

Another great way to set-up the theme and feeling of a park is through what a guest sees or hears before they even make it through the ticket counter. Use one sentence to describe your 5th gate's main entrance.

The bonus is mostly just for fun and will only be used for two purposes. The first is to break a tie if two responses are truly great. The second, and our first twist of the season, is that one bonus will be chosen from each challenge to receive a bonus point! Don't stress about this, as the bonus (and this whole competition) is still just for fun, but this offers another way to possibly grab some points.

-Rules-

You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture (plus one sentence for the bonus if you choose to participate). The deadline is Thursday (4/14) at midnight. Remember that it is the idea that matters; one sentence responses have beaten three sentence (with picture) responses multiple times in the past.

Your park must be placed somewhere within the current confines of the Walt Disney World property in Kissimmee / Orlando.

-Tips-

With the limited sentences in this competition, it may be a good idea to focus on the theme and idea of the park, instead of describing specific attractions.

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly. Try not to over complicate or over think things too much. It's a simple, casual competition. Focus on the big picture. Don't miss the forest for the trees. All that good stuff.

-Judging Criteria-

Is it creative?
Is it (generally) realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!?

As always, anyone is welcome to join in. Newcomers, veterans, anyone who wants to propose an idea!
I'm sorry I forgot to submit the practice prompt! Excited for this season though!

kmbmw777

Disney's Portals of Adventure
Screen-Shot-2016-05-26-at-3.47.47-PM.png

Disney Parks in past have had double uses - the Magic Kingdom was an amusement park doubling as a theme park, EPCOT is a world's fair doubling as a theme park, Hollywood Studios is a studio lot doubling as a theme park, and Animal Kingdom is a zoo doubling as a theme park - so the fifth gate must fit this criteria, which is why my fifth gate is a museum doubling as a theme park.

Guests enter the complex by entering a marble building (decorated like a museum), in which hallways branch off to the different worlds. (BONUS)

When a guests walk through one of the five hallways, they see works that would be traditionally represented in a museum such as art or scientific description, before arriving in one of the five completely immersive worlds.

The worlds are as follows: Starship Nexus (representing a planetarium), Pangea (themed to Dinosaurs so the land at AK can be replaced), the land of Gods (ancient art), Washington (a presidential museum (look it up)), and Chaotica (a children's museum based of the City Museum in Saint Louis).

Last edited:

D Hulk

DISNEY'S ATHLETIC GAMES
28.jpg

Complementing the “permanent World’s Fair” that is Epcot, Disney now introduces Disney’s Athletic Games, the world’s first “permanent Olympics” (adjacent to ESPN’s Wide World of Sports complex).

Guests assume the role of Olympians and engage in both fun physical activities and exciting sports-inspired rides set in romantic recreations of historic Olympic host cities, all surrounding an iconic central stadium which hosts live sporting events and the park’s spectacular nighttime Closing Ceremonies.

Naturally, appropriate Disney characters appear throughout, from the Fab Five in the calming Mickey’s Athletic Village, to Hercules in mythic Ancient Olympia, to Anna and Elsa in the snowbound Scandinavian Winter Games, to Lightning McQueen and pals racing around in Roman Motor Sports (among other lands).

(BONUS) Disney’s Athletic Games begin with the Opening Ceremonies entry land, which organizes an international assortment of sports venues around a symbolic eternal flame.

spacemt354

Chili's
Disney's Natural Wonders Park

Walt Disney World's 5th Theme Park will be a tribute to the world's natural wonders; from towering canyons, soaring waterfalls, and solar lights -- our world is filled with a plethora of beauty. That beauty will be on display for all to see in the Natural Wonders Park - with "lands" including the Grand Canyon, Great Barrier Reef, Victoria Falls, Aurora Borealis, and the Sahara. Guests will be able to take a raft ride along the Colorado River, dive into a submarine to the coral floor of the ocean, careen through the Egyptian pyramids on an archaeological dig, as well as witness an Aurora light show at night.

Bonus:
neentrance.jpg

The entrance will be similar to a national park entrance such as the one at Yellowstone -- and the park itself will be located on the Epcot Monorail - with a walking trail from the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, into a back entrance of the park

gonzoWDW

Disney's Mythos​

All cultures from around the world have important stories, typically serving as the backbone for their most important and revered traditions, the guiding light for their morality, and the settings for all their truly great tales. Even in modern times, the influences from ancient epics affect modern writing, story telling, and living (and theme park design too); rather than fight to mask these influences, Disney brings these origin stories to life with their fifth gate - Disney's Mythos. The lands of this park will focus on the different stories and myths from different parts of the world (differentiated from World Showcase as this will only deal in mythology), placing the visitors inside the most famous and influential stories ever told - with subtle nods to how these stories have impacted Disney's own original stories.

Bonus: Guests ascend a gradual, winding, stone paved slope, surrounded by carvings into the ground in multiple foreign languages (all of which relay the same message - "The greatest tales of life, love, and adventure are told here") when suddenly, they see the parks newly minted entryway, a fully restored Parthenon.

The_Parthenon_in_Athens.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Disney's Mythos​

All cultures from around the world have important stories, typically serving as the backbone for their most important and revered traditions, the guiding light for their morality, and the settings for all their truly great tales. Even in modern times, the influences from ancient epics affect modern writing, story telling, and living (and theme park design too); rather than fight to mask these influences, Disney brings these origin stories to life with their fifth gate - Disney's Mythos. The lands of this park will focus on the different stories and myths from different parts of the world (differentiated from World Showcase as this will only deal in mythology), placing the visitors inside the most famous and influential stories ever told - with subtle nods to how these stories have impacted Disney's own original stories.

Bonus: Guests ascend a gradual, winding, stone paved slope, surrounded by carvings into the ground in multiple foreign languages (all of which relay the same message - "The greatest tales of life, love, and adventure are told here") when suddenly, they see the parks newly minted entryway, a fully restored Parthenon.

The_Parthenon_in_Athens.jpg
Hey - welcome back!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom