One full day at DLP

JillC LI

Original Poster
So it's definite that we will be at DLP in July 2015 - two kids ages 16 and 13, DH and myself. We will be arriving early in the morning by train from a hotel as yet to be chosen in the main part of the city of Paris, and will be returning by train in the evening. We are rope-drop to closing Disney visitors and we don't mind running around like crazy people to maximize what we can see and do. So where do I begin? Is there an Unauthorized Guide for DLP like there is for WDW and DLR? Any suggestions on how to hit as much as possible in one single day and what not to miss?

Animaniac93-98

So it's definite that we will be at DLP in July 2015 - two kids ages 16 and 13, DH and myself. We will be arriving early in the morning by train from a hotel as yet to be chosen in the main part of the city of Paris, and will be returning by train in the evening. We are rope-drop to closing Disney visitors and we don't mind running around like crazy people to maximize what we can see and do. So where do I begin? Is there an Unauthorized Guide for DLP like there is for WDW and DLR? Any suggestions on how to hit as much as possible in one single day and what not to miss?

There is an Unofficial Guide to DLP like there is for the American parks, but it does not get updated every year. Last edition was printed in 2010, but you may find copies on Amazon.

If you want to do both parks in one day, my recommendations would be:

For the Studios:
Ratatouille
Cinemagique
Crush Coaster

For Disneyland:
Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain (if you like coasters with loops, it's more like RnRC there)
Castle gallery and dragon
Phantom Manor
Pirates
Small World

I you're just doing Disneyland, then I would also recommend the Storybookland boat ride, the Alice Maze and the train around the park.

Both options are doable, but you'll spend a lot of time walking trying to do both parks in one day.

Depending upon how late you want to stay, Dreams (the night time show) would be a good choice, but during the summer it may not start until 10:00pm or later. The parks however, almost never open to the general public before 10:00am.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice @Animaniac93-98. I will definitely pick up a guide book. We do not mind a lot of walking at all if it means experiencing more of Disney. I'd love to see Dreams, but given that we have to be at the airport the next morning at 8:20am, perhaps staying til closing is a tad over-ambitious. I'm also not sure how late the trains run. We shall see. It'll be a long trip back to NY so maybe we can catch up on sleep then!

The rest of my family loves thrill rides, but I can only handle so much thrill. :D I don't like the drops on E:E. I can handle the corkscrews on RNRC because they are in the dark and I barely see or feel them. Is SM at DLP like those corkscrews or more like loop de loops and big drops?

Animaniac93-98

Thank you for the advice @Animaniac93-98. I will definitely pick up a guide book. We do not mind a lot of walking at all if it means experiencing more of Disney. I'd love to see Dreams, but given that we have to be at the airport the next morning at 8:20am, perhaps staying til closing is a tad over-ambitious. I'm also not sure how late the trains run. We shall see. It'll be a long trip back to NY so maybe we can catch up on sleep then!

The rest of my family loves thrill rides, but I can only handle so much thrill. :D I don't like the drops on E:E. I can handle the corkscrews on RNRC because they are in the dark and I barely see or feel them. Is SM at DLP like those corkscrews or more like loop de loops and big drops?

SM has a launch like RnRC along with one loop and two corkscrews. It's in the dark, but not completely as there are effects to see on the ride.

It's going to be closed for a lengthly refurb next year starting Jan 12, but it should be done when you go. The refurb should also fix how terribly rough the ride is too (bangs your head a lot now).

Bolna

If you want to do a full day at DLP, I would suggest to book a sit down lunch at Walt's (restaurant on Main Street). This will give you some time to relax in the middle of the day. And you will get to see one of the very special features of DLP! The restaurant is decorated in Victorian style according to the themes of the different lands. So make sure to wander around and check out all the different rooms!

My sister hates the big drop at E:E and finds it very scary. She loves Space Mountain at DLP. And if any of the rumors are true that they go back to the original version then I think it is an absolute must do.

The trains start early in the day and run very late. In the evening they might not run that regular anymore and those late trains will get very crowded!! Also don't underestimate how long it takes to actually get from a filled Central Plaza (DLP's name for the hub) to the train station with all the masses exiting the park at the same time. And you want to be in the Central Plaza for Dreams.

With regard to attractions, I think the list @Animaniac93-98 gave you is what I would recommend, too. However, I am not sure what the situation with Crush's Coaster is right now. But in the past this used to have ridiculously long lines. Things might have changed with Ratatouille in the picture now. But I don't think it is worth the wait of more than 40 minutes. It is a very cute ride. But in my opinion not an E-ticket. Also, due to the rides spinning nature (it is similar to Primeval Whirl, but the spinning is milder) you might not be able to see the decorations as well. In my opinion the position of your car in certain elements makes a quite a difference on the ride experience. So, you might come out rather disappointed if you wait 2 hours and then get the wrong position.

If you have never been on Tower of Terror at Disneyland, then it is worth it to check it out at WDS if you have the time. It is different from WDW. Most people think WDW is better (I do), but some prefer this version. It does have some additional element that is quite cool. And it is fun to hear the attraction in French. To me it adds some level of spookiness!

And if you can get a FP for Peter Pan, I think it is worth it at DLP. It is certainly an upgraded version of its American cousins, but basically still the same ride.

Finally, when I was planning my last trip, I noticed that the discussion boards on tripadvisor about DLP were very active and had a lot of really good information.

EPCOTCenterLover

There is an Unofficial Guide to DLP like there is for the American parks, but it does not get updated every year. Last edition was printed in 2010, but you may find copies on Amazon.

If you want to do both parks in one day, my recommendations would be:

For the Studios:
Ratatouille
Cinemagique
Crush Coaster

For Disneyland:
Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain (if you like coasters with loops, it's more like RnRC there)
Castle gallery and dragon
Phantom Manor
Pirates
Small World

I you're just doing Disneyland, then I would also recommend the Storybookland boat ride, the Alice Maze and the train around the park.

Both options are doable, but you'll spend a lot of time walking trying to do both parks in one day.

Depending upon how late you want to stay, Dreams (the night time show) would be a good choice, but during the summer it may not start until 10:00pm or later. The parks however, almost never open to the general public before 10:00am.
I'd add Adventure Isle, riding the train around the park, the Molly Brown riverboat, and the Nautilus to your attraction list. Also, go up in the fort in Frontierland.

Bolna

I'd add Adventure Isle, riding the train around the park, the Molly Brown riverboat, and the Nautilus to your attraction list. Also, go up in the fort in Frontierland.

The problem with the train is that it so incredibly popular at DLP that the lines often are very long. Also they often run far too few trains to meet demand. While nice, it is not worth it the long waits it often requires.

I would recommend to not try to board it from Main Street, but one of the other stations. Main Street always seems to have the longest waits.

HolleBolleGijs

Crush has a single-rider line now, which may be the fastest way to see it even if it means splitting up a group.

I would like to add however that single rider doesn't always save you that much time on Crush. I've seen it at 60 min when the stand-by line is 70; it's usually only 10 - 15 minutes shorter, plus it moves excruciatingly slow, since there are always a lot of 2- and 4- person groups. You never really know how long it's going to take.

The problem with the train is that it so incredibly popular at DLP that the lines often are very long. Also they often run far too few trains to meet demand. While nice, it is not worth it the long waits it often requires.

I would recommend to not try to board it from Main Street, but one of the other stations. Main Street always seems to have the longest waits.

I would think Frontierland is your best bet for taking the train. It's a little out of the way, but I pretty much walked on from there.

AndyS2992

Here is my day at Disneyland Paris back on October 22nd 2012, I recorded everything because I'm a loser like that lol Hopefully this will help somewhat in your planning.

Entered Disneyland Park: 10:45am
11:00 Grab Big Thunder Mountain FP as 90 minute wait
11:12 Pirates of the Caribbean [5 Minute Wait]
11:30 Big Thunder Mountain [FP 5 Minute Wait]
11:55 Phantom Manor [5 Minute Wait]
12:20 Space Mountain [15 Minute Wait]
12:55 Star Tours [No Wait]
1:20 Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast [20 Minute Wait]
2:00 It's a Small World [No Wait]
2:25 Mad Tea Party [5 Minute Wait]
2:55 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril [10 Minute Wait]
Left Disneyland Park at 3:25pm to grab lunch at McDonald's at Disney Village. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than eating in the parks so I recommend doing this if on a tight budget.
Entered Walt Disney Studios Park at 4:15pm
4:30 Rock N Rollercoaster x2 [No wait both times]
4:45 Tower of Terror x2 [15 minute wait then 20 minute wait]
5:35 Slinky Dog Zig Zag Spin [No wait]
5:45 RC Racer [No wait]
5:55 Crush's Coaster [15 Minute Wait]
Left Walt Disney Studios at 6:20pm
Re-entered Disneyland Park at 6:30
6:45 Space Mountain [15 Minute Wait]
7:10 Star Tours [No Wait]
7: 30 Pirates of the Caribbean [5 Minute Wait]
7:45 Waiting on MSUSA for Disney Dreams
8:00 Disney Dreams
Left Disneyland Park at 8:30
Left Disneyland Paris at 8:50 and headed back in to Paris city.

October is a great time to go as the parks are decorated for Halloween, the weather is nice and the place is practically empty :)

HolleBolleGijs

October is a great time to go as the parks are decorated for Halloween, the weather is nice and the place is practically empty :)

Depends on when in October; the earlier, the better. French students have two weeks of vacation around the end of the month, so it gets a bit crowded then, even during the week.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for all the excellent tips! I am printing out all these responses.

@AndyS2992, I went to DLR in May, and although I couldn't give you the precise times, I COULD give you a list of exavtly what we went on in what order for both days of our trip. I guess I'm a loser too! LOL

BrerJon

If you've visiting from the USA I'd say prioritise things that are really different, so Pirates, Phantom Manor and Space Mountain in Disneyland Parc, and Crush, Cinemagique and Ratatouille in Disney Studios. Those are the only things worth waiting in long lines for - if anything else has a wait over 15 minutes, skip it - most other things aren't that different to the American version, and in only one day you're better absorbing the theming and beauty of the park. Be there at rope drop and you can knock the E-tickets out quite easily, I'd do Space then Thunder first thing, and Fastpass everything else. And single rider for Crush, but if time is short you might want to skip it as lines do get very long.

One tip for the Studios - please don't take the backlot tour, it takes forever and is awful, far worse than Orlando's ever was. Watch a YouTube video of it if you want reassurance not to waste your time!

I'd second make sure to spend a few minutes looking around Adventure Isle - it's like a bigger and better Tom Sawyer's Island, and make sure to go inside the castle and see the dragon - it's the only Disney castle with a dragon in the basement! Also the arcades behind the shops in Main Street are cool, as that's something the USA parks don't have.

Basically make a touring plan, a list of a few 'must-dos', then just enjoy the heck out of it. One day isn't long, most people take three or four, but you can still get a lot done in the time. Food is awful though, and so expensive, so instead of spending $50 a head on a restaurant meal I'd just grab a quick burger or something midday and concentrate on attractions and taking time to absorb the beauty of the main park.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Thank you for the tips @BrerJon and for the link @Trekkie101.
Given our limited park time, we will definitely be there at rope drop and skip sit-down meals. I always have a loose touring plan in mind, so the tips about which attractions should be done first thing are very helpful.
Do you recommend that I start in the Studios or DLP?

BrerJon

Do you recommend that I start in the Studios or DLP?

It's a tough one, as you could easily find you get to the end of the day and haven't even got to the Studios yet, but I'd suggest starting with the main park because there a rope drop start would let you get 2 or 3 big rides done in the first hour, whereas in the Studios there are only 2 really long lines, Crush and Ratatouille, one of which can be Fastpassed, and they have long lines from the start so you're not maximising that morning time.

Maybe leave just before lunch for the Studios, then aim to be back in the main park for about 4 or 5, giving you more time to stay there if you're really enjoying it, but if you feel you've got the idea and want to get back to Disneyland Parc, you can pop back for the rest of the day - It takes about ten minutes to get from one to the other, and means you're back in time for Dreams if that's running that night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom