Trip Report One enormous BirthdayversaryPalooza! aka 2 Broke Guys & a dog & Irma COMPLETED

We've been using the "2 Broke Guys" moniker for so long now, we've outlasted the TV show "2 Broke Girls" on which it was based. (Canceled!)

The idea was a year+ of saving Disney Chase Visa points to see if we could go to Victoria & Albert's for our 10 year wedding anniversary completely on their dime - and keeping a running total including additions and withdrawals (for little WDW trips along the way) much like they did at the end of every episode of that TV show - like this:

$1,678.91

And that figure is actually what we have left to spend on our trip - about double what we would need for our V&A dinner! Not to mention: points paid for our 2 AP's, some of our lodging for this trip, and many mini-trips along the way. All that meandering, planning, brainstorming and trip reporting is on this thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...table-of-contents.909657/page-43#post-7874545

But that can take awhile. I'll give a little background in another post. Shout out to @dizfan917 for accidentally naming this thread in a post on that one, and to @Tuvalu for inspiring the "mother thread" with links to other thread(s) format.

Also to all those who have been following all this time! As those folks know, I go back and forth between posting with my phone and my laptop, and I'm more comfortable on the laptop. I'm using the phone now, whilst not asleep in Orlando, and anxious to get this first post out of the way before I do something to accidentally make it go poof! I will tag the others in a separate post.

Can't believe we're finally here!!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
The first couple seated had already left.

We had options of more dessert wines, etc. But we were full, we were buzzed (not drunk, which is right where you want to be in this situation) we were satisfied (understatement) and we were grateful. This was truly special.

You know what else was special?

IMG_2600.JPG

What other surprise could be in that box?

IMG_2601.JPG

Oh.

Not candy. LOL. :cautious:

To which my response was my fabulous Chase Disney Visa card with R2-D2 and C-3PO on it!

And here we come full circle. From the premise of the pre-TR over a year ago, can we pay for V&A dinner with Chase points?

Answer: yes. We can. We did. (with an upgrade.)

Victory! at Victoria's room lol. That made it all the more sweet. :)

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
They also gave us a V&A bag with a lemon poppy loaf inside to take with us.

It was now just about 10pm.

What do you do?

We hadn't been to Mizner's Lounge yet, but we didn't need to drink more.

The parks were closed.

We certainly didn't need to eat more.

As much as we didn't want it to end, didn't want to wake up and have it be checkout day, we started walking back towards the room.

I tried to drag it out by looking at details and taking pictures.

IMG_2602.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG

OK, I guess I took two pictures.

I could swear there's a picture conspiracy going on at WDW. I know I took pictures of Pandora; and I thought I had taken more at the GF that night.

Wanting for nothing, we continued back to our wonderful room.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Morning!!
IMG_2610.JPG

I finally went out and asked a CM to bring us two mimosas while B was still sleeping.

Then I realized about that table on wheels, and transferred our breakfast to that, between the beds.

IMG_2611.JPG

Again, I was trying to drag things out. Tried to capture the "hidden" Mickey shapes in the curtains.

IMG_2612.JPG

But they were gold. Lights, please!

IMG_2613.JPG

That's better.

Some pics from our window - still a beautiful morning (so far.)

IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2615.JPG
IMG_2616.JPG

Finally caught that monorail in the last pic!

The original plan (pre-Irma) was to check out as late as possible, taking full advantage of the room and Resort, spend the afternoon at the pool, and drive home in the early evening.

Since then, we thought we might instead drive to Atlanta, stay at Disney, we were even offered a place to stay in South Carolina by one of my record distributor's sales reps - how generous is that?

We knew checkout time was 11. We knew we had to get Kylie by 12 to avoid extra charges. So late checkout didn't make much sense - but I asked for 11:30, anyway, just so we didn't have to rush.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I finally looked at the paper that had been slipped under the door.

IMG_2608.JPG

Still no mention of pets.

I still kind of wanted to stay.

I started packing and organizing while picking and sipping, and made the first trip to the car with a few bags, hoping to move it up to a closer parking spot as well. We ended up in a kind of far flung spot the day before when we returned from visiting the pup, filling the gas tank, and getting lucky at Walgreens when they just put out some cases of bottled water, which was already in short supply. Back home, it was nowhere. We could see through all our friends on Facebook what was already going on there.

Naturally, I got to the car with the bags and realized I forgot the car keys. :rolleyes::bawling:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I hated to do this, but I texted Brian.

No reply.

I called Brian. No answer.

I really didn't want to walk all the way back - with all the bags - passing the bell people who no doubt knew I was just being cheap by not enlisting their help - but I started walking.

And Brian called back. o_O

He had some crazy idea about putting my phone on speaker, holding it near the car, and him pressing the unlock button to open the door. o_Oo_O:confused:

What?:cyclops:

I walked back to the car.

Need I say this?

It :bored: didn't :cautious: work. :banghead:

Brian came down with the keys.

:hilarious:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Back at the room, I found out the reason Brian didn't answer the phone initially it was because he was out getting more plates of breakfast LOL.

( he also at some point mentioned that the day I went to the front desk to fight for our lives ;) he went out there for tea and scones! :facepalm:)

I sent him out for two more mimosas because I didn't want to ask again LOL.

Before we go, a few pics of the pickins at the lounge:

IMG_2629.JPG
IMG_2630.JPG
IMG_2631.JPG
IMG_2632.JPG

dizfan917

WOW! I think your review of V&A's was actually worth the loooong wait. :D It looks amazing - even though I am the kind of person who prefers all my meats to be cooked... a lot. I'd be a great vegetarian if I didn't like hot dogs and hamburgers so much. I'm nervous about pink meats and raw fish and all those other kinds of barely cooked proteins. That's why I love the Shwarma Platters at Tangierine Café in Morocco - that meat has been cooked, ground up, re-shaped and then cooked AGAIN. Perfect! So I don't know if I'll ever spring for a meal at Vicky and Al's. :confused:

I love exotic and interesting FLAVORS, so the meal looked incredible, and beautiful. I'm glad you guys were able to celebrate 10 years together in such a special way! Congratulations - wishing you both many, many more anniversaries!!

SSH

And Pooh! Waiting to go on at the breakfast buffet! Candid TMZ style shots!
Never imagined I'd see Pooh & TMZ in the same sentence...well done.

So fascinating to read the V&A review - and see how the 1% lives. :hilarious:

As others have said, this is certainly the TR of all time. After living 12 months of highs & lows...from car repairs to back pain to burglarized record stores and hurricanes, it's been an unforgettable journey. Thanks for taking us along on this trip with you both! :joyfull:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
WOW! I think your review of V&A's was actually worth the loooong wait. :D It looks amazing - even though I am the kind of person who prefers all my meats to be cooked... a lot. I'd be a great vegetarian if I didn't like hot dogs and hamburgers so much. I'm nervous about pink meats and raw fish and all those other kinds of barely cooked proteins. That's why I love the Shwarma Platters at Tangierine Café in Morocco - that meat has been cooked, ground up, re-shaped and then cooked AGAIN. Perfect! So I don't know if I'll ever spring for a meal at Vicky and Al's. :confused:

I love exotic and interesting FLAVORS, so the meal looked incredible, and beautiful. I'm glad you guys were able to celebrate 10 years together in such a special way! Congratulations - wishing you both many, many more anniversaries!!

Thanks.

As always, you have a preference of temperature with any meat you order, just like any other restaurant. In this case, I tended to defer to the server's suggestions. In fact, I did that every time, figuring they know what they're doing.

I still assume they know what they're doing, I just figure I have peculiar taste in that I prefer the meat more cooked.

I have enjoyed a good tartare, but when you're not expecting tartare and you get fairly raw meat in much larger pieces, it doesn't quite work.

All it took was the knowledge Brian had to simply ask for a medium instead of medium rare, and that made all the difference. His was delicious.

Had I been "one of those people" I may have asked them to re-fire it.

If you like great meals, and you have a special reason to celebrate, I highly recommend it.

That said - and I hope no one takes this as derogatory towards Victoria and Albert's – but some of our other dining experiences with a lot fewer courses were almost as magnificent.

I will again call back to our meal at Jiko. I would love to do a wine pairing or other special experience there.

Also our two wine pairing events at the flying fish, two and six years ago were absolutely fantastic for about a quarter of the price.

It was probably about the same amount of food and amount of wine, just full portions instead of small portions.

Sometimes the experience can elevate the food.

Was this dinner worth it? Yes. No hesitation, yes.

Would I do it again?

Probably not for a long time or unless I have a lot more money LOL.

Instead, I would like to do some chef table experiences or other special dining events like that.

But right now, bucket list item checked and experienced to the fullest and loved it.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
And Pooh! Waiting to go on at the breakfast buffet! Candid TMZ style shots!
Never imagined I'd see Pooh & TMZ in the same sentence...well done.

So fascinating to read the V&A review - and see how the 1% lives. :hilarious:

As others have said, this is certainly the TR of all time. After living 12 months of highs & lows...from car repairs to back pain to burglarized record stores and hurricanes, it's been an unforgettable journey. Thanks for taking us along on this trip with you both! :joyfull:

:happy:

But wait...there's more(ish.)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
We went to Best Friends Pet Care for The pooch. They told us she hadn't pooped lately, and we figured no problem, she always poops for us out back as soon as we start running around. I know, because I always have to clean it up LOL.

We took her out back, she ran around, but no poop.

Um, excuse me Missy, we are not going to have a lot of time for this. There's a storm a-coming!

She didn't care.

We went over to the timeshare building which was maybe 4 miles away and were pleasantly surprised when we checked in.

IMG_2636.JPG

Those doors at the back right were to a balcony. We were asked to bring in the patio furniture from there to protect it, which we did.

As I mentioned before: separate bedroom, kitchen, washer and dryer – clean and perfect.

Kylie did her crazy roll on the carpet dance thing.

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

We were very happy to be all together. I thought she did so great with her first time overnight at the kennel and I thought we dodged a bullet without having any issues with her.

I had to go to Publix. There are things we didn't get at Walgreens the day before that we still needed, like dog food, food food, and a few requests from the family.

As you might imagine, Publix was a madhouse and I was there for probably over two hours. Fortunately, they had almost everything we needed with the exception of paper products. They were in much better shape than the ones back home.

There was a CVS on the way back to the room, and fortunately they had the paper products. Couldn't find extra phone battery back ups anywhere.

The room was convenient to a lot of places since it was on 192.

I took a chance on an ATM in the same parking lot and to my surprise was able to withdraw some money just in case we needed cash. Other ATMs had already been wiped out. Topped off the gas again and went back to the room with a full cart full of groceries.

Within an hour, the entire family was in our room – Brian's dad, stepmom, one brother with wife and two kids, another brother with wife and two kids. Good thing I just went shopping! I put out some crab dip with Ritz crackers, some beer, and good thing I grabbed this:

IMG_2647.JPG

BOGO screw cap wine and beef jerky. That's not too far a fall from last night's entree pairing, is it?

Party at our room.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
We basically had a live trip report at that time, because we were telling everyone about our trip, showing them pictures on our phones, etc.

Brian's stepmom and our sister-in-law were especially interested. They loved the photo album, they "awwwed" at the stories. They drank BOGO wine lol.

Cookie, his stepmom (and the only other Italian in the family besides me!) asked why we hadn't brought her anything back from Victoria & Albert's.

I thought fast and said, "We did!" And handed her the lemon poppy loaf LOL.

She would serve that to us a couple of days later in their room.

The guys busted our chops a little bit for such a fancy dinner until we told them we didn't pay for it. :eek:

And just like that, the party was over, we had peace and quiet, nothing had started happening yet weatherwise, and Kylie still wouldn't poop.

Was she afraid of the sign?

IMG_2662.JPG

Aww. Just like Disney. :cry:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
So that was Saturday. We were settled, we were comfortable with the family. By Sunday morning, we had pictures from the neighbors letting us know our house was OK.

This is the view of one side of our house from our neighbor's perspective.

IMG_2642.JPG

Yes, our house is sky blue. I love that color, and we can get away with anything down here and call it "tropical."

Those storm shutters did their job! And the neighbor's tree was still upright.

His fence wasn't.

IMG_2717.JPG

His is the wooden one. Ours is the metal one.

And there was no power or Internet.

Back at the timeshare, we had everything. We would be under curfew from 7 PM Sunday to 6 PM Monday. (Kylie, seriously, ya gotta do your biz!) We all went to his brother's room Sunday night and played board games. Kylie got to play with their much smaller dog. Their dog barked a lot and got in trouble. Not my puppy!

We were certain we would lose power that night since the storm had turned right toward us and everywhere else had lost power before us. We cooked what was left to cook, we turned the air conditioning down really low, and went to sleep.

In the morning, we were freezing because the power never went out! Woo hoo!

By noon, it was clear, but you still couldn't go anywhere.

By six, we tried to find a place to eat.

So did everyone else in the whole town who was no longer under curfew!

We drove with Brian's stepmother up and down 192 and places were either closed or had a two hour wait – no exaggeration.

Finally, we gave up and stopped back at that CVS near the timeshare. The line went from the front of the store to the back of the store. But we found five or six frozen dinners and took them all back to his dad's room. Ta-da!

The brothers had already left at this point. In fact, I think we were the only geeks who didn't break curfew early. :geek:

What I will remember most about that dinner is the four of us including Brian's dad absolutely hysterical laughing.

I don't even remember what we were laughing about. But it got to that point where you're so silly you can barely breathe. Great moment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom