On property or off property!?

Nelly2016

Original Poster
No matter what, you're going to have a great time :)

I'm going in December this year, and about 5 years ago I went the first week in January. We had gorgeous weather most of the time - shorts and t-shirts, but not hot enough that we wanted to go in the pool - though they were definitely people in the pool at my hotel - probably Canadians ;) The last day we were there it got much cooler, probably in the low 60s. It was hysterical to walk around the park that day - you'd see some Europeans in tank tops and shorts, and then you'd see Brazilians with parkas on, lol! Coming from Canada - it will be warm to you!

If you're looking to go to the water parks then April is better, but if you're just looking to enjoy the rides with some water at Disney, then February should be fine, though more hit or miss.

Thanks for your help :)

epcotisbest

Take a peak at the hotels in Disney village (disney springs area), they have a couple of nice hotels that you can get cheap and the rooms are bigger than a value resort, plus you get the perks of the other disney hotels (no magic bands though). the Buena Vista Palace always has deals. you can walk across to disney springs and they have a bus to the parks.

Thanks for letting me know!

There is no bus transportation from Disney Springs to the parks.

JIMINYCR

We've never even considered staying off site. We could have saved ourselves a lot of money by doing otherwise but it adds more to our enjoyment to stay on property. Just going back to the resort and having continued Disney atmosphere surrounding us makes it worth it. Every detail throughout the resort, the pleasant CM's, the food courts, all the Disney themed amenities keeps us thrilled. If it matter more to you to save money then you do what you have to do. When you can afford it you really should plan on staying on site and feel the difference it makes.

Nelly2016

Original Poster
We've never even considered staying off site. We could have saved ourselves a lot of money by doing otherwise but it adds more to our enjoyment to stay on property. Just going back to the resort and having continued Disney atmosphere surrounding us makes it worth it. Every detail throughout the resort, the pleasant CM's, the food courts, all the Disney themed amenities keeps us thrilled. If it matter more to you to save money then you do what you have to do. When you can afford it you really should plan on staying on site and feel the difference it makes.

To be honest, this thread is convincing me to stay on site. I've been to WDW once two years ago and probably won't be returning for a couple of years. I want to do this trip right!

epcotisbest

We stay offsite at least once or twice per year. There are some beautiful resorts in the area that cost much less and are much nicer than anything at Disney. With a rental car, it is easy and affordable to stay offsite. Never done it without a car though, that would make a big difference.

Nelly2016

Original Poster
We stay offsite at least once or twice per year. There are some beautiful resorts in the area that cost much less and are much nicer than anything at Disney. With a rental car, it is easy and affordable to stay offsite. Never done it without a car though, that would make a big difference.

Unfortunately we're coming from Canada and I don't trust myself to drive around Florida, lol, so driving ourselves isn't an option!

epcotisbest

Unfortunately we're coming from Canada and I don't trust myself to drive around Florida, lol, so driving ourselves isn't an option!
I think onsite would probably be your best bet then. Have you looked at POFQ or POR? Both great choices. You might consider the Swan or Dolphin as well, both are great choices and the location hard to beat, as is the price.

Nelly2016

Original Poster
I think onsite would probably be your best bet then. Have you looked at POFQ or POR? Both great choices. You might consider the Swan or Dolphin as well, both are great choices and the location hard to beat, as is the price.

I love both the Port Orleans resorts, those are the ones we're hoping for! Thanks for your help :)

WASaMATTR

Personally, I stay on property. Once you stay on property you get spoiled. I have booked a hotel off property after staying on site and the experience was a let down. Sure, you may spend a little less but you lose the full Disney experience.
If on property:
If you are flying in you get the magical express, and delivered to your resort. Extra magic hours. Possibly the dining plan.
Sometimes booking directly from Disney will get you a room but other sites work well too. Check it out before you commit.
All in all, have a magical time.

Nelly2016

Original Poster
Personally, I stay on property. Once you stay on property you get spoiled. I have booked a hotel off property after staying on site and the experience was a let down. Sure, you may spend a little less but you lose the full Disney experience.
If on property:
If you are flying in you get the magical express, and delivered to your resort. Extra magic hours. Possibly the dining plan.
Sometimes booking directly from Disney will get you a room but other sites work well too. Check it out before you commit.
All in all, have a magical time.

Thanks for the tips! :)

DisneyJunkie

Having stayed both on-property and off-property, it's hard to say that one is particularly better than the other simply because each has advantages/disadvantages that the other doesn't. For on-property, there are some truly great advantages that include (depending on where you stay): fantastic resort theming, incredible views, terrific convenience in location and transportation (i.e. monorail), and of course the feeling of being immersed in the World when you stay onsite even if you're not in a park at the time. Disadvantages of on-property sites (again, depending on where you stay) include: EXORBITANT room rates, some resorts (and their rooms) seem to be little more than a Motel 6 but with more expense put into theming, internal bus systems or stops that cause delays in your travel through the World, noise and obnoxious fellow guests (this primarily when in a resort occupied by cheerleading team there in Disney for their competitions).

Off-property has some advantages in terms of some offering far nicer rooms and amenities for the money you'd be paying (such as complimentary breakfast and shuttles to Disney), also the benefits of you being able to drive anywhere and anytime you want (yes, this applies to on-property places too, but I find that once I get to my resort, I don't want to use my car until its Leaving Day). Disadvantages of off-property include the lack of feeling of being enveloped in the Disney magic (you basically feel like you're on the outside looking in all the time, even if you take the shuttles every day and spend all day in the parks), location and lack of great views, and some of the convenience of Disney transportation such as being able to wake up, dress, and hop on the monorail (or take a boat) and off you go.

Like I said, each has its pros and cons, but certainly if you're cost-conscious that's likely going to be the determining factor. But if you're splitting the costs, my opinion is to stay on-property in a deluxe resort - if you're able.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Depends how much
17121923990_ba6b3b8fe6_b.jpg

you wanna spend...

Nelly2016

Original Poster
Having stayed both on-property and off-property, it's hard to say that one is particularly better than the other simply because each has advantages/disadvantages that the other doesn't. For on-property, there are some truly great advantages that include (depending on where you stay): fantastic resort theming, incredible views, terrific convenience in location and transportation (i.e. monorail), and of course the feeling of being immersed in the World when you stay onsite even if you're not in a park at the time. Disadvantages of on-property sites (again, depending on where you stay) include: EXORBITANT room rates, some resorts (and their rooms) seem to be little more than a Motel 6 but with more expense put into theming, internal bus systems or stops that cause delays in your travel through the World, noise and obnoxious fellow guests (this primarily when in a resort occupied by cheerleading team there in Disney for their competitions).

Off-property has some advantages in terms of some offering far nicer rooms and amenities for the money you'd be paying (such as complimentary breakfast and shuttles to Disney), also the benefits of you being able to drive anywhere and anytime you want (yes, this applies to on-property places too, but I find that once I get to my resort, I don't want to use my car until its Leaving Day). Disadvantages of off-property include the lack of feeling of being enveloped in the Disney magic (you basically feel like you're on the outside looking in all the time, even if you take the shuttles every day and spend all day in the parks), location and lack of great views, and some of the convenience of Disney transportation such as being able to wake up, dress, and hop on the monorail (or take a boat) and off you go.

Like I said, each has its pros and cons, but certainly if you're cost-conscious that's likely going to be the determining factor. But if you're splitting the costs, my opinion is to stay on-property in a deluxe resort - if you're able.

I think a deluxe resort is our price range unfortunately. Life of a college student! I definitely do want to be immersed in the Disney magic, that is my biggest reason for on site :) Thanks for your tips!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think a deluxe resort is our price range unfortunately. Life of a college student! I definitely do want to be immersed in the Disney magic, that is my biggest reason for on site :) Thanks for your tips!

I am a college student... I'm taking 4 of my friends to Disney World this July. We've been planning it since last July. The way we worked it out might help a little bit... Okay so there are 5 of us. Each of us agreed to put in $500 for the trip. Making our total $2,500. We're staying at a value resort for 5 nights, and one theme park each day.. (no park hoppers, photopass, fancy dinners...) We were also able to snatch up a "free counter service meal per day deal." So make sure you check and see what deals are currently being offered online! We're eating a cereal for breakfast, thanks to cheap walmart. And dinners are ate late back at the hotel. :)

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Nelly2016

Original Poster
I am a college student... I'm taking 4 of my friends to Disney World this July. We've been planning it since last July. The way we worked it out might help a little bit... Okay so there are 5 of us. Each of us agreed to put in $500 for the trip. Making our total $2,500. We're staying at a value resort for 5 nights, and one theme park each day.. (no park hoppers, photopass, fancy dinners...) We were also able to snatch up a "free counter service meal per day deal." So make sure you check and see what deals are currently being offered online! We're eating a cereal for breakfast, thanks to cheap walmart. And dinners are ate late back at the hotel. :)

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Unfortunately, our flights are $500 each alone! We are spending seven days in Orlando, 5 at Disney and 2 at Universal. Plus, we're big foodies so we're really looking forward to some nice dinners out, although well have breakfast in the room and and carry some snacks for lunch. Thanks for the tips!

daisyduckie

Take a peak at the hotels in Disney village (disney springs area), they have a couple of nice hotels that you can get cheap and the rooms are bigger than a value resort, plus you get the perks of the other disney hotels (no magic bands though). the Buena Vista Palace always has deals. you can walk across to disney springs and they have a bus to the parks.

Sorry, but you don't get the same perks as the Disney resorts do. No Magical Express, No Extra Magic Hours, No Magic Bands.

Jess G

I recently did a 2 week trip consisting of 9 days on property and 5 days off property. I stayed at the best western. Never again will i stay off property.. Its just not the same. The best western wasn't bad we got a disney view and were able to see all the firework shows from our balcony and we were able to walk to disney springs. That is the only plus i found. A lot of off site hotels have hidden fees, make sure u check for that, most of the time the hotel is another $20 a night than the price u may see advertised. Staying off site really cuts into your park time i don't think uber will be any faster than disney busses unless there's already one sitting outside waiting for u. I would deff consider a value before jumping to an off site hotel. You will be surprised about how NOT bad the disney transportation system is ;)

i have done both on site and offsite, onsite when we were on a make a wish for my daughter and we all enjoyed having the perks like early opening of the park, being very close to the park. but i couldn't but help in feeling like everything was rushed like getting breakfast, ques ect.

being off site i couldnt do do a hotel, we did it once without car rental and it cost a bomb in taxis.

so for the last 7 times we decided on a villa. to have a house with your own swimming pool, full kitchen it was like bringing your home to disney. plus we always tried to be 3 min away from a walmart which kept food, drinks on the cheap. it just felt more relaxed with no set time or rushing for breakfast. overall quite strangely was cheaper than a disney hotel.

But i would say if car rental was a definite no then on-site really needs to be an option.

just remember, on site or off site once you're in the park, hotel, villa, motel. none of it matters because you forget it all when in the park.

Mrhappyplace

I'm ordinarily pretty frugal and much prefer a staycation to a vacation but seeing as I married a WDW addict my philosophy on it is if you are already going to spend xxxxxx amount of money on a WDW vacation you might as well spend a small % more and get your moneys worth. To maximize your value I'd suggest comparing rates at Swan & Dolphin, DVC point buying and the value resorts.

Whatever you choose enjoy your trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom