OMG.. OMG .. OMG. Pirates of the Caribbean Shanghai Disney

FettFan

I watched this a day ago and I'm still extremely confused on how they changed the skeleton in the beginning to Jack Sparrow. That was an amazing effect. Ride looks fantastic! :)

I'm guessing it's an HD projected version of the classic Pepper's Ghost trick.
Disney's HD projectors can cause the Tree of Life to simply vanish....surely projecting a skeleton onto a polarized glass to hide the Deppamatronic wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

FettFan

Although the tech is insanely cool with the projectors and screens, I prefer they dont change from the current version at WDW. I love the nostalgic old Disney tech experience on Pirates. Some rides just don't need to rely on the latest and greatest tech to be a cool and immersive experience. Same with Haunted Mansion, leave it the way it is!

Though to be fair.....projected screens would be AWESOME on the POTC ceiling. If you're on the ride and look straight up, you see that you're inside of a building....the "night" sky is made up of ceiling tiles!
But imagine...if they were to turn the ceiling into an IMAX screen, and project actual twinkling stars, a full moon, and clouds.

Cmdr_Crimson

There's a (great) restaurant inside Disneyland's original (and all around vastly superior to WDW's) version of Pirates.

What? No Love for San Angel Inn?
Epcot-462.jpg

Yert3

I feel like the whole "projections vs real props" for attractions argument is the same as "CGI vs practical effects" for movies. It may look better, but just isn't impressive. You don't get that "Wow! How the heck did they do that?" Feeling. You know it was just done in a computer.

Wdw62114

Though to be fair.....projected screens would be AWESOME on the POTC ceiling. If you're on the ride and look straight up, you see that you're inside of a building....the "night" sky is made up of ceiling tiles!

But imagine...if they were to turn the ceiling into an IMAX screen, and project actual twinkling stars, a full moon, and clouds.

Yeah that actually would be super cool. Id be down with that since it would just enhance the original without going crazy

wendysue

That looks totally awesome, but I would rather ride through WITHOUT constant camera flashes and everyone's hands held up with a phone.. wait those days are over.

ght

That looks totally awesome, but I would rather ride through WITHOUT constant camera flashes and everyone's hands held up with a phone.. wait those days are over.
Yeah and for rides that use screens it really kills the effect when the flash reflects off the screen

Edward M

I have no issues at all with projections. They are able to create exciting movements along with a dark ride atmosphere. As much as people love to complain about NO PROJECTIONS, most Disney rides lack the excitement of rides like Spiderman and Harry Potter FJ. While I would prefer rides like Mystic Manor, this new Pirates is leagues ahead of anything Disney World has gotten in 2 decades. I still don't want DW to be overtaken with screens in comparison to real environments, but I think that there is no problem with them at all. They can really enhance a ride and give experiences that regular dark rides can't provide. I think that this Pirates ride is a fantastic balance; I mean a majority of the ride is real environments and even the rooms with screens usually have an amazing setpiece to go along with (like the huge pirate ships or the entire room and backwards lift at the end). It's hard to believe people could think our meh at best Pirates is better than this amazing new ride. Disney fans may want to embrace screens. They can really enhance a ride experience. In fact, in my opinion, Universal's Spiderman is superior to 98% of DW's rides (behind only Splash Mt and maybe Tower of Terror).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom