Old Space Mountain concept art

Which Space Mountain would you rather have....

• The concept art one.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • The existing one.

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

WEDway1975

Original Poster
Found old concept art for SM.
space1.jpg

There are eight seat spaceship instead of six were used too.
space2.jpg

I guess this where your about to launch since there is people going by?
space3.jpg

Queue with tracks on the roof.
space4.jpg

The blue or the red tube?
36c82f80.jpg

Looks like there was suppose to be a track outside.
spacemountain_65.jpg

This is a 1965 concept art for the rockets.

So I got a question for everyone would you rather have the concept SM or the existing SM and if you have other concept art please share!

-WEDway1975

TiggersPooh

When SM opened it did seat 8 people per rocket and the concept art is not the different from what the load area was. Obviously the load area never had the arched pillars before dispatch and in the middle of the load platform. The concept art for the lift hill looks very cool though! Great finds!

Kuhio

What impresses me most about these videos is the fact that the person who took them apparently stood in the Space Mountain queue and held a video recorder mostly still for over 16 minutes.

I think the female newscaster also played the "mean fiancée" in the Lindsay Lohan remake of The Parent Trap.

the-reason14

What impresses me most about these videos is the fact that the person who took them apparently stood in the Space Mountain queue and held a video recorder mostly still for over 16 minutes.

I think the female newscaster also played the "mean fiancée" in the Lindsay Lohan remake of The Parent Trap.

Ya she did, I think I remember recognizing her from SMtv when I saw her on the parent trap.

flynnibus

Premium Member
ugh.. give me the RCA version any day over that crap. Oh wait.. same mindset that gave us Ellen in UoE..

I hate what the nineties did to the place.. I guess it could have been worse.. and I guess they managed to figure that out on their second attempt in '09! *shakes head*

muteki

Why don't we get art like this out of Disney any more?

I think new design and engineering technologies make it easier to make a ride without the need of hand-drawn concept art to use as a reference. We still get concept art (like what was seen for FLE) but I think it's creation is now much more for marketing purposes and less so for design purposes. I think there must be some art that exists prior to formal designs being created, but that doesn't get released, and what does was probably created to match the existing design, not to guide it (just guessing though).

lazyboy97o

I think new design and engineering technologies make it easier to make a ride without the need of hand-drawn concept art to use as a reference. We still get concept art (like what was seen for FLE) but I think it's creation is now much more for marketing purposes and less so for design purposes. I think there must be some art that exists prior to formal designs being created, but that doesn't get released, and what does was probably created to match the existing design, not to guide it (just guessing though).
I am speaking more to the quality of the pieces themselves. Disney's more recent releases are much more cartoonish in nature.

muteki

I am speaking more to the quality of the pieces themselves. Disney's more recent releases are much more cartoonish in nature.

While this is all rather subjective, I thought the art released for FLE was pretty good, but given the subject matter it is somewhat expected to look cartooney.

When they start building attractions similar to those in the OP, then maybe the art will be more realistic/futuristic/whathaveyou. Avatar maybe?

I would love to see new SM art, but it would make little sense for them to make it now. Though they did add new posters for the attraction when they added the track audio.

c-one

Hard to pose concept art vs. the real thing as an either/or scenario -- all rides are constantly in flux in the development stage, as we can see based on which elements made into the existing Space Mountain and which got dropped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom