Old School Orlando-area "Tourist Traps"

tissandtully

Original Poster
Hey there,

I thought I'd bring up some nostalgia for the locals around here as well as though who did a lot of traveling around the Orlando / Kissimmee area in the 90's. What are your most remembered or infamously remembered "tourist traps"? Places that once you got in you asked yourself, "How much did I pay for this?"

Clearly the one I remember most and this is big because I was only about 12 when my family went there, Xanadu - The Home of The Future off 192 in Kissimmee. The building on the outside was all this "Futuristic" foam type material, I always referred to it as the smurf-house. I think the icing on the cake and the point when I realized we'd been duped was when one of the presentations said "In the future, every house will have a device that can boil water in 30 seconds - a device called a Microwave." This was in the 90's.

So come one, let's get "tourist trap" nostalgic.

tissandtully

Original Poster
The sign for Xanadu is still there, but the building is not. Every time we go by it, we both say "Xanadu: Home of the Future!" Shell World was always fun too - free necklace!

That's funny. I haven't been down in that area for a long time, I used to be around there a lot since my grandmother was part of historic Kissimmee community. She's still alive too, kicking it at 100 years old!

Speaking of tourist traps, I don't consider it one though, Gatorland. My grandmother was best friends with Pearl Godwin, who started Gatorland with her husband. I went there so many times as a child, I'm sure it's changed a lot as well.

mcurtiss

i recall going to Gatorland and Monkey Jungle as a kid, though I don't remember if those were in orlando or not. Is there a Parrot one as well?

wdwmom2+1

We used to do all the stuff along 192 in kissimee :) Our favorites were all the go cart places, mini golf. Of course we did old town and gosh darn I miss shell world we even tried to go by last visit sad to see it gone :( we did go a couple times to church street to the haunted house there.. and then along I-4 area (international drive) weve done wonderworks, ripley's , titanic, and miss the old FAO store they had there!! never did gator land and I know there is a farm place around there some friends of ours always hit up but we had never been :)

sweetpee_1993

You'd have to go back a little further for me. I was "local" from '81 thru '91-ish. I remember things like Stars Hall of Fame and Mystery Fun House. We were HBJ annual passholders in the mid-80s. I recall going to Circus World when I was really little but have a lot of memories of going to Boardwalk & Baseball.

PhilharMagician

Don't forget Cypress gardens of the past or the water ski capital of the world as it was once called which opened back in like the late 30's. I remember seeing the water ski show and was amazed. Then they lost there guests to the theme parks to the North and tried to add rides to bring people back. It was too little too late and sold off and reopened to be LEGOLAND.

Haven't been to Gatorland since the early 90's. I am shocked it has survived the changes in the Orlando area

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Don't forget Cypress gardens of the past or the water ski capital of the world as it was once called which opened back in like the late 30's. I remember seeing the water ski show and was amazed. Then they lost there guests to the theme parks to the North and tried to add rides to bring people back. It was too little too late and sold off and reopened to be LEGOLAND.

Haven't been to Gatorland since the early 90's. I am shocked it has survived the changes in the Orlando area
I remember going there as a kid and having to get my picture taken with all the southern belles. Lord it was hot and humid.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Boardwalk and Baseball...it was like ESPN Zone at Disney, but more fun. It was also the spring training camp for the Kansas City Royals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom