Old MagicBands, New Tickets, HELP!

basketballfraz

Original Poster
Hi everyone, I've got a bit of a query if somebody could please help me out?

So last year my family and I went to Florida, and we used MagicBands and linked them to our MDE accounts. We are going again this year and want to use our old MagicBands again. We have bought our tickets and I have linked them to our accounts, and the MagicBands are also still linked to our accounts and set to 'Active', however above where we see our MagicBands if still has the details for our last trip to WDW last year.

I'm just wondering if because I've linked our new tickets to our account, will they automatically be linked to our old MagicBands that are still linked with our accounts? And also, if we wanted to buy new MagicBands, how would we link them to our new tickets?

Thanks in advance!

BrianV

If the magic bands are linked to MDE AND active, they will access any tickets you put in MDE.

If you buy new bands and link them to MDE, they will assess any tickets you put in MDE.

basketballfraz

Original Poster
If the magic bands are linked to MDE AND active, they will access any tickets you put in MDE.

If you buy new bands and link them to MDE, they will assess any tickets you put in MDE.

That's great, thank you. I assume you can only have one MagicBand linked to an account at a time? So if there is currently a MagicBand linked to an account, would I have to make that In-Active before adding the new MagicBand? Or can you have multiple linked?

HurricaneHanna

That's great, thank you. I assume you can only have one MagicBand linked to an account at a time? So if there is currently a MagicBand linked to an account, would I have to make that In-Active before adding the new MagicBand? Or can you have multiple linked?
Each person can have multiple active bands. It's recommended that you have no more than 8 bands active at a time per person. More than that seems to cause some problems, especially with opening doors or getting the elevators to access club level.

BrianV

Each person can have multiple active bands. It's recommended that you have no more than 8 bands active at a time per person. More than that seems to cause some problems, especially with opening doors or getting the elevators to access club level.

I'm no where near 8 yet myself, but they seem to all stay active.

HurricaneHanna

I'm no where near 8 yet myself, but they seem to all stay active.
They will always stay active no matter how many you have. You would have to go into your MDE account and select "deactivate" on any bands that you wanted to turn off. You can then reactivate them at a later time. You can also report a band lost or stolen in which case it is permanently deactivated.

HurricaneHanna

It will let you have 9 or more active. It's just best not to. My understanding is that when you use a band the "signal" has to bounce around through all of the bands you have active before it gets back to your account info. Having too many active bands can slow some things down and it can make it hard to use the bands for some things, in particular opening resort doors and using keyed elevators.
NOTE- this is not a technically correct explanation :)

basketballfraz

Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation everyone. Just to make sure I've got this right in my head, say for example I had 3 MagicBands linked to MDE account, they would all be able to access the ticket linked on my account? So it wouldn't matter which Band I took to the park with me?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thanks for the explanation everyone. Just to make sure I've got this right in my head, say for example I had 3 MagicBands linked to MDE account, they would all be able to access the ticket linked on my account? So it wouldn't matter which Band I took to the park with me?
As long as you have them enabled on your account, then yes. (you have the ability through MDE to "disable" bands if you choose).

I put this to the test last Oct.

HurricaneHanna

Yes. This is correct.

Rob562

It will let you have 9 or more active. It's just best not to. My understanding is that when you use a band the "signal" has to bounce around through all of the bands you have active before it gets back to your account info. Having too many active bands can slow some things down and it can make it hard to use the bands for some things, in particular opening resort doors and using keyed elevators.
NOTE- this is not a technically correct explanation :)

The problem with stand-alone devices like the door locks is that they have a limited amount of memory to store MagicBand serial numbers. So when you have a family of four with 9 Bands and 5 RFID cards for each person and the front desk system tries to send *all* those serial numbers to the door lock to say they all have access, it can overwhelm the door lock's processor/memory.

This isn't an issue at the major-volume readers like park entry and FP+. Those are hardwired to servers that can handle it.

-Rob

HurricaneHanna

The problem with stand-alone devices like the door locks is that they have a limited amount of memory to store MagicBand serial numbers. So when you have a family of four with 9 Bands and 5 RFID cards for each person and the front desk system tries to send *all* those serial numbers to the door lock to say they all have access, it can overwhelm the door lock's processor/memory.

This isn't an issue at the major-volume readers like park entry and FP+. Those are hardwired to servers that can handle it.

-Rob
Thanks for the better, technical explanation.

Tom

Beta Return

-Rob

Yes, this.

There's really no reason to take more than a couple bands, per person, on a trip. I highly recommend deactivating any and all that are no longer being used. Both for security, and to make sure resort room doors aren't being overwhelmed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom