Old Key West, Caribbean Beach, Saratoga Springs, or French Quarter?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I have these 4 options in June and wanted some input, please!

Of the four hotels, rank your top to bottom.

I've stayed at them all except Key West (I think). Might have been really young and stayed at Key West, but don't remember.

21stamps

I've only stayed at OKW for 4 nights, POFQ for 2 nights.

I preferred the size of POFQ, but the room at OKW. I didn't do any parks while at POFQ, only DS. If not driving I would choose French Quarter.

EOD K9

What is your budget? How many people are going? Do you need a studio? 1 Bedroom? Are you renting a car? Those facts help. I've stayed at all of them. I like the food court of French Quarter, The 1 Bedrooms at OKW are nice (not a fan of the studio though) It does have a great quick service grill though. SSR is my DVC home resort which I enjoy. Caribbean beach has a good food court as well, but like SSR is also spread out. I am staying at SSR and Poly on my trip next month. Give us some more facts and we will chime back in.

correcaminos

OKW above and beyond the rest. The feel, location and activities make it stands out to me.
POFQ next but found it noisy
SSR then CBR though I am not a fan of either really.

BigRedDad

I've only stayed at SSR of the 4. It is difficult to compare Deluxe to Moderate. It will come down to what you are looking to do on the trip and what you want out of the resort.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
What is your budget? How many people are going? Do you need a studio? 1 Bedroom? Are you renting a car? Those facts help. I've stayed at all of them. I like the food court of French Quarter, The 1 Bedrooms at OKW are nice (not a fan of the studio though) It does have a great quick service grill though. SSR is my DVC home resort which I enjoy. Caribbean beach has a good food court as well, but like SSR is also spread out. I am staying at SSR and Poly on my trip next month. Give us some more facts and we will chime back in.
No budget, no car. I don't need a studio or kitchen. Just basic bed/bathroom is fine.

I do like the Food Court at Frenc Quarter.

JTT

POFQ
SSR
OKW
CBR

They are all good. POFQ, I like the smaller size better. Very well maintained and great theming.

SSR is great for Disney Springs but it's very big.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Based strictly in the information you offered:

POFQ
OKW
SSR
CBR

Based on me personally:

OKW
SSR
POFQ
CBR

The main difference is that I don't recommend Old Key West or Saratoga Springs unless you're going to be in a one bedroom villa or larger. Without a kitchen, you're left relying on quick service dining and those resorts are lacking in that department IMO.

correcaminos

Based strictly in the information you offered:

POFQ
OKW
SSR
CBR

Based on me personally:

OKW
SSR
POFQ
CBR

The main difference is that I don't recommend Old Key West or Saratoga Springs unless you're going to be in a one bedroom villa or larger. Without a kitchen, you're left relying on quick service dining and those resorts are lacking in that department IMO.
We don't actually use the stove much (ever) in the 1-2 bedrooms when we go so studios have enough in the kitchenette IMO for light lunches which is what we do back at our room. Give me a microwave to warm sandwiches (I like them warm) and a toaster with a fridge and I'm good.

I cannot remember one time I really cooked in our villas. Now laundry and king beds and separate sleeping spaces are our reasons for getting 2 bedrooms whenever we can. So without knowing a travel style it can be hard IMO to guess if that full kitchen is really necessary or not.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We don't actually use the stove much (ever) in the 1-2 bedrooms when we go so studios have enough in the kitchenette IMO for light lunches which is what we do back at our room. Give me a microwave to warm sandwiches (I like them warm) and a toaster with a fridge and I'm good.

I cannot remember one time I really cooked in our villas. Now laundry and king beds and separate sleeping spaces are our reasons for getting 2 bedrooms whenever we can. So without knowing a travel style it can be hard IMO to guess if that full kitchen is really necessary or not.
It's interesting... I've stayed in villas at Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, and Animal Kingdom Lodge, plus the Ft. Wilderness cabins and I've never cooked lunch or dinner even once. But I cook breakfast every morning. I really like hot breakfast so I make one egg on an English muffin (with bacon occasionally) every day "in real life" and my wife and I have it down to a rhythm. We cook breakfast, eat, feed the toddler, pack for the day, and we're out the door much faster than if we tried to grab breakfast at the resort or in a park.

correcaminos

It's interesting... I've stayed in villas at Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, and Animal Kingdom Lodge, plus the Ft. Wilderness cabins and I've never cooked lunch or dinner even once. But I cook breakfast every morning. I really like hot breakfast so I make one egg on an English muffin (with bacon occasionally) every day "in real life" and my wife and I have it down to a rhythm. We cook breakfast, eat, feed the toddler, pack for the day, and we're out the door much faster than if we tried to grab breakfast at the resort or in a park.
We're small breakfast eaters - yogurts, fruit, maybe a bagel. That sort of thing and that's how it is for all of us. We just make sure we have our 'usual' breakfast items in the room and we eat as we get ready. At home I spend a lot of time on dinner so that's the daily meal at home I cook. When on vacation, I opt out of that ;) Then for the other meals we like it smaller as well. If we do a larger meal, it's in the park so again the kitchen is somewhat useless. We did use the oven on broil to heat up a croque monsieur and some ham & cheese croissants though. That's as far as we go, and can use the microwave for that if needed. We always have breakfast and usually at least one other meal (likely dinner) in the room as well.

correcaminos

We enjoyed FQ a lot so we are leaning toward that. The food court is excellent.
I will be honest, I always say try something new! The grocery selection at OKW mercantile makes up for some of the lack of the food court IMO. But again I am biased as OKW is one of our top resorts we love. The staff - the pool - the community hall. Only AKL comes close to the treatment we get at OKW.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Decided on French Quarter even though there was no promotion on it (not sure why). Still a reasonable price and we like the food court and quiet resort grounds.

Thanks everyone for the input. We'll be staying 10 nights.

Last edited:

21stamps

Decided on French Quarter even though there was no promotion on it (not sure why). Still a reasonable price and we like the food court and quiet resort grounds.

Thanks everyone for the input. We'll be staying 10 nights.

Have fun!! I think you made a great choice..it's the same one I would have made anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom