Ok, now I need help finding a lens

CP_alum08

If you already use a zoom you know all about its flexibility. Try fixing the zoom at 30mm and see how you like that. If you are good with that, go with the 30mm, if you like having the flexibility, find a zoom to fit your budget.

I agree, good idea. I think there are only 1 or 2 people that post here using FX cameras, so most of what you see here will be cropped (whether the people know it or not :veryconfu). I don't know if you have a Flickr account but Flickr is a great place to learn and get ideas from. There are also a couple groups dedicated solely to the use of the Sigma 30mm. Check those out. Obviously they won't all be Disney photos, but it will give you an idea of what the lens can do. Also, the Disney Flickr community is awesome! It's relatively small group of people (who take more than just family photos) so everybody pretty much knows everybody and there is always friendly competition going on. So look into that too.

LilSuzy

Original Poster
I don't know if you have a Flickr account but Flickr is a great place to learn and get ideas from. There are also a couple groups dedicated solely to the use of the Sigma 30mm. Check those out. Obviously they won't all be Disney photos, but it will give you an idea of what the lens can do. Also, the Disney Flickr community is awesome! It's relatively small group of people (who take more than just family photos) so everybody pretty much knows everybody and there is always friendly competition going on. So look into that too.

GREAT idea...I will do this....thank you :)

LilSuzy

Original Poster
I just looked at the 30mm group images, and, OH MY! This is how I photograph at work...tight shots and I LOVE extremes! I think I found one of my new fav lenses! :)

NowInc

Tossing in my opinion again...

Although not horrible, Id say steer clear of the "kit lens" if possible. They are usually very "slow" and often have other issues arise (Chromatic Aberration, very poor low light performance, and cheap build quality). If you can just pick up the body without the lens, you save a few bucks that you can put into a better piece of glass with a comparable zoom range. (IE: the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DDHPYEQGDEFY6YNF6SC ). Yes it has iffy aperture, but from personal experience its a solid lens (and that Vibration Reduction is so handy!).

Regarding portrait shots, a 35mm or 50mm aren't unheard of.

Such as for single shots (35mm)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreggs/5452785785/

or even group shots (again, 35mm..ignore my bad use of "rule of thirds")...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreggs/5485990381/

Just gotta remember that with a prime lens you are forced to move...which I feel is not a bad thing at all.

LilSuzy

Original Poster
I looked into the 18-105....that one is nicer than the 55-200? Curious I honestly don't know. The reason I've become interested in a 30mm was it's sharpness. Someone suggested it to me and I've been looking into it. It looks like an amazing lens, though you are right I should look into another lens for zoom. So I guess it's a toss up between the 18-105 or the 55-200. Anyone of those more favorable than the other?

***a friend of mine suggested I look into the D90 before purchasing the D5100....any thoughts?

CP_alum08

I looked into the 18-105....that one is nicer than the 55-200? Curious I honestly don't know. The reason I've become interested in a 30mm was it's sharpness. Someone suggested it to me and I've been looking into it. It looks like an amazing lens, though you are right I should look into another lens for zoom. So I guess it's a toss up between the 18-105 or the 55-200. Anyone of those more favorable than the other?

***a friend of mine suggested I look into the D90 before purchasing the D5100....any thoughts?

I recommend the D90 over just about anything, but I wasn't going to mention it because you seemed pretty set!

I shoot with a D90. It's fantastic, it really is. The low light/high ISO capabilities are incredible. The sensor is bigger (just slightly) than the 5100 and 7000. The build quality is nicer than the 5100. Some say that it is 'old technology' because the camera has been out for a few years, I disagree. Right now the camera technology has sort of hit a wall. Companies are just adding more megapixels in hopes people will keep buying until they can come up with the next big thing.

The D90 does lack in the full HD, 1080P video category though, it's only 720P. Both the 5100 and 7000 have full 1080. Whether that is a big deal to you or not...I don't know. I think the biggest advantage of the 7000 is the autofocus points, it think it has something like 39, where the 90 and 5100 only have 11.

I know a couple people who switched from the D90 to the D7000 when it came out and were only mildly impressed. For right now, I think the D90 will last me until I feel the itch to go to an FX sensor, hopefully at least a couple more years :rolleyes:

LilSuzy

Original Poster
I recommend the D90 over just about anything, but I wasn't going to mention it because you seemed pretty set!

No not set, just confused :brick: But I have been searching all day reading about the d90, and I agree, although it has been out for a few years...it's NOT that different from the d7000. I am not getting an SLR for video, I want beautiful photographs, portraits.

What are your thoughts on getting this camera with the kit lens and adding a 30mm?:)

NowInc

Nikon (and cannon) are currently doing their release cycle (thus why the D3100, D7000, and D5100 all came out within the last few months). This is the only reason why I wouldn't get a D90..yet. Why yet? Well if they announce or release the successor to the D90 (meaning officially announce and not just the floating rumors), the price on that body will drop. The D7000/5100 were just released and as such are at the beginning of their shelf life, and are using what Nikon considers the most "current" technology. It's not all just megapixel upgrades btw..the sensors are beefed up to do great low light shooting. I have never personally shot with a D90 so I can not compare it to the D7000, but you are doing the right thing in reading reviews.

Welcome to the never ending cycle of camera commerce. Pretty soon you will be trying to sell off old glass and camera bodies on ebay to get new toys.

LilSuzy

Original Poster
Well if they announce or release the successor to the D90 (meaning officially announce and not just the floating rumors)

I checked Nikon's website and they have the D90 listed as a discontinued model....wonder why the price hasn't dropped that much yet.....:shrug:

The waiting game begins.....

NowInc

I checked Nikon's website and they have the D90 listed as a discontinued model....wonder why the price hasn't dropped that much yet.....:shrug:

The waiting game begins.....

The price will remain solid until the "new model" is announced.

The D4 and D400 are rumored to be announced in August..which I guess means the D90 replacement (if any exists..as some say the D7000 is the unofficial "replacement") would be towards the fall (along with maybe a D700 successor?).

So why is the D90 the same price if the D7000 is out? Confusion. I would fancy a guess however that the D90 price will go down once the D4/400 models are official, as I don't hear or read anything regarding a newer model other than those listed.

LilSuzy

Original Poster
You all have been EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you for ALL of your advise. Now I just have to be patient....:)

CP_alum08

No not set, just confused :brick: But I have been searching all day reading about the d90, and I agree, although it has been out for a few years...it's NOT that different from the d7000. I am not getting an SLR for video, I want beautiful photographs, portraits.

What are your thoughts on getting this camera with the kit lens and adding a 30mm?:)

I'm all for getting a kit lens as long as it either the 18-105 or 55-200 and not the 18-55. Both the 18-105 and 55-200 are a step above the 18-55 so it just comes down to what focal length you think you would use/like more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom