'Ohana Experience

Phonedave

And I stick by what I said - do it the way you enjoy it. Just because I don't see the sense in burning a steak till it's shoe leather, or the other extreme where you just show a steak the grill on its way to a plate, doesn't mean that some folks don't enjoy it that way.

There is personal enjoyment, and then there is fact. Some cuts, such as a onglet, DO get tougher after medium. That is a fact. You may like them that way, and that is fine, but it does happen.

It's also a fact that in a busy restaruant, if you order a steak medium or medium well, you may get a poorer peice of meat, and instead of being grilled, it may have taken a ride in the deep fryer.

Not all of the time, but it does happen.

-dave

Phonedave

I'll tell you what grosses me out - tuna! Tuna served rare. Tuna being served like I just took a bite out of a fish. C'mon, grill it a bit!

I'll eat it, but I have to be in the mood for it. It's not the fact that it is rare (or raw) its when it is hot on the outside and cold inside that I don't prefer it. I don't think the spread in temperature works. I also think cooking a steak "Black and Blue" is a waste of a steak. Some people may like it, but again, for me, burnt and raw in the very same bite is not enjoyable.

Undercooked pork is not enjoyable either. but then neither is overcooked pork.

I order a chicken sandwitch once, and the waitress asked me "how would like that cooked?" - "I usually like my chicken done" was my answer. Granted, there were some burger orders at the table as well, so she was just on auto pilot.

-dave

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I ate at Ohana last night and well it was horrible. Tuesday night, it was in no way busy as a matter of fact it was almost empty. There was no second server, the main server did all the work. While he was ok it took him 30 minutes to refill my drink. He paid more attention to the large party next to me. He refused to give me more shrimp instead he gave me two to start and ran away saying he would see if i ate that. I know he was trying to appease the large party. Needless to say, he never brought back more shrimp. The grilled meats were good though as usual. The server also failed to bring us the hot towels and when I called him out on it he asked why do i need it? Yet, he gave everyone in the large party towels. Odd dinner. Normally my time at ohana is amazing.

jaklgreen

I ate at Ohana last night and well it was horrible. Tuesday night, it was in no way busy as a matter of fact it was almost empty. There was no second server, the main server did all the work. While he was ok it took him 30 minutes to refill my drink. He paid more attention to the large party next to me. He refused to give me more shrimp instead he gave me two to start and ran away saying he would see if i ate that. I know he was trying to appease the large party. Needless to say, he never brought back more shrimp. The grilled meats were good though as usual. The server also failed to bring us the hot towels and when I called him out on it he asked why do i need it? Yet, he gave everyone in the large party towels. Odd dinner. Normally my time at ohana is amazing.

Are they still putting the same sweet sauce on all the meats? The last time we went there a few years ago they put it on all of the meats and it was over powering and that was all you could taste.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Are they still putting the same sweet sauce on all the meats? The last time we went there a few years ago they put it on all of the meats and it was over powering and that was all you could taste.

The grilled chicken was sweet and sour. The shrimp didn't have any taste honestly. The steak tasted like a regular grilled steak. Overall the grilled meats were good.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Undercooked pork, like chicken, is asking for food poisoning. Pork, being a lean meat (unlike bacon) should be cooked just until it's not pink. Otherwise it's flavorless and like leather.

Beef steaks, especially the better cuts, should be medium rare. Anything else will dry out the meat and make it less tender. And won't taste as good.

I always use my instant read thermometer to check the temperature of certain meats. Don't want my dinner returning over the next 12 hours.

crxbrett

Undercooked pork, like chicken, is asking for food poisoning. Pork, being a lean meat (unlike bacon) should be cooked just until it's not pink. Otherwise it's flavorless and like leather.

Beef steaks, especially the better cuts, should be medium rare. Anything else will dry out the meat and make it less tender. And won't taste as good.

I always use my instant read thermometer to check the temperature of certain meats. Don't want my dinner returning over the next 12 hours.

100% agreed. Rib-eyes and filets lose most of their flavor once they get cooked medium or more. Medium rare's always the way to go for me when it comes to a nice slab of beef.

And I'd say under-cooked pork is actually even worse than chicken. You can get some nasty parasites like trichinosis and tapeworms from pork that is under-cooked. No thanks.

Otterhead

I LOVE sushi, but could never get into that raw tuna thing.
Rare tuna, seared on the sides, can be wonderful. I am a huge fan of both sushi and rare fish when done right.

My last visit to 'Ohana was... chaotic, but tasty. I noticed, however, that for $40/person ($20 for kids) you can get an entire 'Ohana feast sent to your room at the Polynesian, complete with bread pudding. As much as I enjoy the party atmosphere of the place, sometime I'd like to enjoy it without the chaos of the crowds.

jgj123

I've found 'Ohana to be terribly inconsistent my last 2 trips. I hoped that last year's experience was a 1-off, but sadly to say this year wasn't much different.

Last year, while attentive, our server rushed us through the meal and after one round of the steak, chicken and shrimp, started to clear the table for dessert despite our party wanting more. We had to grab our plates and demand more shrimp and steak. Didn't help that our server also had a mega group of around 20 also.

This year, service was extremely slow. After the first round of steak, chicken and shrimp, we waited forever before anything else was brought. Plus the meats had an odd flavoring from the wood used that wasn't there before. Just really disappointed again. But at least the chairs had been reupholstered. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom