1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

'Ohana Experience

Discussion in 'WDW Restaurants and Dining' started by disney4life2008, Aug 27, 2017.

1. jaklgreen

jaklgreen Well-Known Member

The last time that we went there was about 5 years ago. It used to our place to go to every trip but that last visit the food was not good. The thing that bothered us the most was the weird sweet glaze that they put over every single meat. I hope they stopped doing that. I also felt bad for our server. She was working her butt off but obviously had way too many tables.

2. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member Original Poster

I think the glaze still remains but it's subtle.

My issue with the servers is that a table of 2 does not compare to a table of 10. One time my server complete forgot about me but the larger tables got all the attention. Some servers are better than others

jaklgreen likes this.
  3. Phonedave

Phonedave Well-Known Member

Beef, yes

Pork and Chicken, no

Fish, it depends on the fish

-dave

lisacat and cmb5002 like this.
  4. eb3257

eb3257 New Member

I used the reservations finder like you suggested and secured a reservation at Ohana. Thank you for posting this!!

5. DfromATX

DfromATX Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's gotten better. We've eaten there every trip and it was our "must do" place, but the last trip we thought it kind of went downhill (as other reviewers had warned).

6. Dafid Duck

Dafid Duck Well-Known Member

I'm also looking to secure an Ohana reservation. To use the touringplans reservations finder tool, do you have to subscribe? I saw that you could view other tools, like crowd calendar, without having to.

D M C likes this.
  7. danyoung56

danyoung56 Well-Known Member

Nope. Just go to the site. The Rez Finder is outside of their subscribed services.

8. Deranged Hermit

Deranged Hermit Member

Oh, yes it should. Hank Hill said it best:
    Bobby: what if someone asks for their steak well done?
    Hank: Well Bobby, we ask them politely, but firmly, to leave.
    ;)

Matty30, ZimZim, Courtney6682 and 4 others like this.
  9. DisneyShe

DisneyShe Well-Known Member

The redder the better. You can actually tell them beforehand, if you want it cooked longer or less. If mine is pink or dark pink, it is too done. But it is all a matter of opinion. Tell your server beforehand though, and you get what you want. :)

jaklgreen and disney4life2008 like this.
  10. DfromATX

I prefer just pink (medium), but your post made me laugh. We used to watch that show all the time. Are you by chance a Texan?

11. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member Original Poster

I will gladly leave. Any red meat on purpose is repulsive

12. jaklgreen

It depends on what meat you are cooking. If you are getting a steak, especially a filet, that cut needs to stay under med-rare otherwise it changes the texture and flavor. I say that if you do not like meat on the rare side then do not get steaks, just eat some pot roast. Funny story, we were at out local hibachi place and someone ordered their filet well done. The server cooked it and as they were handing it over he said "here's your beef jerky". We all laughed. My dad always liked his meat cooked well done. My Mom would make steak but she bought the cheap stuff like round steak and tried to treat it like a filet, but cooked the crap out of it. You could not chew the darn thing. It would never break down, just keep chewing and chewing until you finally had to spit it out. Know your cuts of meat and how to cook them. LOL

disney4life2008 likes this.
  13. danyoung56

This is just not true. Meat temperature is a purely personal thing. My dad always liked well done, while Mom liked medium. I settled in on medium as the best compromise between tasty juicy meat and something so raw that it was like chewing a leg right off of a beast. You continue to do your "under med-rare" if that's what works for you. And I'll continue with medium, cuz it works for me.

DfromATX likes this.
  14. DfromATX

I say everybody should cook their steak however they want to enjoy it! :D

cjlyon likes this.
  15. jaklgreen

I think I meant to say keep it at med or under. Any steak that is well done tastes off to me, personally. But I will say again, certain cuts can not be cooked well done unless you are going for the low and slow turning it into a pot roast. If Alton Brown was in on this conversation he would say the same thing. :D:p

elhefe4 likes this.
  16. danyoung56

And I stick by what I said - do it the way you enjoy it. Just because I don't see the sense in burning a steak till it's shoe leather, or the other extreme where you just show a steak the grill on its way to a plate, doesn't mean that some folks don't enjoy it that way.

Courtney6682 likes this.
  17. Hockey89

Hockey89 Well-Known Member

Those folks who order it well done at a great steakhouse and will get the worse cut ever.... I' told my old GF who used to order her steak medium well and she got laughing every time bc her cut was inferior every single time.. It turned into a joke until she switched to medium.. High end places do not want to cook well done steak... Of course, you can do whatever you want...

jaklgreen and Courtney6682 like this.
  18. Hockey89

Hockey89 Well-Known Member

What you don't want every bit of juice sucked out of the steak...

jaklgreen and elhefe4 like this.
  19. danyoung56

I discovered many years ago that lesser done means more flavor. But there's only so far into the blood red end of the spectrum that I'll go.

20. jaklgreen

Rare steak is one thing, but this new trend to cook pork under grosses me out.

Souvenir likes this.