October vs December

So the family and I are heading home in the new year and we've narrowed the dates to either 10/12 to 10/24 OR 11/29 to 12/11. We'll also be staying in Uni for 4 nights following WDW. Being more than a little type A I've compiled a pro/con list to help us decide. Does anyone have any tips to help us choose or info about points we might not have considered?

OCT
Cheaper flights (from Australia)
MNSSHP
Warmer weather
F&W

DEC
Cheaper accommodation
MVMCP
Lower crowds (according to Touring Plans)
No HHN at Uni (I'd rather avoid)

lostpro9het

IMO, December. Unless you're a Halloween fanatic who takes joy in overpaying for undersized appetizers, I'd skip the October dates and crowds. The Christmas decorations are more impressive across all the parks than the Halloween decorations are. The lower crowds would make it more enjoyable for the family, IMO, and like you said the accommodations are priced better. Really, though, in the end Epcot is the only park really hit with F&W madness. Not knowing how good a deal the airfare is between the two trips matters too I suppose. The accommodation savings could be eaten up by airfare making the the savings between the two choices moot. But at the end of the day this Yank would pic December.

Upvote 0

MorganKelly

I think either is great and both have pros and cons. Which park party - MNSSHP or MVMCP - is more to your liking? Is the Epcot Food & Wine Festival something you'd enjoy? Are you looking forward to seeing the holiday decorations? Would you prefer warmer weather (chilly weather is more of a possibility in December, although we have experienced glorious temps on many occasions) so you might be able to use the pools or visit a water park? We have really enjoyed visits at both times of the year. We pretty much base our decision on air fare, but not always. I don't think any time of the year is particularly crowd-free any more. All of the special park events are well-attended and quite crowded. This adds to the festive air, but may not be everyone's cup of tea (but the parties are lots of fun for sure!). I would probably opt for December if "forced" to choose, but you can't go wrong with either choice.

Upvote 0

ExtinctJenn

We've been during both months and I will say that October is my preference. My reasons however seem to contradict with some of the information you posted. The conflict is mostly due to *when* in December you are looking at going though. In our experience, October has had much lower crowds than December but mostly because of when we've been. The last 2 weeks of December crowds are much higher (MK has closed due to capacity today for example) and room rates are as well. As for temperature, being a former Floridian I can tell you that ultimately, the temp during the day isn't going to be that big of a factor between the two. Yes it's slightly cooler in December but only slightly. The key difference is that December is a good bit cooler at night than October would be. The decorations for the respective holidays during both months are both awesome and worth enjoying, as are the parties from what I've heard (we've never done one). You'll also tend to see room/package discounts offered that can apply to both options. Overall, looking at the dates you're considering, honestly I think your deciding factor is really which holiday experience you'd prefer. Other than that, each of your sets of dates is going to result in very similar experiences and either option is awesome!

Upvote 0

WDW 3

Having done both and both parties I would recommend October. In October the crowds it was less crowded, evening temps were nice and we prefer the parade at MNSSHP. We just got back and thought the crowds were quite a bit larger in Dec. They put up extra ropes for the Great Movie Ride for the queue outside. Never seen that before! We were wearing mittens at night and have never done that in October. Definitely layering and having to carry the extra jacket after it warmed up. That being said we are so happy to have finally gone to the Candlelight Processional it was amazing!

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Those two times of year are our favorite BUT early December is out favorite!!!! Lots to do around the parks and resorts that celebrates the holidays, and lower crowds. When you would be going is perfect because it is after Thanksgiving but before the big crowds for Christmas week. To me and the DH it's just a lot more magical that time of year. Love MVMCP, Candlelight Processional, Osborne Lights, Holidays around the world,huge Gimgerbread displays at several of the resorts, and so much more!! Also Universal we visited at this time as well in early-mid December and their crowd levels are low as well. It just all depends on what you want to do and experience. F&W and MNSSHP Are wonderful too. We have done December 3 times the past 4 years and once for 2 times for F&W. :)

Upvote 0

smk

No one has even mentioned Pop Warner Football in early December, the taping of the Christmas parade. I have heard ugly thing about the crowds and unruly kids during those Dec. dates. I love October, weather perfect, lower crowds.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
No one has even mentioned Pop Warner Football in early December, the taping of the Christmas parade. I have heard ugly thing about the crowds and unruly kids during those Dec. dates. I love October, weather perfect, lower crowds.
We have never had any problems and are usually there during both events in early December. Never noticed any unruly kids and the parade taping stuff at MK really did not affect anything but Main Street area on those days ,it has never been bad at all for us. :)

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Having done both, I'd vote for October. Dressing in costume for MNSSHP is a blast. The F&W F is also wonderful provided you skip crowded weekend evenings. The weather is nicer and the parks are open a bit later. That said, one Pro you left off the December column is the Osborne Lights which were breathtaking. As for HHN at Uni, since Uni closes relatively early year round, HHN won't really affect park hours. It's a late night event.

Upvote 0

jambisket

All are good dates and great times to be at WDW. Ive been during those times. Love them both. In October, the fall decorations are out and so pretty plus a feeling of Halloween is in the air. Ive noticed increased crowds in October the last few times I went but that might not be the case all the time. I went in late Oct 2009 and the crowds and weather were perfect. I went again in early Oct and it was more crowded and warmer during the day. Ive only been once in Dec
Went 2 yrs ago for my 50th birthday in early Dec , and if I could go at that time every year I would. I cant explain how magical it was!
Not very crowded. Beautiful weather. Santa and snow:)

Upvote 0

WonderlandAlice

Original Poster
Soooooo we've decided.....December! Well very late November and early December anyways. We'll be in the World from 11/28/15 to 12/11/15 and in Uni from 12/11/15 to 12/15/15. Hopefully by going so early in the season we can avoid the crowds and with any luck the weather won't be too chilly.

My first ever WDW trip ('89) was the same time of year so there's gonna be a certain level of nostalgia for me but to add in MVMCP, Holidays Around the World, GF gingerbread house, Jingle Cruise, Osbourne lights, Santa(!) .... 309 days seems like a really long time right now!!! :happy::happy::happy:

Upvote 0

StephK

I'm From Australia too and have been deciding between pretty much the exact same times, just a little earlier in October. :) I'm leaning toward October purely because its closer and I don't want to wait haha. It is hard though because I would LOVE to see Disney decked out at Christmas, oh gosh 1st World problems ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom